Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Windows 7 x86 GT 1030 HEVC 10bit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just upgraded my video card to a GT 1030, because it was the best fit and best price for my old HTPC.
Plugged it in, plays 4k HEVC 8bit video no problem, but 1080p HEVC 10bit it offloads the work to Software (using the O button to check this)

Why is the GT1030 not decoding the HEVC 10bit?
4K video Decoder is : FF-HEVC-D3D11VA
1080p 10 bit Decoder is : FF-HEVC

Is this a limitation of the card  or is this a limitation of Windows x86, should I be upgrading to Windows 10 64bit to correct this?
According to card specs 10 bit HEVC is supported

Thanks
Use DXVA Checker to see what GPU driver reports as supported, get it from https://bluesky-soft.com/en/DXVAChecker.html however I think for 10 bit you'll likely need either Win 8 or 10.
I think this was covered before, HEVC 10 bit support requires a newer OS due to limitations in Directx on Win7.  Nvidia also no longer produce drivers for x86/32bit Windows (all versions)
(2020-05-14, 19:11)homerjs Wrote: [ -> ]should I be upgrading to Windows 10 64bit to correct this?
Yes. This thread might help, and check this forum for threads regarding HDR
Yep I remembered it as a limitation of Windows 7 and just confirmed see https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2170078

So nothing to do with it being the 32 bit version of Windows 7 as it's a issue with all versions of Windows 7. If you decide to upgrade OS you might as go for a 64 bit version as the 64 bit Kodi version runs demanding video files far better.
I just tried a different player,  MPC-HC with Lava filters and I have no issue playing 4K 10 bit so I think it is Kodi related.

I see threads talking about using MadVR etc inside of Kodi, does Kodi not have a version that supports HEVC 10 bit or do I need to go the workaround route?

Thanks for the info guys
(2020-05-15, 00:27)homerjs Wrote: [ -> ]MPC-HC with Lava filters and I have no issue playing 4K 10 bit so I think it is Kodi related.
It's actually related to MS windows DirectX & 10bit and Kodi usage of it. Workarounds are HDR forks in this forum, h265 HEVC (wiki) has been supported for a few generations now.
(2020-05-15, 00:27)homerjs Wrote: [ -> ]I just tried a different player,  MPC-HC with Lava filters and I have no issue playing 4K 10 bit so I think it is Kodi related.

I see threads talking about using MadVR etc inside of Kodi, does Kodi not have a version that supports HEVC 10 bit or do I need to go the workaround route?

Thanks for the info guys

Read the link as it's all explained in detail. Basically Kodi uses DirectX 11 and it's this that requires Windows 8 and above for HEVC 10 bit.
(2020-05-14, 22:59)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-05-14, 19:11)homerjs Wrote: [ -> ]should I be upgrading to Windows 10 64bit to correct this?
Yes. This thread might help, and check this forum for threads regarding HDR

Just in case you're not aware, while current HDR content is always 10 bit, however just because something is 10 bit that does not mean it's got to be HDR content, as there's plenty of SDR 10 bit content since SDR can be either 8 bit or 10 bit.
ok, thanks guys, I tried fooling around with it and results are worse..I am going to upgrade to Windows 10...does it matter if it is x86 or 64?
Thanks
(2020-05-15, 16:48)homerjs Wrote: [ -> ]ok, thanks guys, I tried fooling around with it and results are worse..I am going to upgrade to Windows 10...does it matter if it is x86 or 64?
Thanks
x86 = 32bit
64 = 64bit
As previously stated up in the thread by @jjd-uk: "If you decide to upgrade OS you might as go for a 64 bit version as the 64 bit Kodi version runs demanding video files far better."
x64 obviously can use much more RAM, but of course you have to have the RAM in your system first.  If you only have like 2Gb RAM I wouldn't expect wonders from x64.

Should add that if you are thinking of going this route, you might download the 1907 x64 iso from microsoft now, so you aren't a forced beta tester for 2004.  You need to check your hardware.  I had a laptop that wouldn't upgrade 7-10 (setup failed).

scott s.
Upgraded to Windows 10  32 bit ...thats what I had to work with since I was having mobo issues ...anyway, Windows 10 32 and HEVC and 4K work great, easier then I made it..thanks guys
Much appreciate your help on all of this
Thread marked solved.