Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How do I get KODI recognized on my network as UPNP Server?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dumb newbie questions:
I installed Kodi on OpenSUSE Leap 15.1. 
  • How do I get out of full-screen mode?
  • How do I see the UPNP server on my network? What ports need to be opened in my firewalls?
  • The \ key.
  • Kodi shouldn't really be used as a server.  As you are using Linux you would be better off sharing the media using NFS.
ad upnp: make sure avahi is installed and running and kodi was compiled with support for it
(2020-05-06, 12:42)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]ad upnp: make sure avahi is installed and running and kodi was compiled with support for it
avahi is installed and starts on boot. Kodi is supposed to start with on boot, and the media center starts with xinit.
All was working nicely. But I had to reboot today, and Kodi did not start, although it did when I dit it from the OpenSUSE LERAP 15.1 Yast2 services manager.
But I did not see the media center.
I ran Kodi as myself, and as root. Both say my library (music only) is empty. And none of my settings were remembered from the last time I did this. Mosaic does not see my upnp from Kodi. Previously, I saw two Kodi upnp servers, one from myself, and one from the system. So I manually stopped and started Kodi as follows:
Quote:jarfx:~ # systemctl stop kodi   /*  Nothing happens...*/
^C
jarfx:~ # ps -lae | grep kodi
0 S     0 15044  9611  0  80   0 -  3117 -      pts/0    00:00:00 kodi
4 S     0 15202 15044 60  80   0 - 703208 -     pts/0    02:03:18 kodi-x11
jarfx:~ # kill -9 15044 15202
jarfx:~ # ps -lae | grep kodi
jarfx:~ # systemctl start kodi
jarfx:~ # systemctl status kodi
● kodi.service - Kodi Media Center (Started with xinit)
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/kodi.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: active (running) since Tue 2020-05-26 19:15:59 EDT; 9s ago
 Main PID: 27463 (xinit)
    Tasks: 2
   CGroup: /system.slice/kodi.service
           ├─27463 /usr/bin/xinit /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/kodi-standalone
           └─27464 X :0

May 26 19:15:59 jarfx systemd[1]: Started Kodi Media Center (Started with xinit).
After I do this, I do NOT see and gui appear, so I started the GUI as root, Kodi does not remember my streaming selection which I must find in settings/services - upnp. How do I save my settings? Why isn't Kodi remembering things?

Thanks,
Jim
Quote:How do I save my settings? Why isn't Kodi remembering things?

It is. Since you are running it as root it is running under the /root/.kodi folder instead of the original /home/"$KODIUSER"/.kodi folder. That is why nothing is there.

Upnp server in Kodi makes me giggle a bit. I don't fully understand why it's there, but I guess it must have some purpose. If you want to do it right then run a proper service instead of a gui media center. Minidlna is the answer. You can still run Kodi locally if you wish of course. You will have more success if you use the right tool for the job.

Linking the Ubuntu page for it. Should be the same no matter what distro you use. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MiniDLNA
(2020-05-27, 06:19)jmgibson1981 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:How do I save my settings? Why isn't Kodi remembering things?

It is. Since you are running it as root it is running under the /root/.kodi folder instead of the original /home/"$KODIUSER"/.kodi folder. That is why nothing is there.

Upnp server in Kodi makes me giggle a bit. I don't fully understand why it's there, but I guess it must have some purpose. If you want to do it right then run a proper service instead of a gui media center. Minidlna is the answer. You can still run Kodi locally if you wish of course. You will have more success if you use the right tool for the job.

Linking the Ubuntu page for it. Should be the same no matter what distro you use. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MiniDLNA 
I need a upnp server that is recognized by me DCS Bartok DAC so I can play all of my music. It is looking on port 5000.
I installed minidlna on my OpenSUSE system, but do not see how to configure it. Any hints? Is there a GUI?
(2020-05-27, 15:13)jarome Wrote: [ -> ]I installed minidlna on my OpenSUSE system, but do not see how to configure it

There are plenty of links to be found via Google for the MiniDLNA configuration.
(2020-05-27, 15:13)jarome Wrote: [ -> ]I need a upnp server that is recognized by me DCS Bartok DAC so I can play all of my music. It is looking on port 5000.
I installed minidlna on my OpenSUSE system, but do not see how to configure it. Any hints? Is there a GUI?
Code:
sudo nano /etc/minidlna.conf

That is where it is on Ubuntu, Suse may be different. The file is well commented and you can change the port, and define sources here. Once that is done just restart the service.