Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: "iPlayer WWW" add-on
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2017-03-12, 04:03)CaptainT Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-03-11, 21:31)cmaines Wrote: [ -> ]DASH streams won't work for me at all - Kodi crashes completely. No problems with the HLS streams however. I'm running Kodi 17.1 RC1 and inputstream.adaptive v.1.0.7 on Android (Amazon FireTV Stick).
Can you try on 17.0, please? I don't​ see how the add-on could crash Kodi. If it happens during playback it is most likely a bug in Kodi or inputstream.adaptive itself.

I tried it on 17.0. Same behaviour - iPlayer looks like it's going to play the stream and then Kodi completely crashes. Just a thought, not knowing anything about DASH or the various inputstream plugins, could it be that additional plugins need to be enabled on Android besides just inputstream.adaptive? For instance, on Android, inputstream.adaptive is disabled by default according to the Kodi wiki.
(2017-03-13, 17:19)renzz Wrote: [ -> ]When using DASH it seems to have broken playback of any program saved as a Kodi Favourite. When you click on it nothing happens, but in the log I get

If I change the addon to use HLS streams it works ok.

I'm also tinkering with STRM files and I get the same thing if I create a file with this in it

I should say, using the addon as normal with DASH enabled works fine.

Thanks for the logs. It looks like Kodi tries to open the bookmarks with the default (old, ffmpeg-based) player instead of inputstream.adaptive. I must say, I am not surprised as the switch is done by setting a particular property of the listitem:

Code:
listitem.setPath(url)
listitem.setProperty('inputstreamaddon', 'inputstream.adaptive')
listitem.setProperty('inputstream.adaptive.manifest_type', 'mpd')

If this setting is not preserved in the bookmark, Kodi cannot recognize that it is a DASH stream and thus cannot play it back.

I can't test at the moment as I am not at home, but I will test this once I am back. Perhaps, there is a way to make the property stick to bookmarks as well. If not, this might be something which needs to be fixed in Kodi rather than the add-on.
(2017-03-13, 17:53)cmaines Wrote: [ -> ]I tried it on 17.0. Same behaviour - iPlayer looks like it's going to play the stream and then Kodi completely crashes. Just a thought, not knowing anything about DASH or the various inputstream plugins, could it be that additional plugins need to be enabled on Android besides just inputstream.adaptive? For instance, on Android, inputstream.adaptive is disabled by default according to the Kodi wiki.

Thanks for the test. You may be on to something here. Another user also reports problems with DASH and Android: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=302442. If this is the same issue, I don't see what the add-on could do for you. As it also occurs with other add-ons. It looks like a Kodi on Android or inputstream.adaptive on Android issue to me.
(2017-03-14, 02:34)CaptainT Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-03-13, 17:19)renzz Wrote: [ -> ]When using DASH it seems to have broken playback of any program saved as a Kodi Favourite. When you click on it nothing happens, but in the log I get

If I change the addon to use HLS streams it works ok.

I'm also tinkering with STRM files and I get the same thing if I create a file with this in it

I should say, using the addon as normal with DASH enabled works fine.

Thanks for the logs. It looks like Kodi tries to open the bookmarks with the default (old, ffmpeg-based) player instead of inputstream.adaptive. I must say, I am not surprised as the switch is done by setting a particular property of the listitem:

Code:
listitem.setPath(url)
listitem.setProperty('inputstreamaddon', 'inputstream.adaptive')
listitem.setProperty('inputstream.adaptive.manifest_type', 'mpd')

If this setting is not preserved in the bookmark, Kodi cannot recognize that it is a DASH stream and thus cannot play it back.

I can't test at the moment as I am not at home, but I will test this once I am back. Perhaps, there is a way to make the property stick to bookmarks as well. If not, this might be something which needs to be fixed in Kodi rather than the add-on.

You are right. The extra properties are needed which means you can't create a link from anywhere else: Favourites, TV Guides etc.

@peak3d said he'd discuss in internally with Team Kodi. Usually Kodi works out the type of stream based on the file name and invokes the right player from playercorefactory so you can make links from anywhere. Using extra properties is a strange way to go about it.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2480298
(2017-03-14, 08:32)primaeval Wrote: [ -> ]You are right. The extra properties are needed which means you can't create a link from anywhere else: Favourites, TV Guides etc.

@peak3d said he'd discuss in internally with Team Kodi. Usually Kodi works out the type of stream based on the file name and invokes the right player from playercorefactory so you can make links from anywhere. Using extra properties is a strange way to go about it.

Thanks for this. The reason I hit it is because I was looking to see if it was possible to integrate individual episodes (or whole series) on Iplayer into Kodi's own library (I would have thought this question had been asked before but I couldn't find it in this thread). I've seen other addons do this using STRM files, so basically you create a folder in local filestore (or wherever) and tell Kodi the content is TV. Then create a subfolder for each series (eg the BBC3 series 'Clique' in my logs), and for each episode add a .STRM file pointing to the individual episode within Iplayer WWW. Kodi will then scrape all the series info from thetvdb.com but use the Iplayer addon to actually play each episode.

For this to work, the addon would need to be able to generate the STRM files - and keep them up to date. If a new episode was added in Iplayer, it would need the addon to be aware of this and generate a new STRM file, but I guess that would imply it would need to be running all the time, and monitoring any series that you nominate.

