Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: What is the best hardware for media storage?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi guys,

I wish someone can give me a simple suggestion to my situation here.

I have a laptop running Kodi software which is working very fast and nice. I have about 10 external HDD in all shapes, brands and sizes which are used as storage for my media. these external drives are connected to a USB hub and the HUB is connected to the laptop.

I was happy with this setup, but recently some of these external drives started to fail. So I thought to myself maybe this isn't the best way to store the media for streaming purposes.

My question is, what could be a good hardware solution also that can just store the media data and stream it through the USB cable to my laptop and not through the network. I have the laptop running all the apps that I need, so I wouldn't need this hardware to have a processor or RAM or anything. I have about 20TB of data and growing.

Also just a side question:
I wonder if there is some kind of hardware with about 100TB that could be divided into two section.
One section that is always connected to the laptop for streaming.
The other part is configured from the Windows laptop so that it connect itself automatically when it detects that I add new media to the first section of the hardware, back up this new media to the second section and then disconnect this second section to keep it safe and secured.

Thanks,
Jaqo
You can build every type of NAS that you need, with storage upto a couple of petabytes.
I would recommend some type of RAID if you are going 10+ TB. A ready-to-go NAS such as Synology comes to mind.
8TB hdd's are the sweet spot I guess at the moment. A NAS with 6 or more drives would be a minimum for you, perhaps a DiskStation DS3018xs ?
One thing though, the harddisks yuo put in any NAS will be (re)formatted.
My question is, what could be a good hardware solution also that can just store the media data and stream it through the USB cable to my laptop and not through the network. I have the laptop running all the apps that I need, so I wouldn't need this hardware to have a processor or RAM or anything. 

i have a ICY BOX IB-3640SU3 External 4-bay JBOD system for 3.5 Inch SATA HDDs
Fast data transfers
A USB 3.0 port allows you to copy or move files at an ultra-fast 5.0Gb/s transfer rate.  The outfitted eSATA port, on the other hand, achieves a maximum 3.0Gb/s data transfer rate.

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3156/r...index.html
(2020-04-02, 11:48)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]8TB hdd's are the sweet spot I guess at the moment. A NAS with 6 or more drives would be a minimum for you, perhaps a DiskStation DS3018xs ?

Hi Klojum and thanks for your reply. I took a look at this hardware DiskStation DS3018xs, but I have a question might be stupid. Does it come empty and then I buy harddisks to fill it in? Could you please put a link from amazone or something just to make sure what to look for when I decide to buy?
(2020-04-02, 15:39)Jaqo Wrote: [ -> ]Does it come empty and then I buy harddisks to fill it in? Could you please put a link from amazone or something just to make sure what to look for when I decide to buy?

Sadly, you'll have to buy harddrives separately. I'm not really an Amazon fan/user, so you'll have to search a bit for your own area.
Here is an Amazon link to said NAS https://www.amazon.com/Synology-Bay-Disk...075N17DLY/ Notice how it says (diskless) in the title means you are just buying the NAS and NOT getting any disks so you need to supply your own to the system to get it up and running
Thank you very much
Sorry to bother you again guys. Can someone post a picture of this harddisk that goes inside this synology NAS thing. I have been looking online and I am not 100% sure how the disk looks like or which connection it needs. I just want to make sure I get the right stuff. Thanks you very much
(2020-04-02, 16:25)Jaqo Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone post a picture of this harddisk that goes inside this synology NAS thing.
They look as your typical 3.5" (or 2.5") SATA drives.
But search for harddisks that are specifically meant for a NAS.
You'll see it soon enough in the descriptions.
Ironwolf drives for example are mad for NAS and so are Western Digital reds AKA WD Red and Red Pro.
Switches offend mode to kill. (I am in high in spirit (and no not drunk) so that is a joke. Joke being attempt of humour. Attempt of humour failing miserably)

Firstly I would not listen to the techno nerds. You do not need R2D2 and borg technology from the 24th century and to pay millions of pounds for your storage needs.

1) A NAS with raid and bit polarity tea maker machine are expensive
2) All hard drives will fail so always be prepared to buy a new one
3) It is cheaper to buy second hand computer parts and build a new PC than buy a NAS
4) Only fit as many hard drives in as you do SATA slots for. Do not use SATA cards for extra storage, especially cheap ones as the drives will fail quicker. (I done that I brought eight drives 4 on expansion, 4 on mobo. I still have the mobo drives)
5) Do not back up on to blu ray discs in the end that costs a fortune both in money and in time backing them up.
6) The best solution would be to back up your hard drive on a 1 to 1 basis. Why do I say this for? Twilight zone moment you have a raid system you have 3 main hard drives and one for data redundancy. One of the main drives dies and so does your data redundancy drive. Oooops you lost the lot.

The best and most sincere advice that I can give you, is do not have OCD because it can and will take up your life. I was living my life to get the best HTPC network out there. I had to buy every single music CD, I then had to buy every single movie, I then had to buy every single computer game.

You will never have that, because you cannot buy every single movie, CD in the World,  I have over 16,000 thousand movies. I still have to watch about 15,000 of them to give an example. If one or more hard drive goes down, I can dust off the cobwebs and go old skool.

However, unless you are going to buy an all singing all dancing storinator why bother spending $500 on a NAS when you can spend $100 on a cheap mobo.

Please note that I used to be a techno geek, but now I am a life hacker.
To the OP - you mentioned laptop and Windows, so I am assuming that your HDD's are in NTFS and are connected via USB. What might be an idea is the NUC, which will take Windows on, this way you can replicate the same setup as you already have.
(2020-04-02, 20:15)tjay260476 Wrote: [ -> ]To the OP - you mentioned laptop and Windows, so I am assuming that your HDD's are in NTFS and are connected via USB. What might be an idea is the NUC, which will take Windows on, this way you can replicate the same setup as you already have.

Yes as I mentioned in my original post I am using external drive with USB Hub and no I don't need NUC I need just better storage. Ilike the laptop that is running Windows and Kodi because it is fast and really powerful so I don't need any memory or processor power, just storage for data that's all I need. Thanks
Thanks Video Titles for taking the time to make this long reply. Most of it although useful, does not apply to my case I do not use CDs or play game and I have no idea why you mention about your hacking skills, they are not needed to solve this issue I guess.
(2020-04-02, 17:32)Topken Wrote: [ -> ]Ironwolf drives for example are mad for NAS and so are Western Digital reds AKA WD Red and Red Pro.

Thank you very much. This is really helpful
Pages: 1 2 3