Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Vero 4K+ Mini-review: The Only Native Kodi 4K + 3D Set-top Player
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
(2020-05-08, 15:55)ontap Wrote: [ -> ]I can concur with the Shield comments above, I sold mine (2017 model), within a month of buying it, have been looking at the vero. I know there will be a world of difference in the hardware, but I have amongst other devices, a MeCool BB2 Pro, 3g ram and I use the vero remote with it, scrolling widgets and lists is jerky and not responsive., I absolutely hate having to stop scrolling and wait for the box to catch up. ( am blaming the box not the remote). I have a much smoother experience with 4K firesticks. The 2g ram on the vero puts me off and also I notice in the vero online store you market a "usb3 hub" yet if I am not mistaken the vero+ has usb2 ports?

2GB RAM is plenty for Linux. A typical user won't use more than 500MB, even when playing 4K content and browsing the GUI. 
The USB ports are USB 2.0 which is more than sufficient for playing a 4K UHD Blu-ray rip. You should avoid NTFS if possible though, because the FUSE implementation will cause significant performance overhead if playing very high bitrate files.
(2020-05-08, 19:02)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-05-08, 15:55)ontap Wrote: [ -> ]I can concur with the Shield comments above, I sold mine (2017 model), within a month of buying it, have been looking at the vero. I know there will be a world of difference in the hardware, but I have amongst other devices, a MeCool BB2 Pro, 3g ram and I use the vero remote with it, scrolling widgets and lists is jerky and not responsive., I absolutely hate having to stop scrolling and wait for the box to catch up. ( am blaming the box not the remote). I have a much smoother experience with 4K firesticks. The 2g ram on the vero puts me off and also I notice in the vero online store you market a "usb3 hub" yet if I am not mistaken the vero+ has usb2 ports?

2GB RAM is plenty for Linux. A typical user won't use more than 500MB, even when playing 4K content and browsing the GUI. 
The USB ports are USB 2.0 which is more than sufficient for playing a 4K UHD Blu-ray rip. You should avoid NTFS if possible though, because the FUSE implementation will cause significant performance overhead if playing very high bitrate files. 
Can you avoid NTFS if hard drives are connected directly to the motherboard and using windows 10?
(2020-05-08, 19:38)Edworld Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-05-08, 19:02)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: [ -> ]

Can you avoid NTFS if hard drives are connected directly to the motherboard and using windows 10? 
If the drive is connected to the Windows 10 machine, then it won't be an issue because the filesystem is devolved to the device which is sharing the drive (your PC)
If you want to swap a device between the Windows machine and the Vero frequently, formatting the drive as exFAT would be a better option and can be done on Windows.
(2020-05-08, 15:34)Skank Wrote: [ -> ]Pitty it lacks netflix, that would ultimate..
Looking for a shield that can
Being worked on by OSMC team Smile.
My Vero 4k+ does 720p Netflix just fine with castagnait's Netflix add-on on Leia. Except if you're talking 1080p+.

Though if I remember correctly it was mentioned in forums that Netflix support was not really a priority for the osmc team.

In my opinion Vero 4k+ is pretty good value for money with great support too.
(2020-05-09, 02:42)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-05-08, 15:34)Skank Wrote: [ -> ]Pitty it lacks netflix, that would ultimate..
Looking for a shield that can
Being worked on by OSMC team Smile

Ohh seriously? That would be a HUGE step.
Also cast functionality? So it works with google ?

Those two added and you have a KILLING machine
Don’t know any more about Netflix; Sam may be able to say.

Re: Google Cast, does any Linux-based player support it? AirPlay is doable with Kodi.
@Sam.Nazarko 

Can you tell more?
(2020-05-09, 20:19)Skank Wrote: [ -> ]@Sam.Nazarko 

Can you tell more?

This is covered in significant detail on the OSMC forums.
We are exploring implementing Widevine L1 DRM with hardware video acceleration; so it's not Netflix specific per se.

Google Cast will not be supported.
(2020-05-09, 23:45)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: [ -> ]

Can you tell more?

We are exploring implementing Widevine L1 DRM with hardware video acceleration; so it's not Netflix specific per se.

Ok very clear.
Thx for the info.
Will jump to the forums :p
(2020-05-09, 23:45)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: [ -> ]We are exploring implementing Widevine L1 DRM with hardware video acceleration; so it's not Netflix specific per se.

Amazing news. I might be forced to get me a second unit!

Can you tell more?

@Sam.nazarko- Have you guys figured out a way to get steam or moonlight gaming on it? If it does either of those two, I’m ditching my shield and ordering one right now!

Let me know, thx.
(2020-05-10, 13:41)jimkaf Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-05-09, 23:45)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: [ -> ]We are exploring implementing Widevine L1 DRM with hardware video acceleration; so it's not Netflix specific per se.

Amazing news. I might be forced to get me a second unit! 
+1

I'm looking for that topic, but cant find it
Would like to follow it
(2020-05-10, 17:10)ozkhan1 Wrote: [ -> ]

Can you tell more?

@Sam.nazarko- Have you guys figured out a way to get steam or moonlight gaming on it? If it does either of those two, I’m ditching my shield and ordering one right now!

Let me know, thx. 
There is an open issue on getting Moonlight to work with Vero 4K/4K+. See https://github.com/irtimmer/moonlight-em...issues/573
I've offered to send them hardware but they don't seem too interested.

The good news is that this testing was based on our 3.14 kernel and it may behave better with our 4.9 kernel and AMCodec improvements.
Unfortunately I don't have an NVIDIA GPU which I could use for testing easily. I'm sure we can get it working, but I don't have an ETA presently.

Sam
(2020-05-10, 20:44)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-05-10, 17:10)ozkhan1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-05-09, 23:45)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: [ -> ]This is covered in significant detail on the OSMC forums.

Let me know, thx.  
There is an open issue on getting Moonlight to work with Vero 4K/4K+. See https://github.com/irtimmer/moonlight-em...issues/573
I've offered to send them hardware but they don't seem too interested.

The good news is that this testing was based on our 3.14 kernel and it may behave better with our 4.9 kernel and AMCodec improvements.
Unfortunately I don't have an NVIDIA GPU which I could use for testing easily. I'm sure we can get it working, but I don't have an ETA presently.

Sam 
Sounds encouraging. How about Steam as a second option in case Moonlight is a no go at the moment? I saw some stuff about steam floating around on OSMC forums but cant seem to locate the thread anymore.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21