Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Audio Profiles (for Kodi 18 and later)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
(2021-02-20, 20:40)pkscout Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-20, 20:36)Isambard Prince Wrote: [ -> ]My main audio device is the HDMI TV. I also have a stereo amplifier that I prefer to connect to via USB (since the analogue audio out on my Windows 10 NUC is not that great), as well as BT headphones. Now, the problem is this: when I turn off my amp or my headphones while they are selected, Audio Profiles will switch the output to another (present) device, but I see no logic behind it (the last device, probably). If I turn on that device before changing the profile, though, it will reconnect. Also, JFYI, I can switch to a profile of the device which is currently not present, and if I turn it on, the Audio Profiles will switch to it.

I'm pretty sure that change in Audio devices is not Audio Profiles but core Kodi. Audio Profiles doesn't actually know anything about the devices you have connected, it only looks at the audio stream information to decide which profile to load. So when Kodi detects a device has gone missing, Kodi changes to another device that is still there with Audio Profiles none the wiser.

Thanks for a quick reply. Do you have suggestions where I can look into these issues?
(2021-02-20, 20:51)Isambard Prince Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-20, 20:40)pkscout Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-20, 20:36)Isambard Prince Wrote: [ -> ]My main audio device is the HDMI TV. I also have a stereo amplifier that I prefer to connect to via USB (since the analogue audio out on my Windows 10 NUC is not that great), as well as BT headphones. Now, the problem is this: when I turn off my amp or my headphones while they are selected, Audio Profiles will switch the output to another (present) device, but I see no logic behind it (the last device, probably). If I turn on that device before changing the profile, though, it will reconnect. Also, JFYI, I can switch to a profile of the device which is currently not present, and if I turn it on, the Audio Profiles will switch to it.

I'm pretty sure that change in Audio devices is not Audio Profiles but core Kodi. Audio Profiles doesn't actually know anything about the devices you have connected, it only looks at the audio stream information to decide which profile to load. So when Kodi detects a device has gone missing, Kodi changes to another device that is still there with Audio Profiles none the wiser.

Thanks for a quick reply. Do you have suggestions where I can look into these issues?
The only thing I can think to look at is Settings > System > Audio. There is a device defined as "default" in my list, but I don't know of a way offhand to change which device is considered the default.
(2021-02-20, 20:54)pkscout Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-20, 20:51)Isambard Prince Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-20, 20:40)pkscout Wrote: [ -> ]I'm pretty sure that change in Audio devices is not Audio Profiles but core Kodi. Audio Profiles doesn't actually know anything about the devices you have connected, it only looks at the audio stream information to decide which profile to load. So when Kodi detects a device has gone missing, Kodi changes to another device that is still there with Audio Profiles none the wiser.

The only thing I can think to look at is Settings > System > Audio. There is a device defined as "default" in my list, but I don't know of a way offhand to change which device is considered the default.

That's the Windows default device.

In any case, I might have a workaround (the famous last words). I set the HDMI as the default output for XBMC in Windows Advanced Sound Settings. This gets overriden by the AP, but when there is no device under the AP profile, XBMC output falls back to the default above.
Hi. Language file updated for build 2.0.100

http://www.mediafire.com/file/wfsfd4j5ew...trings.rar

For es_es es_ar es_mx

Tested on kodi 19 matrix final build.

BTW, there is still needed autoexec to launch audio profiles selection at kodi startup? Id noticed autoexec changed a little on kodi 19, still didnt tried to adapt autoexec.py cause didnt know if was added to audio profiles.
(2021-02-24, 07:36)trihy Wrote: [ -> ]Hi. Language file updated for build 2.0.100

http://www.mediafire.com/file/wfsfd4j5ew...trings.rar

For es_es es_ar es_mx

Tested on kodi 19 matrix final build.

BTW, there is still needed autoexec to launch audio profiles selection at kodi startup? Id noticed autoexec changed a little on kodi 19, still didnt tried to adapt autoexec.py cause didnt know if was added to audio profiles.
The Kodi team has moved translations to Weblate and set it up so addons can be translated (that will be opening up to folks at some point in the future to do translations there). Now that I have AP setup in that, I'm hesitant to accept outside translations, as they caused us some issues during the Weblate setup.

As for autoexec – no, you shouldn't need it any longer.  There is a setting now to enable a certain profile at startup, and an additional option to force to load even if the profile loaded at startup was the last one in use.
Hi. Thanks. No problem, will use the translation for my personal use.

Wonder if audio profiles can be related to kodi audio output device. I use one profile for tv (doesnt support passthrough) And one profile for when the av receiver is on (passthrough on, DD, DTS, etc). Will be great if can automatically change according to kodi audio device in use.

So it will automatically change based on audio output device present.
(2021-02-24, 21:23)trihy Wrote: [ -> ]Hi. Thanks. No problem, will use the translation for my personal use.

Wonder if audio profiles can be related to kodi audio output device. I use one profile for tv (doesnt support passthrough) And one profile for when the av receiver is on (passthrough on, DD, DTS, etc). Will be great if can automatically change according to kodi audio device in use.

So it will automatically change based on audio output device present.
I don't think there's any way to get Kodi to tell me what audio devices are present. That is also kind of circular logic. AP is designed so that you set things like the device as part of the profile, and then have a profile selected based on the audio being played. Trying to set a profile based on something *in* the profile would be weird.
Hello,

Is there a very basic walk-through guide for this add-on? Something gentle that doesn't assume prior knowledge of audio switching. I don't know if I'm being especially dim but I don't know where or how to start.

I'm looking to achieve what I'd hoped would be something relatively simple: music + radio streams automatically outputted via pulseaudio/bluetooth; everything else via alsa/hdmi.