Has any though been given to this feature before? Or is there a better way to do it?
(2017-03-14, 12:03)renzz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-03-14, 08:32)primaeval Wrote: [ -> ]You are right. The extra properties are needed which means you can't create a link from anywhere else: Favourites, TV Guides etc.

Thanks for this. The reason I hit it is because I was looking to see if it was possible to integrate individual episodes (or whole series) on Iplayer into Kodi's own library (I would have thought this question had been asked before but I couldn't find it in this thread). I've seen other addons do this using STRM files, so basically you create a folder in local filestore (or wherever) and tell Kodi the content is TV. Then create a subfolder for each series (eg the BBC3 series 'Clique' in my logs), and for each episode add a .STRM file pointing to the individual episode within Iplayer WWW. Kodi will then scrape all the series info from thetvdb.com but use the Iplayer addon to actually play each episode.

For this to work, the addon would need to be able to generate the STRM files - and keep them up to date. If a new episode was added in Iplayer, it would need the addon to be aware of this and generate a new STRM file, but I guess that would imply it would need to be running all the time, and monitoring any series that you nominate.

Has any though been given to this feature before? Or is there a better way to do it?

This commit should let you add the Dash streams to Favourites if you leave Autoplay on.
[EDIT] https://github.com/vonH/plugin.video.ipl...988b9bf198
I don't think it's going to be possible to add a direct link to the stream if the properties have to be attached. Links only have a url. There needs to be a bit more magic in playercorefactory to work out that the stream is Dash.
(2017-03-14, 12:35)primaeval Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think it's going to be possible to add a direct link to the stream if the properties have to be attached. Links only have a url. There needs to be a bit more magic in playercorefactory to work out that the stream is Dash.

I was messing with the playercorefactory configuration in the hopes that it would recognized the mime type application/dash+xml. No luck. I wasn't sure if it was that the streams did not have mime encoding or if that stream type was just not supported. If the DASH steams are mime encoded, it sure would be nice if the capabilities of Kodi/playercorefactory was extended ;-)
Hello there,

I would just like to point out that for some reason "DASH" settings always only pick the 540p stream quality of any show/program I chose.

If I switch to HLS, I always get the 720p.

Not sure why this is. I have a very high download speed from my Virgin ISP (I have the 200mb line).
System = Windows 10/Kodi 17
Not sure where I go for that log file lol.
(2017-03-16, 06:14)Oddsodz Wrote: [ -> ]Hello there,

I would just like to point out that for some reason "DASH" settings always only pick the 540p stream quality of any show/program I chose.

If I switch to HLS, I always get the 720p.

Not sure why this is. I have a very high download speed from my Virgin ISP (I have the 200mb line).
System = Windows 10/Kodi 17
Not sure where I go for that log file lol.

You can set a Minimum Bandwidth of 5000000 in the InputStream Adaptive addon to force 720p 50fps.

I think the addon might need a bit of work though to fallback on HLS streams if it can't find a Dash one.
I've just found a lot of Documentaries that are HLS only.

Personally I am treating Dash as experimental and sticking to HLS until you pry it out from my cold dead hands. Wink
(2017-03-16, 08:34)primaeval Wrote: [ -> ]Personally I am treating Dash as experimental and sticking to HLS until you pry it out from my cold dead hands. Wink
Apart from anything else Inputstream.Adaptive is not actually performing the adaptive part of it's name yet. My experience is unlike a lot of posters, I find DASH to be much inferior to HLS at the moment. I don't doubt that that will change.
Where can I download version 2.5.6 for Krypton - I want to downgrade from 3.0.0. Thanks.
(2017-03-17, 12:18)apc01 Wrote: [ -> ]Where can I download version 2.5.6 for Krypton - I want to downgrade from 3.0.0. Thanks.
There is no need to downgrade. Just switch the stream protocol to HLS and 3.0.0 will act like 2.5.6.
(2017-03-16, 08:34)primaeval Wrote: [ -> ]I think the addon might need a bit of work though to fallback on HLS streams if it can't find a Dash one.

Could you give me the names of some of these documentaries, please?

I would like to make sure the streams are completely missing and not just on the mediaset we currently use.
(2017-03-18, 08:13)CaptainT Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-03-16, 08:34)primaeval Wrote: [ -> ]I think the addon might need a bit of work though to fallback on HLS streams if it can't find a Dash one.

Could you give me the names of some of these documentaries, please?

I would like to make sure the streams are completely missing and not just on the mediaset we currently use.

A City Crowned With Green
Face to Face - With Martin Luther King
Zoo Quest
The People of Paradise

Basically all the old ones, especially David Attenborough documentaries.
(2017-03-18, 09:13)primaeval Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-03-18, 08:13)CaptainT Wrote: [ -> ]Could you give me the names of some of these documentaries, please?

A City Crowned With Green
Face to Face - With Martin Luther King
Zoo Quest
The People of Paradise

Basically all the old ones, especially David Attenborough documentaries.

Thanks a lot. These really don't have DASH streams at the moment. In fact, PC iPlayer falls back to RTMP (!) for these programmes, which I thought had been switched off by now.

So I agree with you, we need to implement some sort of intelligent fallback.

On the plus side: I discovered a new mediaselector format, which comes as JSON data. This should make parsing streams much easier as no more regular expressions will be required.