Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: New Add-on Type: Content Provider
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Kodi provides the option to be extended by (video) plugins. However, these plugins are just stupid lists of movies/tv shows/... Kodi does neither get sematic information of the content nor integrates them into local library. For a conform look and feel, it would be great to give Plugin developer the option to integrate content into Kodis library. I know, there already are plugins like OSMOSIS, but why not provide a clean python interface?
The end user benefits from faster access, better integration and all the Kodi library features.

Feature Request: Please provide an python API to integrate Video/Audio content into Kodi library. Maybe something like a content-provider extension. The developer could define in addon.xml, which kind of data an addon provides, e.g. movies, and an update interval. Kodi calls the Addon in this interval and adds the content.

Since content for streaming providers changes from time to time, it would be great to allow developers to return an "expire" or "update" timestamp for the content. If the "expire" is reached, content could be removed from database. When "update" is reached, Kodi should call a defined entrypoint to fetch updated data of the video entry.
(2020-03-29, 16:25)flubshi Wrote: [ -> ].....Since content for streaming providers changes from time to time, it would be great to allow developers to return an "expire" or "update" timestamp for the content. If the "expire" is reached, content could be removed from database. When "update" is reached, Kodi should call a defined entrypoint to fetch updated data of the video entry.

That smells like wanting to add piracy links to Kodi.........
(2020-03-29, 20:52)tjay260476 Wrote: [ -> ]That smells like wanting to add piracy links to Kodi......... 
Thanks for your foolish comment!

I talk about an option for video addons like Netflix, Amazon to integrate the Kodi library. In my case, I am maintaining a video addon for waipu.tv. They provide a small movie and tv show database (legal, no piracy) I would like to see integrated in Kodi.
Actually it isn't a foolish comment, as whilst your usage case is perfectly acceptable and legitimate, such a feature could well be abused by unscrupulous peddlers of pirated media.
(2020-03-29, 22:11)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ], such a feature could well be abused by unscrupulous peddlers of pirated media.
Like every other Kodi feature could be abused for that!?!
To some degree yes.

I was more commenting on your reaction to the previous post than the feature request itself.
It was the wording of the sentence that got me twitchy....
I believe this work https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=224794 may eventually allow this.
@flubshi,
Since your are an addon developer, jump in the thread and see if you can do it now. Ask for direction or give guidance as to what you need. Let's get the conversation started.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=224794
I was busy last days, sorry: @LongMan & @jjd-uk the thread you linked looks promising. Thanks a lot. I will take a deeper look into it asap!

I think this solves my feature request Smile
@flubshi,
Montellese has started a wiki to give some background on the concept and guidance on the development of a mediaimporter. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

https://github.com/Montellese/xbmc/wiki/Media-Import

Cheers,
LongMan
(2020-04-05, 00:53)LongMan Wrote: [ -> ]Montellese has started a wiki to give some background on the concept and guidance on the development of a mediaimporter. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot! I already started to implement my first media provider. It is very basic, but it works - I started the my first movie from media library  Smile .
I will provide feedback to Montellese via Github.