Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Hide the mouse / pointer Icon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, 

when I run Kodi in Raspbian, the mouse completely disappears by default. 

However when I run Kodi in Ubuntu (x64), often times I can see the mouse pointer whilst in Kodi (and especially if an app such as Software Updates appears in the background, behind Kodi). 

Is there a setting to make sure the mouse / pointer icon is always hidden when Kodi is always on top?
(Except for when you actually shake the mouse to get it to appear, as you would in Kodi-Raspbian). 

Now I have a hack using an app called Unclutter, which is cron'd to run every minute just in case, but I'd much rather know the recipe that Kodi uses in Raspbian so I can apply it in Kodi-Ubuntu. 

Any help most gratefully received!
Which Ubuntu version? I don't have mouse problems at all in 16.04, so perhaps 18.04+ is a bit more picky.
(2020-03-31, 19:59)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]Which Ubuntu version? I don't have mouse problems at all in 16.04, so perhaps 18.04+ is a bit more picky.

Ah sorry it's 18.04 but that's been upgraded gradually from 16.04 (via non LTS releases, until arriving and sticking on 18.04) and always had the issue...? 

Often times I'll wake my TV up and go to watch something on Kodi and the mouse pointer will be there (either from software updates running in GUI form, in a background window behind Kodi) or I don't know something else. Literally never had this problem ever in multiple instances of installation on Raspbian-Kodi... I wish I knew it's special sauce... there must be some option to just make Kodi be always on top, and the mouse always hidden... hmmmm.....
Did you un-check System/Input/Enable mouse and touch screen support ?
(2020-03-31, 20:26)FXB78 Wrote: [ -> ]Did you un-check System/Input/Enable mouse and touch screen support ?
Yes thanks, when I checked last night it was already on the white (off) setting rather than the red (on) setting. When you turn it on, you can see the little fat kodi mouse pointer icon appear for a few seconds and then disappear, so I know it was in the off position already. 

Thanks for your suggestion though!
I'm on 18.04 and the only time I see the standard mouse pointer is if I use alt-tab to switch away from Kodi.  Even if I put a terminal window over the top of Kodi, the mouse only appears in that window.  Have you got Kodi set to run in full screen or in a window ?  Mine is set to full screen in case it helps.
I've got the same problem with Kodi 19.1 on Debian 11.0 (Bullseye) for amd64.  I've got my system set up to automatically log in to Gnome 3 and then auto-run Kodi, and the mouse pointer is always visible on startup, and doesn't go away unless I physically move the mouse.  "Enable mouse and touch screen support" is disabled in the Kodi system settings.

If anyone knows how to hide the mouse pointer when Kodi starts up, I'd love to hear it.
(2021-08-22, 19:39)Logological Wrote: [ -> ]I've got the same problem with Kodi 19.1 on Debian 11.0 (Bullseye) for amd64.  I've got my system set up to automatically log in to Gnome 3 and then auto-run Kodi, and the mouse pointer is always visible on startup, and doesn't go away unless I physically move the mouse.  "Enable mouse and touch screen support" is disabled in the Kodi system settings.

If anyone knows how to hide the mouse pointer when Kodi starts up, I'd love to hear it.
If you have Kodi auto-start, why not use this guide https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955 ? Works for me and no mouse pointer seen except when I use my laptop's touchpad or virtual pointer by Yatse remote.

One hint: to enable VAAPI on Debian, make sure the user running Kodi is in `audio`, `video` and `render` groups.
(2021-08-23, 17:54)basilgello Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-08-22, 19:39)Logological Wrote: [ -> ]If anyone knows how to hide the mouse pointer when Kodi starts up, I'd love to hear it.
If you have Kodi auto-start, why not use this guide https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955 ? Works for me and no mouse pointer seen except when I use my laptop's touchpad or virtual pointer by Yatse remote.

