Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: "iPlayer WWW" add-on
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have 3.0.14 and it works okay, I think my VPN was probably set to the wrong country.

Sorry I should have checked this closer.

Your addon appears to be empty though.
(2017-08-10, 16:59)DeaconBlue Wrote: [ -> ]system reports following when trying to selected programmes : "iPlayer WWW error: Check the log for more information", and sometimes "One or more items failed to play. Check the log...."

The log-file reports repeatedly "skipping unplayable item". See copy of log below:

Same thing here. Version 3.0.13 on OpenElec, RPi. It was working a few days ago and I'm not aware of any updates happening. I tried vesions 3.0.12 and 3.0.5 (they were in cache) but got the 'maximum retries/users' (or somesuch) error.

I'm going to try to resolve it myself by finding a later/different version in another repo somewhere

Resolved: refreshed the Kodi-Addons repo and that picked up version 3.0.14. I updated to that and all was working again Smile I love this add-on!
I am finding that I am being kicked off the live streams after a few minutes, maybe 3-4 minutes. All different versions of Kodi on different systems, all the latest version of iPlayer WWW. The iPlayer app works fine.
Anyone else experiencing this?
(2017-08-13, 11:44)youngros Wrote: [ -> ]I am finding that I am being kicked off the live streams after a few minutes, maybe 3-4 minutes. All different versions of Kodi on different systems, all the latest version of iPlayer WWW. The iPlayer app works fine.

I just tried it on BBC One 5.5Mbps and it has lasted 7 minutes so far.

I expect it is due to your location. The BBC are only licensed to play content in the UK and actively crack down on VPNs and SmartDNS services, especially the more well known ones. Using the default high bandwidth streams don't help either if your connection is far away.
(2017-08-13, 11:54)primaeval Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-08-13, 11:44)youngros Wrote: [ -> ]I am finding that I am being kicked off the live streams after a few minutes, maybe 3-4 minutes. All different versions of Kodi on different systems, all the latest version of iPlayer WWW. The iPlayer app works fine.

I just tried it on BBC One 5.5Mbps and it has lasted 7 minutes so far.

I expect it is due to your location. The BBC are only licensed to play content in the UK and actively crack down on VPNs and SmartDNS services, especially the more well known ones. Using the default high bandwidth streams don't help either if your connection is far away.

Working perfectly on BBC 1 for 15 minutes in the UK
I know about location, VPN etc and the official iPlayer app for Android as well as those on Windows work perfectly. Just not via Kodi.
Bitrate turned down and there was no buffering, just throwing back to the menu. Normally the iPlayer WWW would give an error or say not available etc if there was an issue with location.
Most people using Kodi app would be outside of the UK, as why would you use it in the UK when the TV would be the better option?
Not everyone has it on the TV.

Indeed there is a strong case for buying a dumb TV that doesn't have anything needing manufacturer support and simply connect a Kodi device up to it. Is what I do at home and that works fine. Makes it entirely future proof in that respect, and no complaining when the BBC changes things and the set maker wants to sell you a new TV so doesn't update the apps on their older ones.
I wasn't thinking of apps through Smart TV, but just using freview, freesat or however else you get TV rather than through the internet.
(2017-08-13, 18:12)youngros Wrote: [ -> ]Most people using Kodi app would be outside of the UK, as why would you use it in the UK when the TV would be the better option?
On that basis what would be the purpose of the entire iPlayer website? People will want to watch via all manner of devices, PC/Tablet/Mobile Phone as well as TV and whatever other device you can watch it on. Plus without a Smart TV you need an external device to watch anything iPlayer related, and not everyone has a Smart TV.
Because the iPlayer website automatically adjusts the bitrate to suit your speed but the Kodi app doesn't. Until a few days ago they all worked well on different devices.
(2017-08-13, 18:30)youngros Wrote: [ -> ]I wasn't thinking of apps through Smart TV, but just using freview, freesat or however else you get TV rather than through the internet.

With basic Freeview (rather than the new plus version) you don't get catch-up, nor the web only stuff like BBC3.

Also don't forget the iPlayer addon here is not official, so doesn't have access to all of the internal resources and APIs etc that the website and official apps may have.
(2017-08-13, 18:44)youngros Wrote: [ -> ]Because the iPlayer website automatically adjusts the bitrate to suit your speed but the Kodi app doesn't. Until a few days ago they all worked well on different devices.

If you use the InputStream Adaptive addon in Krypton it will adjust the bitrate for you.
Make sure you have enabled it and it might fix your problem because I think the addon will then use the same streams as the browser version.
Live streams doesn't work anymore for people outside UK with this plugin (3-4 mins with freezing and video/audio out of sync and then stops).
I have a good VPN, iPlayer android app and smartTV app are working normally.
The advantage of this plugin was that you could choose highest bitrate (5.5 Mbps), smartTV app, android app and PC sets automatically usually to 1.8 Mbps.
It's the same problem with Krypton and Helix versions
(2017-08-14, 06:25)drapero Wrote: [ -> ]Live streams doesn't work anymore for people outside UK with this plugin (3-4 mins with freezing and video/audio out of sync and then stops).
The advantage of this plugin was that you could choose highest bitrate (5.5 Mbps), smartTV app, android app and PC sets automatically usually to 1.8 Mbps.

This plugin isn't for people outside the UK. Read the disclaimer and the front page of this thread.
(2017-08-14, 12:09)primaeval Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-08-14, 06:25)drapero Wrote: [ -> ]Live streams doesn't work anymore for people outside UK with this plugin (3-4 mins with freezing and video/audio out of sync and then stops).

This plugin isn't for people outside the UK. Read the disclaimer and the front page of this thread.

Ok, I'll delete this plugin, I don't want to break any laws. I will cancel my VPN account, delete android app, the problem is with TV app, I can't delete it, I will try to replace TV.