Thanks for any help pointing me in the right direction.

Thomas
(2021-04-11, 13:10)Hidentity Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,

Is there a very basic walk-through guide for this add-on? Something gentle that doesn't assume prior knowledge of audio switching. I don't know if I'm being especially dim but I don't know where or how to start.

I'm looking to achieve what I'd hoped would be something relatively simple: music + radio streams automatically outputted via pulseaudio/bluetooth; everything else via alsa/hdmi.

Thomas

The documentation is at:

https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Audio_Profiles

That said, I can't say for sure how the streams will be treated (it kind of depends on how the add-on passes things to Kodi). In a perfect world, the radio streams will look like music, so the settings you make for music will apply to both.  But it's also possible you'll get some unexpected behavior depending on the add-on.
(2021-04-12, 00:16)pkscout Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-04-11, 13:10)Hidentity Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,

Thomas

The documentation is at:

https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Audio_Profiles

That said, I can't say for sure how the streams will be treated (it kind of depends on how the add-on passes things to Kodi). In a perfect world, the radio streams will look like music, so the settings you make for music will apply to both.  But it's also possible you'll get some unexpected behavior depending on the add-on.

Thanks for the link. I'd already given it a look but didn't find it too enlightening. It doesn't explain what to click and why. Nor does it explain (or provide a link to explain) simple things, e.g. does Digital = Pulseaudio/bluetooth? If not then how do you add a profile for pulseaudio/bluetooth? And what's a profile anyway?

I suspect there are many people who've installed the add-on and given up because the documentation is written for those who don't need it. Perhaps a YouTube video walk-through with a basic how and why might help the dimmer bulbs like me to get over the line.
(2021-04-12, 12:12)Hidentity Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the link. I'd already given it a look but didn't find it too enlightening. It doesn't explain what to click and why. Nor does it explain (or provide a link to explain) simple things, e.g. does Digital = Pulseaudio/bluetooth? If not then how do you add a profile for pulseaudio/bluetooth? And what's a profile anyway?

I suspect there are many people who've installed the add-on and given up because the documentation is written for those who don't need it. Perhaps a YouTube video walk-through with a basic how and why might help the dimmer bulbs like me to get over the line.

Digital is just a name for the profile. It means nothing. You could rename the profile "Funny Clown" if you wanted to.  That is explained in the docs right in section 3.1.

Quote:By default two of the ten available profiles are enabled and named Digital (profile 1) and Analog (profile 2). From the settings (see below for details on the settings) you can rename the profiles and configure the other settings.

Section 3.2 tells you exactly what to do:

Quote:Audio Profiles saves the options from a handful of areas within the Kodi settings. Those are:
  • System/Audio
  • System/Display (always saved, only changed on profile change if enabled in settings)
  • Player/Videos (always saved, only changed on profile change if enabled in settings)
  • Kodi system volume (always saved, only changed on profile change if enabled in settings)
Once you have configured those areas they way you want, go to the Audio Profiles addon and run it. A dialog box will pop up asking you to select a profile in which to save the settings. 

To paraphrase, you set your audio settings however you want them in the Kodi system settings, then you run the addon to save those settings.  Want another profile? Change the Kodi settings, run the addon again, and assign that new set of settings to a profile.
(2021-04-12, 18:13)pkscout Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-04-12, 12:12)Hidentity Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the link. I'd already given it a look but didn't find it too enlightening. It doesn't explain what to click and why. Nor does it explain (or provide a link to explain) simple things, e.g. does Digital = Pulseaudio/bluetooth? If not then how do you add a profile for pulseaudio/bluetooth? And what's a profile anyway?

Digital is just a name for the profile. It means nothing. You could rename the profile "Funny Clown" if you wanted to.  That is explained in the docs right in section 3.1.
Quote:By default two of the ten available profiles are enabled and named Digital (profile 1) and Analog (profile 2). From the settings (see below for details on the settings) you can rename the profiles and configure the other settings.

Section 3.2 tells you exactly what to do:
Quote:Audio Profiles saves the options from a handful of areas within the Kodi settings. Those are:
  • System/Audio
  • System/Display (always saved, only changed on profile change if enabled in settings)
  • Player/Videos (always saved, only changed on profile change if enabled in settings)
  • Kodi system volume (always saved, only changed on profile change if enabled in settings)
Once you have configured those areas they way you want, go to the Audio Profiles addon and run it. A dialog box will pop up asking you to select a profile in which to save the settings. 

To paraphrase, you set your audio settings however you want them in the Kodi system settings, then you run the addon to save those settings.  Want another profile? Change the Kodi settings, run the addon again, and assign that new set of settings to a profile.

Ah, now I get it. Your paraphrase should be added to the documentation. Thanks for clearing things up.

I gave it a whirl this morning and everything worked as I'd hoped. Including the radio stream URLs via pulse/bluetooth.
Is there a way to show a toggle in the OSD when playing something? I saw that in the earlier topic about audio profiles there was a way suggested to include a custom button in to the osd. I thought "Use custom select menu" would do it, but it doesn't.

Im using Leia with your Estuary Leia Mod
(2021-05-06, 13:34)bloob Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a way to show a toggle in the OSD when playing something? I saw that in the earlier topic about audio profiles there was a way suggested to include a custom button in to the osd. I thought "Use custom select menu" would do it, but it doesn't.

Im using Leia with your Estuary Leia Mod

You'd have to add a button to the OSD, and I'm honestly not sure what file that's in. I think it might be two files actually. MusicOSD.xml and VideoOSD.xml. And if you use games and want that button there too there's GamesOSD.xml. So three files. That's an exercise I'll leave to you and others. I'm not going to be adding something like that to the mod.
NVW, today just updated itself... sorry for the incovinience.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17