Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: DXVA2, MOBO, GFX Card, Windows 7 32bit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I am bit confused and hoping to get an answer.
Running windows 7 32 bit on my HTPC, GFX card is GeForce GT 730, Kodi 18.1.
I cannot run 4K videos, my video stutters and I know it's the under powered video card.
Recently I  have been trying to run 1080p HEVC mkvs because of their small size.  I have DXVA2 enabled.  They tend to run fairly ok and when I check the video screen to see status of DXVA2 (with O option on keyboard) I see that the HEVC files use a lot of cpu resources and Software is indicated as the "processor", however when running h264 mkvs and I check the resources I see cpu usage is 3-4% and Hardware is indicated as being used, so I assume my video card is not HEVC capable and my cpu with integrated graphics is over taxed...assuming the system  defaults to the cpu  to run the HEVC...and maybe I am completely wrong here.

Lots of variables here and I am hoping that if I upgrade my Video card then this will all be solved and that I can run 4K and HEVC without issues.
Perhaps I should upgrade to windows 10?

I have an Asrock A75M-ITX  FM1, with an AMD A6-3500 processor, so I am limited to a low profile video card.  Thinking of purchasing a GeForce GT 1030.

thoughts on all of this would be appreciated
(2020-05-14, 00:12)homerjs Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, I am bit confused and hoping to get an answer.
I'm mostly confused and always hoping to get answers too Smile
(2020-05-14, 00:12)homerjs Wrote: [ -> ]maybe I am completely wrong here.
No, I think you're pretty close to the mark on this. I love it when users answer their own questions.
(2020-05-14, 00:12)homerjs Wrote: [ -> ]thoughts on all of this would be appreciated
It's an older 32 bit hardware set-up, I don't see pouring bucks into it when Kodi is reaching for new boundaries. As a computer it still has it's place and you could easily swing this into NAS operation, keeping the option of the tradition windows 7 PC alive. I guess you must weigh your computer time vs home entertainment usage, I don't think you would go wrong in one of the new NVIDIA android boxes. As a temp patch to tide you through for a while, you might want to use an External players (wiki) through a playercorefactory script just for those h265 encodes. The example in the wiki served me well until I updated to a 1060 but I still see short falls with 64bit, and I have yet to move to a UHD 4K display.
(2020-05-14, 01:33)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-05-14, 00:12)homerjs Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, I am bit confused and hoping to get an answer.
I'm mostly confused and always hoping to get answers too Smile
(2020-05-14, 00:12)homerjs Wrote: [ -> ]maybe I am completely wrong here.
No, I think you're pretty close to the mark on this. I love it when users answer their own questions.
(2020-05-14, 00:12)homerjs Wrote: [ -> ]thoughts on all of this would be appreciated
It's an older 32 bit hardware set-up, I don't see pouring bucks into it when Kodi is reaching for new boundaries. As a computer it still has it's place and you could easily swing this into NAS operation, keeping the option of the tradition windows 7 PC alive. I guess you must weigh your computer time vs home entertainment usage, I don't think you would go wrong in one of the new NVIDIA android boxes. As a temp patch to tide you through for a while, you might want to use an External players (wiki) through a playercorefactory script just for those h265 encodes. The example in the wiki served me well until I updated to a 1060 but I still see short falls with 64bit, and I have yet to move to a UHD 4K display. 

fantastic reply, lots of great info.  I just found a thread in the forums that speaks on the GeForce GT 1030 , which makes me lean towards buying it.  I built this HTPC back in 2014 and it still performs well so a small monetary upgrade may be worth it.  Again, thanks for your fantastic input, I love it when users are kind and informative Big Grin , much appreciated
I have an Asrock A75M-ITX  FM1, with an AMD A6-3500 processor, so I am limited to a low profile video card.  Thinking of purchasing a GeForce GT 1030.

i think you would  be better of upgrading to amd am4 

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%2.../index.asp
Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX
any amd athlon 200g-amd athlon 3000g to ryzen G 2200 2400 3400
To get best performance for 4k or any hevc stuff you need to be running a 64bit version of Windows in addition to a newer graphics card, in order that you can install and use the 64bit version of Kodi.
(2020-05-14, 02:54)the_other_guy Wrote: [ -> ]I have an Asrock A75M-ITX  FM1, with an AMD A6-3500 processor, so I am limited to a low profile video card.  Thinking of purchasing a GeForce GT 1030.

i think you would  be better of upgrading to amd am4 

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%2.../index.asp
Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX
any amd athlon 200g-amd athlon 3000g to ryzen G 2200 2400 3400

thanks for that info but then I need a new processor, new ram and new video card...not looking to spend that much coin, this is strictly for movies only on my end, no gaming
(2020-05-14, 03:14)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]To get best performance for 4k or any hevc stuff you need to be running a 64bit version of Windows in addition to a newer graphics card, in order that you can install and use the 64bit version of Kodi.

great, thanks for this

Just purchased the GT 1030 and installed it.  It plays 4k without issue but it uses the CPU to play/decode 10 bit HEVC...weird.  Is this because of Windows OS...should I upgrade to windows 10 64bit?