Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: "iPlayer WWW" add-on
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Red Button streams are still in HD.
For those who care, Wales - France is showing there in HD versus standard def on BBC1.
(2016-02-26, 21:37)OTinley Wrote: [ -> ]The BBC has removed the ability to stream in HD permanently as they switch to HLS.
Even through their website and Iplayer, there are no options for HD live content. Only catch-up is available in HD.
Talking about going backwards...
BBC site:

I can still get 5166kbps through the website so I guess they forgot to switch those streams off,
but man what a bonehead move from them, especially when the Royal Charter is probably going to change and they will extend the license fee for Iplayer use as well!
Thanks to all for your help on the iPlayer "Live Content" issue.

However, I fell compelled to be trolled:

(2016-02-21, 10:14)Edge68 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-02-21, 09:04)primaeval Wrote: [ -> ]...

Thank for your help. It's all working fine now. It appears that I had VPN turned on.

(2016-02-26, 01:51)OTinley Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-02-26, 00:22)tehcog Wrote: [ -> ]I heard about a month ago that the BBC was going to stop allowing VPN's to access content (like Netflix). Sad

-cog

Did I miss a post here? Who said anything about VPNs?

OTinley, I'm sorry that you feel that way.

BTW, Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to hell in such a way that they are actually looking froward to the trip. Have a nice trip OTinley. Wink
tehcog,

My apologies and thank you for pointing out that I was not being very nice,
I will try to enter this forum free of the daily frustration next time.
Again, my apologies.
(2016-02-26, 03:35)OTinley Wrote: [ -> ]If that is the case, I stand corrected and perhaps, CaptainT will be able to provide an answer for your dilemma .

Actually, I cannot. All of the radio code was contributed by primaeval. He has already provided some hints here and I believe that he is looking into the possibility to add global radio streams.
This is a question about video quality. I have enabled the 1.7 Mbps stream (Limelight) as anything higher fails. Picture quality is quite poor. I also have an iPlayer app on my Samsung Blu-ray. My router is able to display bitrates for individual IP addresses, and shows slightly higher KB/s for the Kodi device (267 vs 226). Yet the picture quality is noticeably higher on the Samsung device, not far off my satelite feed. Am I comparing apples & oranges here, or is there a reason for this and anything I can do about it? Feel free to move if wrong place to post this.
(2016-02-26, 22:04)stammie Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-02-26, 21:37)OTinley Wrote: [ -> ]The BBC has removed the ability to stream in HD permanently as they switch to HLS.
Even through their website and Iplayer, there are no options for HD live content. Only catch-up is available in HD.
Talking about going backwards...
BBC site:
I can still get 5166kbps through the website so I guess they forgot to switch those streams off,
but man what a bonehead move from them, especially when the Royal Charter is probably going to change and they will extend the license fee for Iplayer use as well!

The website uses HDS, not HLS. That is a different streaming format wihich is not supported by Kodi so the add-on cannot use it.

The announcement specifically states that HD is no longer supported for HLS, which means the add-on cannot offer it any more. It seems odd to me that the Beeb is selling this as "improvements to the video playback protocol".

We can only hope that they bring back HD in the future. Until then, it seems that live HD needs to be discontinued. I will update the first post accordingly.

I would love to dig into this a bit more, but I am traveling quite a lot at the moment. Might take two months till I get to do a thorough investigation.
(2016-02-27, 14:44)jolly.tall Wrote: [ -> ]This is a question about video quality. I have enabled the 1.7 Mbps stream (Limelight) as anything higher fails. Picture quality is quite poor. I also have an iPlayer app on my Samsung Blu-ray. My router is able to display bitrates for individual IP addresses, and shows slightly higher KB/s for the Kodi device (267 vs 226). Yet the picture quality is noticeably higher on the Samsung device, not far off my satelite feed. Am I comparing apples & oranges here, or is there a reason for this and anything I can do about it? Feel free to move if wrong place to post this.

Are you referring to live or catchup content? If it is catchup content, try the 1.5 Mbps streams, this might be what your Blu-ray is using.

For live content, I honestly don't know. Perhaps the Blu-ray player has a better postprocessing engine than Kodi, but this is just guessing.
(2016-02-27, 14:53)CaptainT Wrote: [ -> ]Are you referring to live or catchup content? If it is catchup content, try the 1.5 Mbps streams, this might be what your Blu-ray is using.
Only live - I haven't tried catchup yet - just re-configuring everything after resetting back to clean.

(2016-02-27, 14:53)CaptainT Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps the Blu-ray player has a better postprocessing engine than Kodi, but this is just guessing.
Interesting idea - I'll try some other comparisons. Playing HD videos from files (mkv, etc) seems fine though.
(2016-02-27, 15:05)jolly.tall Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-02-27, 14:53)CaptainT Wrote: [ -> ]Are you referring to live or catchup content? If it is catchup content, try the 1.5 Mbps streams, this might be what your Blu-ray is using.
Only live - I haven't tried catchup yet - just re-configuring everything after resetting back to clean.

Interesting, I guess your Blu-ray really plays a different stream at about 1.5 Mbps. Does it offer any better quality than this? Maybe even HD?

You really got my attention: Perhaps they have improved the image quality after all, just that we are currently using the wrong way of accessing the HLS live streams, and consequently get the wrong streams alltogether.
(2016-02-27, 15:13)CaptainT Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting, I guess your Blu-ray really plays a different stream at about 1.5 Mbps. Does it offer any better quality than this? Maybe even HD?

Seems I was using the default SD setting for the Samsung H6500 iPlayer app. It does have HD also. Set to that it's around 160KB/s higher than SD (390KB/s over 10min avg) and subjectively looks as good as my Freesat feed.
(2016-02-27, 15:36)jolly.tall Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-02-27, 15:13)CaptainT Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting, I guess your Blu-ray really plays a different stream at about 1.5 Mbps. Does it offer any better quality than this? Maybe even HD?

Seems I was using the default SD setting for the Samsung H6500 iPlayer app. It does have HD also. Set to that it's around 160KB/s higher than SD (390KB/s over 10min avg) and subjectively looks as good as my Freesat feed.

Thanks for checking back. These bitrates seem in line with the old RTMP streams at 0.8, 1.5 and 3.2 Mbps. Just wondering if this really still is RTMP or if there is an HLS source that has not been found so far. I don't thnik these devices use HDS and the bitrates also don't match.

Very interesting indeed.
@garynl and other expats: I've got international radio working but I need some non-UK beta testers. There is a new location setting in Radio that needs changing to International. Grab the zip from: https://github.com/primaeval/plugin.video.iplayerwww
Beware: the quality is low for international users.
Hi Guys,

I am in UK and, obviously, the live streams in HD stopped working few days ago.
I did few tests today and my limit for live seems to be 2.7mbps with Limelight.
Needless to say that picture quality is quite poor compared to the HD quality.
(2016-02-27, 19:12)primaeval Wrote: [ -> ]@garynl and other expats: I've got international radio working but I need some non-UK beta testers. There is a new location setting in Radio that needs changing to International. Grab the zip from: https://github.com/primaeval/plugin.video.iplayerwww
Beware: the quality is low for international users.

I'll try it out this evening (after the cup final) or tomorrow and let you know if I find anything