Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: OH Dear- Have used Kodi for a decade, but now cannot see my ripped albums??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
HI,

I thought I would take the current lockdown to re -rip all my cd's to   .wav.
Loaded the wav codec addon, went to ripping settings in Kodi, kept the tagging all as default.
Ripped all 400 cd's ( omg), and then today went to  scan them in the library.

I have a clean 'Music' folder where all the rips went, so pointed Kodi to that and off it went scanning all the stuff.
I was a bit suspicious when it did this VERY quickly.
After it finished, I went back to the 'Music' section in Kodi, and - nothing
It still says there are no items in my library?

I can get to the music by clicking on 'music' and then accessing via ''files', but despite redo-ing the whole scanning at least three times ( including remove sources),
I cannot get the album art and stuff to appear as usual in Kodi.
As mentioned, I ripped using Kodi and kept all the tagging as default.

I feel such a NOOB :-(

Can anyone point out what am I doing wrong??

Many THanks
pootler
WAV was a very bad choice of file type as it's much more limited in tag support than a codec such as FLAC. Get us a debug log_file (wiki) taken while you are trying to scan the music into the library so we can see what Kodi reports. In addition use a program such as mp3tag (despite name I believe it supports WAV files) to see what state the tags are, if you could give us a screenshot showing a track selected in mp3tag that may also help us understand issue.
Also what files type were you using before? and why the decision to re-rip? do you still have those files available?
What can I say - .wav what a poor choice format to rip files into, why do that?
A mere 400 CD.... Smile Ah well my advice is to rip (losslessly) to FLAC (using EAC) and tag using Picard, it won't take as long as you fear.
My requests above were see if if we could get at least something working quickly, but if you've stil got the previous files available then that going to be the quickest way to get a working Music library again. If this exercise was about getting lossless files, then I second Dave that you're going to need to re-rip to FLAC.
(2020-04-24, 19:52)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]My requests above were see if if we could get at least something working quickly, but if you've stil got the previous files available then that going to be the quickest way to get a working Music library again. If this exercise was about getting lossless files, then I second Dave that you're going to need to re-rip to FLAC.

OH FxxK!.

I was going to rip to Flac as usual, but- amazingly- I closely listened to a FLAC ( uncompressed) rip  and  .WAV rip, and I actually preferred the .wav rip..

Lets not get into audiophile comments and how  it should be bit identical, but anyway , as the file size was the same I thought I would go with a different format.

I didn't realise it was poorly supported for tag format :-(

400 cd's may not be a lot for you guys, but its painful for me!  ( I don't have the original flacs )

Thanks anyway.

Pootler
(2020-04-24, 20:23)pootler Wrote: [ -> ]I was going to rip to Flac as usual, but- amazingly- I closely listened to a FLAC ( uncompressed) rip  and  .WAV rip, and I actually preferred the .wav rip..

You should have used gold cables, they just make the bits sound so much better, too. Also, files on SSD sound better than on regular HD because they have no moving parts - you know how moving parts generate digital background noise below -100db.
I would probably grab a copy of ffmpeg and run a batch convert to flac or alac.  AFAIK you could convert to either of these and then convert back to wav and get identical bits.  If you're ripping from CD you're only getting 44.1K / 8 bits anyway, so probably not worth obsessing over at least IMHO.  But you do need a file format with well-defined tags (properly filled) to get a good Kodi music experience.

scott s.
(2020-04-24, 23:17)HeresJohnny Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-04-24, 20:23)pootler Wrote: [ -> ]I was going to rip to Flac as usual, but- amazingly- I closely listened to a FLAC ( uncompressed) rip  and  .WAV rip, and I actually preferred the .wav rip..

You should have used gold cables, they just make the bits sound so much better, too. Also, files on SSD sound better than on regular HD because they have no moving parts - you know how moving parts generate digital background noise below -100db. 
Oh dear- how do you spell the word  ''YAWN''  :-)

Anyway I've got to get back - I need to switch my two 500W monoblocks at exactly the same time while the sun is setting - and of course re adjust my 250 earth spikes in the garden.

May your ears be forever clear

Take care.
(2020-04-25, 01:32)scott967 Wrote: [ -> ]I would probably grab a copy of ffmpeg and run a batch convert to flac or alac.  AFAIK you could convert to either of these and then convert back to wav and get identical bits.  If you're ripping from CD you're only getting 44.1K / 8 bits anyway, so probably not worth obsessing over at least IMHO.  But you do need a file format with well-defined tags (properly filled) to get a good Kodi music experience.

scott s.

Cheers scott - I have the 400 cd's all lined up on my desk - again ;-)

Good ZEN lesson though.
Probably don't need to say this, but next time you decide to do anything like this, do a test first using a single album.
(2020-04-25, 20:00)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]Probably don't need to say this, but next time you decide to do anything like this, do a test first using a single album.

No- you don't. - shame on you :-)
(2020-04-25, 19:13)pootler Wrote: [ -> ]Anyway I've got to get back - I need to switch my two 500W monoblocks at exactly the same time while the sun is setting - and of course re adjust my 250 earth spikes in the garden.

Don't forget the earth's magnetic field and check sunspot activity. Also, everything just sounds more magical at solstice!
(2020-04-25, 19:15)pootler Wrote: [ -> ]Cheers scott - I have the 400 cd's all lined up on my desk - again ;-)
When re-tagging using Picard, ensure you have settings 4.2 & 4.3 set in MusicBrainz Picard... https://kodi.wiki/view/Music_tagging
(2020-04-25, 22:21)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-04-25, 19:15)pootler Wrote: [ -> ]Cheers scott - I have the 400 cd's all lined up on my desk - again ;-)
When re-tagging using Picard, ensure you have settings 4.2 & 4.3 set in MusicBrainz Picard... https://kodi.wiki/view/Music_tagging 
oh god, I wished I'd never started this

----dare I say it-----

Why would I need to ''re-tag''?

I've only done the first 30 discs - so please tell me now! :-)
Pages: 1 2