Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Release] The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross

Artist Bob Ross takes you to his magical world of happy trees and teaches the laymen step by step how to create wonderful works of art using his trademark wet-on-wet technique.
All 31 Seasons as available on Youtube

Download Link: *URL temporarily removed by moderator*

Github link: https://github.com/Starslayer74/joyofpainting
(2020-04-18, 20:20)starslayer74 Wrote: [ -> ]Download Link

There is already a Bob Ross Youtube add-on in the official Kodi Repository.

Why do we need another Bob Ross add-on, and why are you using a dodgy download link?
Making/copying some skewed logo and planting it here on our forum, and that's it..?

That's certainly not our modus operandi.
(2020-04-18, 21:43)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]

Why do we need another Bob Ross add-on, and why are you using a dodgy download link?
Making/copying some skewed logo and planting it here on our forum, and that's it..?

I did not realize there was another one. After reading this, I did find it and install it, it doesn't seem to be working for me. 

I have released other addons and posted them on mediafire, and no one has mentioned any issue - that said, I would be happy to host them somewhere else.... in fact, they are all available on my github page so I guess I could link to that if that makes people more comfortable. 

I'm not sure what else you're getting at by your comment. My addon is on the up and up, it uses the same basic framework as my other addons...and I've posted them the same way with a logo and the link to the addon on mediafire. 

So, in closing, if this post is against the rules, then I"m sure someone in charge will remove it - I created the addon for myself, just like the others I've made, and I post it here so anyone can use it/modify it as they see fit.
(2020-04-18, 21:43)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]

I'll add, that you could have messaged me privately with this instead of trying to publicly shame me for this.  Thanks for being a great human being.
(2020-04-19, 03:52)starslayer74 Wrote: [ -> ]it doesn't seem to be working for me. 
So, what exactly isn't working for you?

(2020-04-19, 03:52)starslayer74 Wrote: [ -> ]I have released other addons and posted them on mediafire, and no one has mentioned any issue - that said, I would be happy to host them somewhere else.
Kodi is (obviously) a proponent of "open source" software. Github is a good place to demonstrate your source code, but offering (initially) a ZIP file which could contain basically anything (upto naughty and viral stuff) is not a very "open" approach. I'm sure you can see that distinction. It's not against the rules per se, but there is a certain etiquette in open source, and, it's OUR forum.

We prefer to double-check the contents of add-ons that are offered via our forum. It's also why we have the official Kodi add-ons section in our Wiki page. If we were to allow everyone to post their add-ons zipped on our forum, I'm sure eventually, for example, plenty of piracy crap would come along. So that's is not gonna happen as Kodi's reputation already has gotten a bad vibe of piracy to it.

(2020-04-19, 03:56)starslayer74 Wrote: [ -> ]I'll add, that you could have messaged me privately with this instead of trying to publicly shame me for this.  Thanks for being a great human being.
Aww.. Your toes must be longer than mine if you're already getting emotional over a couple of simple questions. If your post was against the rules, it would have already been dumped in the proverbial bin. It's a forum here, it suggests open communication. Not zipped or behind closed doors.
(2020-04-19, 06:36)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-04-19, 03:52)starslayer74 Wrote: [ -> ]it doesn't seem to be working for me. 
So, what exactly isn't working for you?
(2020-04-19, 03:52)starslayer74 Wrote: [ -> ]I have released other addons and posted them on mediafire, and no one has mentioned any issue - that said, I would be happy to host them somewhere else.
Kodi is (obviously) a proponent of "open source" software. Github is a good place to demonstrate your source code, but offering (initially) a ZIP file which could contain basically anything (upto naughty and viral stuff) is not a very "open" approach. I'm sure you can see that distinction. It's not against the rules per se, but there is a certain etiquette in open source, and, it's OUR forum.

We prefer to double-check the contents of add-ons that are offered via our forum. It's also why we have the official Kodi add-ons section in our Wiki page. If we were to allow everyone to post their add-ons zipped on our forum, I'm sure eventually, for example, plenty of piracy crap would come along. So that's is not gonna happen as Kodi's reputation already has gotten a bad vibe of piracy to it.
(2020-04-19, 03:56)starslayer74 Wrote: [ -> ]I'll add, that you could have messaged me privately with this instead of trying to publicly shame me for this.  Thanks for being a great human being.
Aww.. Your toes must be longer than mine if you're already getting emotional over a couple of simple questions. If your post was against the rules, it would have already been dumped in the proverbial bin. It's a forum here, it suggests open communication. Not zipped or behind closed doors.  
I agree about the reputation issue and I would never do anything to try and hurt it myself. One of my other addons is bult the same way, it's a wrestling content addon, pulling content from youtube channels - and it's been written up on pirate sites as "A way to watch live streams of Wrestlemania" etc - which it is NOT. I have actively contacted every one of those sites where I have found it, and asked them to either pull the post or edit the description so it accurately states exactly WHAT my addon does. So believe me, I understand that. 

HOWEVER, AS I SAID - I have posted other addons, NOT ONE thing has been said about them. I have seen others post addons, that were not in the official repository and NOT ONE thing has been said. You decided, for some reason, to make an example out of my one post.... for reasons unknown. I don't know or care what your issue is. And make no mistake, the issue is YOURS. I am simply defending myself, because I did nothing wrong and have nothing to hide. Simply put, if you want to encourage people to develop for the platform, instead of being rude, like you obviously are, you should be more helpful and willing to coach them on what needs to be corrected. 

I read the rules before posting and didn't violate any of them. If I didn't follow etiquette, I apologize for that, but I didn't see ANY rules about posting etiquette when it comes to third party addons. Instead of being snarky, why don't you create a posting etiquette guide? And I'm not sure why my mediafire link was considered dodgy, when there is LITERALLY a mediafire addon for Kodi....

As far as what was wrong with the other Bob Ross addon, I have no idea. I installed it, opened it, and it didn't load. I didn't dig any further, because I already had created my own that was working, that I made before I became aware of it's existence. I had no need to try and troubleshoot it.
@Klojum So, what exactly isn't working for you? youtube is fubard with out your own api keys that will not work for every one
(2020-04-19, 17:18)the_other_guy Wrote: [ -> ]@Klojum So, what exactly isn't working for you? youtube is fubard with out your own api keys that will not work for every one
To be fair, my addon will not work if you are having youtube issues related to the API keys. I personally experienced a lot of difficulty with the youtube addon, the solution ended up being to completely create fresh API keys, completely remove youtube, clear my cache (I'm running on a Shield) and then reinstall and add my fresh API keys. It took a lot of tinkering to get that part working.
(2020-04-19, 16:40)starslayer74 Wrote: [ -> ]You decided, for some reason, to make an example out of my one post.... for reasons unknown. I don't know or care what your issue is. And make no mistake, the issue is YOURS. I am simply defending myself, because I did nothing wrong and have nothing to hide. Simply put, if you want to encourage people to develop for the platform, instead of being rude, like you obviously are, you should be more helpful and willing to coach them on what needs to be corrected. 

I read the rules before posting and didn't violate any of them. If I didn't follow etiquette, I apologize for that, but I didn't see ANY rules about posting etiquette when it comes to third party addons. Instead of being snarky, why don't you create a posting etiquette guide?
Holy flashback Batman!