Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: UHD DLNA Server to Slow issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Greetings. 

I'm running into Server to Slow errors when trying to watch UHD movies from my local desktop Plex over DLNA (Eero WiFi router and re-purposed Nighthawk as a Switch) to my Odroid N2 (4 GM RAM). I followed the guide https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache to increase the video cache, but it had no impact. 
I'd like to run a LAN speed test between my desktop and Odroid to see what throughput I'm getting, but don't see the Network Tools Add (which I think has iPerf). Is there a recommended guide for testing local speeds?

Anything else I can do to improve video playback quality? Have a 75ft a ethernet cable coming on Amazon, but would love to see if there's a way I could keep things wireless. 

Thanks
Can you copy a large file from your Desktop to your Odroid and observe the transfer speed?
(2020-03-27, 23:15)whysoserious Wrote: [ -> ]Can you copy a large file from your Desktop to your Odroid and observe the transfer speed?
Sorry, I'm a bit new at this. I've only used the DLNA capabilities and haven't hosted anything locally. How would I copy a file to the Odroid over the network? Note: I did move the desktop out to my living room and plugged it into the same eero and that seemed to work, so my guess is it is a wireless bandwidth issue.
What flavor of Kodi are you running on your Odroid? Is it LibrELEC? What O/S is running on your desktop?
(2020-03-28, 00:56)whysoserious Wrote: [ -> ]What flavor of Kodi are you running on your Odroid? Is it LibrELEC? What O/S is running on your desktop?
I'm running Coreelec on my Odroid and Windows 10 on my desktop
(2020-03-28, 01:00)jjam103 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-03-28, 00:56)whysoserious Wrote: [ -> ]What flavor of Kodi are you running on your Odroid? Is it LibrELEC? What O/S is running on your desktop?
Ok, good. 

Open up a File Explorer window in Windows 10 and navigate to your Odroid device (in the File Explorer address bar put \\your.odroid.ip\Downloads). For example, mine would be \\192.168.1.21\Downloads. Open another File Explorer window in Windows 10 and navigate to your media files, find a big one (> 1 gB) and copy it over to the Odroid Downploads folder and observe the transfer speeds.
(2020-03-28, 01:20)whysoserious Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-03-28, 01:00)jjam103 Wrote: [ -> ]
Ok, good. 

Open up a File Explorer window in Windows 10 and navigate to your Odroid device (in the File Explorer address bar put \\your.odroid.ip\Downloads). For example, mine would be \\192.168.1.21\Downloads. Open another File Explorer window in Windows 10 and navigate to your media files, find a big one (> 1 gB) and copy it over to the Odroid Downploads folder and observe the transfer speeds. 
Thanks. Yeah it seems I'm only getting between 10 & 20 mbs transfer speed (which is surprising as my WiFi network gets 40mbs uplink in that room and I figured it would be better locally with 3 eeros in the path) so that would explain why 4K is falling down. 

So I guess the answer is get an ethernet chord. In the meantime I can attach a 12 TB external directly to the Odroid and (I think) I should be able to point my Plex at the that drive for library management purposes.