Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: "iPlayer WWW" add-on
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone else having trouble playing the live channels today or is it just me?
(2016-02-25, 19:44)stammie Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone else having trouble playing the live channels today or is it just me?

Same problem here Stammie.
No issue with catch-up content or through browser but no HD live content at any bitrate on any channel with this add-on.
(2016-02-25, 19:44)stammie Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone else having trouble playing the live channels today or is it just me?

1.7Mbps and below live streams work for me. Try turning off autoplay and check if any work for you. Hopefully the BBC servers are just busy today.
Quote:1.7Mbps and below live streams work for me. Try turning off autoplay and check if any work for you. Hopefully the BBC servers are just busy today.
Correct.
SD streams at 1.7Mbps do work indeed but anything higher fails.
I heard about a month ago that the BBC was going to stop allowing VPN's to access content (like Netflix). Sad

-cog
(2016-02-26, 00:22)tehcog Wrote: [ -> ]I heard about a month ago that the BBC was going to stop allowing VPN's to access content (like Netflix). Sad

-cog

Did I miss a post here? Who said anything about VPNs?
Hi,
I just tried out the listening to the radio with the plugin, but when I select a station I get the error message "BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only". I am outside of the UK, but I am entitled to listen to the BBC radio; programmes are blocked on a case by case basis when there are rights issues.

I can get access to the radio stations through other plugins but was hoping to be able to make use of the high quality streams the BBC provides.

Garynl
(2016-02-26, 02:29)garynl Wrote: [ -> ]I am outside of the UK, but I am entitled to listen to the BBC radio

Whether you are 'entitled' to listen/watch a program is not governed by you or the add-on/plugin discussed on this thread.
The add-on just facilitates listening/watching through Kodi and eliminates the use of a browser.

Beeb website states: Is the BBC iPlayer Radio app available outside the UK?
The BBC iPlayer Radio app is not presently available to download outside the UK at launch. We are focused initially on optimising the app for UK Licence Fee payers.

Perhaps you will have better luck by contacting the BBC directly?
(2016-02-26, 03:15)OTinley Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-02-26, 02:29)garynl Wrote: [ -> ]I am outside of the UK, but I am entitled to listen to the BBC radio

Whether you are able to listen/watch a program is not governed by the add-on/plugin discussed on this thread.
The add-on just facilitates listening/watching through Kodi and eliminates the use of a browser.
If you are using other addons and you are successfully listening/watching BBC programming, then those are probably on that list : banned add-ons (wiki)
If you have issues with the fact you are not able to watch or listen BBC programming, please feel free to contact the BBC.

No, the BBC does not geo restrict the use of its radio broadcasts, only its tv channels. I can use the iplayer in a browser to listen to the radio. The error message that gets displayed would suggest that the addon is treating radio 5 live as if it were a tv stream.
If that is the case, I stand corrected and perhaps, CaptainT will be able to provide an answer for your dilemma .
(2016-02-26, 03:24)garynl Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-02-26, 03:15)OTinley Wrote: [ -> ]

Whether you are able to listen/watch a program is not governed by the add-on/plugin discussed on this thread.
If you are using other addons and you are successfully listening/watching BBC programming, then those are probably on that list : banned add-ons (wiki)
If you have issues with the fact you are not able to watch or listen BBC programming, please feel free to contact the BBC.

No, the BBC does not geo restrict the use of its radio broadcasts, only its tv channels. I can use the iplayer in a browser to listen to the radio. The error message that gets displayed would suggest that the addon is treating radio 5 live as if it were a tv stream.

We scrape the Radio streams from the same source as the TV programs, which is probably why the BBC geo-blocks you. I'll open up an issue at Github and see if we can find a source for the non-geo-blocked streams. The ones that used to be available were really low bitrate and came through the Flash player plugin. Remember this is not an official BBC product.

In the mean time you could use the Kodi Radio addon for the live streams.

No iPlayer HD live channels here for the last couple of days - anyone else still seeing the same?
Live HD channels not working for me too. Hope it's a short term problem because I watch them in preference to freeview which I only have in SD.
(2016-02-26, 20:20)apc01 Wrote: [ -> ]No iPlayer HD live channels here for the last couple of days - anyone else still seeing the same?

Yep still the same today,
I'm in the UK and am not using any DNS or VPN services, I've tried across various devices which were running different versions of Kodi, the same happens on 14.2, 15.2 and 16.0.
I've also tried with different ISP's, my VM cable connection, my phone's Three connection and a friend's EE connection.
The HD live streams work via a browser so I'd say the BBC has changed something which has broken this particular part of the addon Sad
The BBC has removed the ability to stream in HD permanently as they switch to HLS.
Even through their website and Iplayer, there are no options for HD live content. Only catch-up is available in HD.
Talking about going backwards...
BBC site:
Why can't I select the Video Quality (HD) setting anymore?

We’ve made improvements to the video playback protocol in iPlayer on some TV devices. This protocol means that programme playback will adapt to the speed of your internet connection. At present Live streaming for Smart TVs set-top boxes, Games Consoles and Blu-Ray devices is only available in Standard definition.

This means if you’re using a device that supports HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) you can chose to get the best quality video that your internet speed can support.

If your TV supports HLS and you use the iPlayer TV App. Then you will notice the HD switch has been removed from the iPlayer control bar. You can now choose to get the Best Quality video available and you can set this by going to Settings as you can see below, from this menu you should choose Video Quality: