Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: "iPlayer WWW" add-on
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm also running Android 4.4.2 on a Minix box with 2.5.13. I followed your instructions here and it worked for me too. Thanks! Much appreciated.

What's the deal with Android 4.4.2 not recognising HTTPS? Is the OS simply not capable of dealing with it? I don't really want to have to junk my box just to get the latest Android version. It's only about a year old!

Would be nice to get the latest KODI version but it won't run on my box and I find I can't update the Android version either on this one! Is it possible to offer some sort of reverse KODI compatibility with these older boxes? I'm sure that there are thousands of people in the same position as me...

Any comments guys?
(2017-05-01, 14:07)gaztech46 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm also running Android 4.4.2 on a Minix box with 2.5.13. I followed your instructions here and it worked for me too. Thanks! Much appreciated.

What's the deal with Android 4.4.2 not recognising HTTPS? Is the OS simply not capable of dealing with it? I don't really want to have to junk my box just to get the latest Android version. It's only about a year old!

Would be nice to get the latest KODI version but it won't run on my box and I find I can't update the Android version either on this one! Is it possible to offer some sort of reverse KODI compatibility with these older boxes? I'm sure that there are thousands of people in the same position as me...

Any comments guys?

Have you considered LibreELEC?

https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-5274.html

Or FTMC?

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-supp...75588-ftmc
(2017-05-01, 14:07)gaztech46 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm also running Android 4.4.2 on a Minix box with 2.5.13. I followed your instructions here and it worked for me too. Thanks! Much appreciated.

Any comments guys?

It is due to newer tls protocols for https that aren't supported on the older version of python in Kodi 16.1 Jarvis on Android.

There are several things you can try.

SPMC comes with later versions of python but it might not be enough. I think SPMC stops at version 16.4.2 for Android 4.4.2.

There is another port of jarvis called FTMC which has later python versions.

There are also some forks of Kodi 17.1 Krypton for Android 4.4 but I'm not sure how reliable they are.

My favourite solution is to use LibreELEC instead of Android on my MXQ box.
https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-5274.html
I have it dual booting on an SD Card.
Pay attention to the instructions if you are going to do this so you don't brick your device.

[EDIT] I use the LibreELEC 7 Jarvis version as my MXQ couldn't handle the LibreELEC 8 Krypton version.
I would also recommend my Skin Tightener addon to remove any skin animations.
Its basically down to SSL and the Certs required and also if a Website is using SNI, your OS has to have these Certs to allow the connection. You can disable Certificate checking by adding Python code telling it to do so, but its a pain and doesn't always work,it also makes your box less secure.

Jarvis was written on Python 2.7.3 I believe, and the ability to connect to sites using SNI was only added to Python 2.7.9 and above.

You simply need to update your Kodi to Krypton as stated above,this uses a Python version higher than 2.7.9 and therefore handles any sites using SNI

Now to my question.

Has anyone yet found a version of inputstream.adaptive compiled for Mips ?

Or at the very least a Mips Binary of libssd_wv.so ?
Hello,

I have the www iplayer addon installed on Raspberry Pi 3 OSMC but I am only getting video in SD, how do I make it play in HD?

Thanks
(2017-05-01, 20:15)caned_monkey Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,

I have the www iplayer addon installed on Raspberry Pi 3 OSMC but I am only getting video in SD, how do I make it play in HD?

Thanks

Which version are you on, 3.0.5 or 2.5.13?

If you are on 3.0.5, which stream protocol did you select DASH or HLS?

Ir you are on DASH, please check the settings of the binary add-on inputstream.adaptive on your device. I suspect the max bitrate settings there are too low for HD. HD needs 5.5 Mbps. If you are on DASH, check a couple of posts back, where primaeval explained how to set the max bitrate.
Thanks, I set the max resolution in inputstream.adaptive to 1080 and that sorted it.
I'll have a read back and educate myself as well.

Thanks again.
(2017-04-30, 00:19)lee3lions Wrote: [ -> ]After reading some more of the posts, I checked the Live TV and it woorks fine, just not the catch-up. Is this a settings problem?

Same problem here. Same error.
(2017-05-02, 12:15)mongrol Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-04-30, 00:19)lee3lions Wrote: [ -> ]After reading some more of the posts, I checked the Live TV and it woorks fine, just not the catch-up. Is this a settings problem?

Did you follow this one?
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2579075
(2017-05-01, 22:48)caned_monkey Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, I set the max resolution in inputstream.adaptive to 1080 and that sorted it.
I'll have a read back and educate myself as well.

Thanks again.

Are you actually picking up any 1080 streams?
I thought the BBC stopped broadcasting them on iplayer.
I haven''t seen any in the manifests recently.
(2017-05-02, 12:18)primaeval Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-05-02, 12:15)mongrol Wrote: [ -> ]

Did you follow this one?

Thanks. Simply downgrading to 2.5.13 from 3.0.5 worked. I'm on Krypton and just went with the default version. Why the different major versions? Why does the new one not work?
(2017-05-03, 10:59)mongrol Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-05-02, 12:18)primaeval Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-05-02, 12:15)mongrol Wrote: [ -> ]Same problem here. Same error.

Did you follow this one?

Thanks. Simply downgrading to 2.5.13 from 3.0.5 worked. I'm on Krypton and just went with the default version. Why the different major versions? Why does the new one not work?

Version 3 has the MPEG-DASH streams that can only be played in Krypton if your version of has a working version of Inputstream Adaptive and it is enabled.
Not all platforms and devices seem to have a working version of Inputstream Adapative.

Version 2 will only play the HLS streams. Even then there are problems with some versions of Jarvis on Android that cannot handle later versions of the tls protocol that is used by some https streams. Then you need to turn off https in the Settings.
Version 2 is only targetted at Jarvis and possibly previous versions of Kodi.

[EDIT] You are probably not missing out by using version 2. As far as I can tell they both can provide 720p 50fps H264 streams at 5.5Mbps.
(2017-05-03, 09:53)primaeval Wrote: [ -> ]Are you actually picking up any 1080 streams?
I thought the BBC stopped broadcasting them on iplayer.
I haven''t seen any in the manifests recently.

I can still see them if I look at the right manifests, but they won't play. I think they disabled them on the server side for the time being.
HLS v DASH

The results are in. I've captured "An Art Lovers' Guide, Series 1 1. Amsterdam" in both hls and dash at 720 50fps using wget to get the raw files.
I joined the dash video files together with cat.
I opened the files in VirtualDub via AviSynth and exported the frames as bmp.
I then did a compare with ImageMagick.
Here is the difference on the first frame.

Absolutely no difference.

@CaptainT Thanks for the info. I thought the 1080 were gone for now.
(2017-04-28, 01:54)oattes Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-04-28, 01:36)sydbat Wrote: [ -> ]The main issue is when the stream buffers. I have corrected the buffering for the most part, but will still get one or two during an hour long show. When the stream buffers and then starts again, within a few seconds to a minute or so, the video will begin to stutter, the audio will too, and sometimes the audio will continue while the video freezes. I have also noticed it happening without the buffer ring of death in the last week or so. It becomes completely unwatchable.

I have seen this behaviour from time to time and each time it has happened to me, I have been able to determine that the problem is not the plugin nor Kodi buffer settings (BTW I have *always* found that changing the Kodi buffering defaults results in poorer performance). Rather, by inspecting the inbound streams using a 'network sniffer', I have seen the the problem is the content provider (the provider is simply not delivering a reliable stream and you can see this by looking at the network flows). Note that the Beeb does not actually provide the content -- it is provided by Akamai or Limelight (last time I checked). Both of these services are geo-dependent and the server providing content is selected based on your location. In my experience, I had better luck with Limelight than Akamai, so you might try a switch from one to the other and see if you get any improvement.

OK. So I have tried the different providers and have found none are really that good. Occasionally, as in 1 every 15 or so tries, I get through an entire show with absolutely no issues. Every other time I get buffering like crazy, video and audio glitches and find I have to watch on the BBC website. When on the BBC website, the video/audio quality will fluctuate from 720 down to what seems to be 240. Not for long, but about 4 times per hour long show. This seems to be the same rate in the Kodi app. At least the show does not stop and buffer on the website iPlayer, like it does in the Kodi app.

It does not matter time of day, or day of week (although weekends are worse).

I know this originates with the BBC. I have absolutely no problem with any other video stream. I guess I will just have to use the BBC website when I want to watch shows there. Or use get_iplayer and temporarily download episodes to watch (btw, this command-line app has a steady rate for every download, but I do not think you can watch until the show is fully downloaded. Big disadvantage)