Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Upgraded to 18.6 and now none of my media plays with 5.1 sound. It's all Stereo.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I upgraded to 18.6 and now all of my media plays as Stereo sound.  I've gone to settings, set everything to pass through and 5.1 but I still only get stereo sound out.  

I'm running on Windows with a Denon AVR-X3600H receiver.
@djc6535

Check your Windows Denon device is correctly setup. Then check you are using WASAPI-DENON in the Kodi audio settings..

If that is not the problem, provide a Debug Log which captures you playing a problem movie.
(2020-03-29, 01:51)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]@djc6535

Check your Windows Denon device is correctly setup. Then check you are using WASAPI-DENON in the Kodi audio settings..

If that is not the problem, provide a Debug Log which captures you playing a problem movie.

Went through config and even tested each speaker individually on the Sound/Configure window.  Everything looks good.  Here's the log:

@Karellen- log removed
@djc6535

Please do not paste logs in the forum, as stated in bold red above the Post Reply/Preview Post buttons. Use Kodi Paste Site

That is not a Debug Log as you have not enabled debug mode.

No Limits is banned from this forum. Please read our Forum Rules and view our example list of Banned Add-ons (wiki). You will need to clean your system before we can provide further assistance.
(2020-03-30, 05:54)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]@djc6535

Please do not paste logs in the forum, as stated in bold red above the Post Reply/Preview Post buttons. Use Kodi Paste Site

That is not a Debug Log as you have not enabled debug mode.

No Limits is banned from this forum. Please read our Forum Rules and view our example list of Banned Add-ons (wiki). You will need to clean your system before we can provide further assistance.
My apologies.  I did hit the "Enable Debug Log" button but I didn't reboot. 

Can you please check the log here:  https://paste.kodi.tv/eneyirelom.kodi
According to the log Kodi is sending 5.1 channels to the AVR, so are you sure you haven't changed something on the AVR? In both cases audio is AAC which is sent as Multichannel PCM, so maybe Stereo sound mode is set for audio of type PCM as typically AVR's (don't about Denon specifically) remember the last used sound mode engaged for each audio type.
(2020-04-05, 11:53)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]According to the log Kodi is sending 5.1 channels to the AVR, so are you sure you haven't changed something on the AVR? In both cases audio is AAC which is sent as Multichannel PCM, so maybe Stereo sound mode is set for audio of type PCM as typically AVR's (don't about Denon specifically) remember the last used sound mode engaged for each audio type.

It's certainly possible there's something off with the AVR, but I've tried factory resetting it and have the same problem.  

Also, when I go to windows and run the "individual speaker test" that seems to work as expected.
Do you have any files with Dolby Digital or DTS audio? if so can you try playing them and get a new log while doing so, as AAC is not a passthrough format.
(2020-04-05, 19:56)djc6535 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-04-05, 11:53)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]According to the log Kodi is sending 5.1 channels to the AVR, so are you sure you haven't changed something on the AVR? In both cases audio is AAC which is sent as Multichannel PCM, so maybe Stereo sound mode is set for audio of type PCM as typically AVR's (don't about Denon specifically) remember the last used sound mode engaged for each audio type.

It's certainly possible there's something off with the AVR, but I've tried factory resetting it and have the same problem.  

Also, when I go to windows and run the "individual speaker test" that seems to work as expected.    
A couple of things:

1. If passthrough is enabled in Kodi settings your Windows speaker setup is irrelevant. After all, the signal is left untouched and decoded by the receiver. Therefore, we can eliminate Windows as the culprit. 
2. I have a Marantz AVR which is basically the same (Denon is owned by the same company). There are settings on these devices that force multichannel PCM audio to be played back as stereo. I found this on Denon's websiteWhen multi-channel signals are inputted, they are mixed down to 2-channel audio and are played back with no additional surround sound processing. Can you confirm that other devices (i.e. Blu-ray player, game console, etc.) have no issues with the same source material? 
3. Based on your original post, I assume surround sound was working with Kodi 18.5 and lower? Have there been any other changes in your setup, especially cabling? Does your hardware chain look something like this: Kodi box > AVR > TV (and not Kodi box > TV > AVR)?