Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Stand alone media center?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know this is a tall order by I have a family member who is suffering from Alzheimer.  I have a folder on an external drive that has a bunch of movies that he can watch. The folder contains TMM folders of movies, .nfo files, thumbnmails and such.  I'd like for him to be able to run an application, say, at the root of these folders that can display all the movies there for him to select (thumbnails) without having to install anything.  Does such a beast exist?  For windows.

Thanks!
What about using one of the export templates? (or adopting one to your needs)
(2020-04-10, 18:32)mlaggner Wrote: [ -> ]What about using one of the export templates? (or adopting one to your needs)

I don't know what you mean?  Is this out of TMM?  And what player do I use?
well if your family member has Alzheimer you should make it as easy as possible; managing the data with tmm and installing Kodi on his computer should be the easiest solution for user interaction...

having an adopted export template in tmm could also achieve that, but you need to meet some prerequisites (either should the exported list be on the same drive as the movies are to have the link to the movies intact OR the external drive has to be mounted at the same drive letter on his computer). With an adopted export template you _should_ be able to launch the movie files from the browser (where the list is being displayed) with the systems default media player. I am no web developer so I cannot guarantee that launching the files from the browser works. And at the moment I am not sure if some of the existing templates already offers links to the movie files...

last but not least maybe some sort of portable media players (VLC, ...) could display those images the right way?

sorry I cannot help you further here
(2020-04-11, 14:43)mlaggner Wrote: [ -> ]well if your family member has Alzheimer you should make it as easy as possible; managing the data with tmm and installing Kodi on his computer should be the easiest solution for user interaction...

having an adopted export template in tmm could also achieve that, but you need to meet some prerequisites (either should the exported list be on the same drive as the movies are to have the link to the movies intact OR the external drive has to be mounted at the same drive letter on his computer). With an adopted export template you _should_ be able to launch the movie files from the browser (where the list is being displayed) with the systems default media player. I am no web developer so I cannot guarantee that launching the files from the browser works. And at the moment I am not sure if some of the existing templates already offers links to the movie files...

last but not least maybe some sort of portable media players (VLC, ...) could display those images the right way?

sorry I cannot help you further here
He takes the drive with him to play on other's computers so installation and configuration doesn't work here.

Thanks though
not that I've tried it but would a portable version of Kodi and autorun the drive work?
(2020-04-12, 16:19)john.hind Wrote: [ -> ]not that I've tried it but would a portable version of Kodi and autorun the drive work?  Ya, that would do it.  I didn't think a portable Kodi was an option.
Quote:With an adopted export template you _should_ be able to launch the movie files from the browser (where the list is being displayed) with the systems default media player. 
Quote:He takes the drive with him to play on other's computers so installation and configuration doesn't work here.
I suggest using VLC Portable https://portableapps.com/apps/music_video/vlc_portable so the app can be used without installation.

About a static export of all videos working out of the box, I have no idea.
just echoing on what @__B__ said - i would also look into portable players like "KM Player" and "Pot Player" the latter looks like it might have the library view with thumbnails you require from what i see on google images.
Jriver can also be installed in a portable fashion but it's a fairly complex application.