That guide (or at least whatever is in the first post; I didn't read all 340 pages of messages) presents an end-to-end guide for setting up a computer with Kodi—and nothing other than Kodi, judging by the systemd configuration file given. I don't want to do that because my computer is already set up the way I like it, and runs a lot of things I need other than Kodi. In particular, I don't run Kodi as a systemd service because I sometimes want to Alt-Tab away from it and use the web browser or other applications in the desktop environment. Unfortunately, I've got a feeling that it's precisely running Kodi as a service (rather than auto-starting it from within Gnome 3) that avoids displaying the mouse pointer for you. But if I'm wrong, and you can point to the specific part of the instructions that disables the mouse pointer when Kodi is started, I'd be happy to try those.

I've already tried unclutter, which doesn't work (presumably because Bullseye uses Wayland instead of the regular X.Org).
(2021-08-23, 18:19)Logological Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-08-23, 17:54)basilgello Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-08-22, 19:39)Logological Wrote: [ -> ]If anyone knows how to hide the mouse pointer when Kodi starts up, I'd love to hear it.

That guide (or at least whatever is in the first post; I didn't read all 340 pages of messages) presents an end-to-end guide for setting up a computer with Kodi—and nothing other than Kodi, judging by the systemd configuration file given. I don't want to do that because my computer is already set up the way I like it, and runs a lot of things I need other than Kodi. In particular, I don't run Kodi as a systemd service because I sometimes want to Alt-Tab away from it and use the web browser or other applications in the desktop environment. Unfortunately, I've got a feeling that it's precisely running Kodi as a service (rather than auto-starting it from within Gnome 3) that avoids displaying the mouse pointer for you. But if I'm wrong, and you can point to the specific part of the instructions that disables the mouse pointer when Kodi is started, I'd be happy to try those.

I've already tried unclutter, which doesn't work (presumably because Bullseye uses Wayland instead of the regular X.Org).

The issue might occur due to Wayland. The guide linked uses X11, not Wayland. I can try reproducing your setup, but I need a Kodi log on https://paste.kodi.tv and the steps how you configured Kodi autostart.
(2021-08-23, 19:18)basilgello Wrote: [ -> ]The issue might occur due to Wayland. The guide linked uses X11, not Wayland. I can try reproducing your setup, but I need a Kodi log on https://paste.kodi.tv and the steps how you configured Kodi autostart.

Thank you!

To get Kodi to auto-start, I've simply configured gdm3 to automatically log in the user kodi (by setting "AutomaticLoginEnable = true" and "AutomaticLogin = kodi" in /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf) and I created a symlink from /home/kodi/.config/autostart/kodi.desktop to /usr/share/applications/kodi.desktop.

The log of Kodi starting up (up until I start interacting with it) is available at https://paste.kodi.tv/misavobovi.kodi.
(2021-08-22, 19:39)Logological Wrote: [ -> ]I've got the same problem with Kodi 19.1 on Debian 11.0 (Bullseye) for amd64.  I've got my system set up to automatically log in to Gnome 3 and then auto-run Kodi, and the mouse pointer is always visible on startup, and doesn't go away unless I physically move the mouse.  "Enable mouse and touch screen support" is disabled in the Kodi system settings.

Thanks for reporting this here.
I have the same symptom. I guess it has to do with wayland.
To help developers: @Logological, can you please switch to an X11 session and test it that way again. (Ask if you need help here)

Another interesting information would be the channel you installed kodi from. (flatpak or debian sources?)
Switching to X11 solves this issue for me on debian 11 with kodi installed from debian sources.
There seems to be no issue for this, yet.
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/search?q=wa...ype=issues
(2021-09-05, 22:10)topasBo Wrote: [ -> ]To help developers: @Logological, can you please switch to an X11 session and test it that way again. (Ask if you need help here)

Another interesting information would be the channel you installed kodi from. (flatpak or debian sources?)
Switching to X11 (by setting WaylandEnable=false in /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf) works around the issue for me.  I can probably leave things this way, but since Wayland is supposed to replace X11, and is already the default nowadays, it would be nice if there were a Wayland solution.

I've installed Kodi from the official Debian repository.