Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Atmos only on some movies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I'm hoping I'm posting this in the proper section of the forum (Kodi newbie here Smile ).

I have a few movies (mkv, BD) with an Atmos track and on some of them I do not get Atmos working on my system.
Examples:
  1. Movie A mkv format: Atmos working. OK.
  2. Movie A BD format: no Atmos, I get LPCM 2.0 48KHz.
  3. Movie B mkv format: Atmos working. OK.
  4. Movie C mkv format: no Atmos, I get LPCM 2.0 48KHz.
My setup:
  • Kodi 18.6 Leia (Audio passthrough enabled) running on a Beelink GT-King (Android box), playing all from a NAS.
  • Box is connected directly in HDMI to a soundbar Sony HT-ZF9 (supports Atmos).
  • Soundbar is connected to a TV Sony 55XE9005 (via HDIM ARC).
Any idea what I could try ?

MaX
How is Atmos added to those movies? Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus?
(2020-04-13, 11:42)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]How is Atmos added to those movies? Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus?

A movie I have in 3 versions, I checked the 3 with MediaInfo:
  1. mkv: E-AC3 JOC (commercial name Dolby Digital Plus with Dolby Atmos) --> soundbar detects it as Dolby Atmos, OK.
  2. Blu Ray rip: I'm not sure how to read MediaInfo output. But tsMuxer for example reports the track as TureHD (AC3 core + trueHD) --> no Atmos detected by soundbar (it sees LPCM 2.0) 48KHz).
  3. Remux from the above BluRay (done by me: tsMuxer + MKVToolNix to merge back): 1st track is MLP FBA 16-ch (commercial name Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos, Codec ID: A_TRUEHD) --> no Atmos detected by soundbar (it sees LPCM 2.0)
Other movies (all .mkv):
  1. 2 movies with 1st track is MLP FBA 16-ch (commercial name Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos, Codec ID: A_TRUEHD) --> no Atmos detected by soundbar (it sees LPCM 2.0).

MaX.
So it looks like something in your setup can't do TrueHD - either the TV can't do passthrough or the soundbar can't play it.
(2020-04-13, 13:55)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]So it looks like something in your setup can't do TrueHD - either the TV can't do passthrough or the soundbar can't play it.

Hmm the soundbar is supposed to handle TrueHD according to it's specs. I'll dig into this.

Concerning the TV passtrough: that shouldn't be needed no ? My player (android box) is connected to the soundbar directly (then the soundbar is connected to the tv).
The passthrough is done by my android box (source file --> soundbar).
Sounds like it's the box -
Quote:I purchased the beelink gt-king pro about a week and a half ago expecting to be able to get HD audio from my 7.1.2 Yamaha 4k reciever. Then I discovered that the HD passthrough option does not work in Kodi or the bulit in movie player. Beelinks work around is to install Coreelec on a sd card or flash drive and use that operating system which will give you HD audio passthrough. I have tested all the HD audio formats and can comfirm that DTS-HDMA 7.1, DOLBY TRUEHD 7.1, FLAC, AAC 5-7.1, DTS-X, DOLBY ATMOS with TRUEHD and DOLBY DIGITAL PLUS) is working with Coreelec ( which is a Kodi fork). The only HD audio format that works in Kodi is DOLY DIGITAL PLUS with ATMOS. Which the problem is that most ATMOS files use TRUEHD and very few use DOLBY DIGITAL PLUS. If it were not for the Coreelec option I would have returned the gt-king pro. That was the biggest negative to me and the fact that the voice control on the remote is not working ( the last update affected the voice search). Now the positives of the gt-king pro is 3- 3.0 usb ports, it boots up fast and the apps run smooth Youtube, Netflix etc. So hopefully Beelink will issue a firmware to fix the HD audio passthrough in Kodi AND the voice function on the remote as whats the point of having voice capabilities that don't work. In conclusion thats why I gave it 3 stars because it is a good android box but Beelink should have been upfront because most people use Kodi and are purchasing these boxes to use with their home theater systems like me. HINT Beelink fix these issues and you will have a 5 star box especially for $200 we should have ALL the features working.
Amazon customer questions and enter Truehd in the search bar.
(2020-04-13, 15:37)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like it's the box -
Quote:I purchased the beelink gt-king pro about a week and a half ago expecting to be able to get HD audio from my 7.1.2 Yamaha 4k reciever. Then I discovered that the HD passthrough option does not work in Kodi or the bulit in movie player. Beelinks work around is to install Coreelec on a sd card or flash drive and use that operating system which will give you HD audio passthrough. I have tested all the HD audio formats and can comfirm that DTS-HDMA 7.1, DOLBY TRUEHD 7.1, FLAC, AAC 5-7.1, DTS-X, DOLBY ATMOS with TRUEHD and DOLBY DIGITAL PLUS) is working with Coreelec ( which is a Kodi fork). The only HD audio format that works in Kodi is DOLY DIGITAL PLUS with ATMOS. Which the problem is that most ATMOS files use TRUEHD and very few use DOLBY DIGITAL PLUS. If it were not for the Coreelec option I would have returned the gt-king pro. That was the biggest negative to me and the fact that the voice control on the remote is not working ( the last update affected the voice search). Now the positives of the gt-king pro is 3- 3.0 usb ports, it boots up fast and the apps run smooth Youtube, Netflix etc. So hopefully Beelink will issue a firmware to fix the HD audio passthrough in Kodi AND the voice function on the remote as whats the point of having voice capabilities that don't work. In conclusion thats why I gave it 3 stars because it is a good android box but Beelink should have been upfront because most people use Kodi and are purchasing these boxes to use with their home theater systems like me. HINT Beelink fix these issues and you will have a 5 star box especially for $200 we should have ALL the features working.

Thanks a lot. Guess I'm going for Coreelec then !
(2020-04-13, 16:00)HornetMaX Wrote: [ -> ]

Installed CoreElec, Atmos TrueHD working. Thanks !
(2020-04-19, 16:28)HornetMaX Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-04-13, 16:00)HornetMaX Wrote: [ -> ]

Installed CoreElec, Atmos TrueHD working. Thanks ! 
hello good day! 

i have the same problem, i have tried playing from my htpc (windows 10) with dolby atmos windows output. when I play demo videos it outputs atmos on my Onkyo TX-NR3030 but when I tried to play it using kodi leia on aeon nox silvo skin it doesnt show atmos on my AVR Sad

I have set WASAPI on output in the settings as well as wasapi on passthrough.