Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Xubuntu 18.04 and Kodi 18.6 - Perceived performance issues with video add-ons
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

I've had a xubuntu box running 18.04 and Krypton Kodi for ages.  Unfortunately my box fried which I replaced with a slightly more powerful unit.  I kept Xubuntu 18.04 but oped for v18.6 of Kodi using the stable ppa.  Lucky i had a backup of my add-on and user folders that I was able to move these over.  I upgraded the plugins to the newest versions available in the kodi distro i installed.

On my new rig, navigating windows is very quick, but Kodi seems to really struggle with video add-ons even though cpu usage is low.  For instance, the food network add-on seems to take forever to navigate - it feels like it's struggling when scraping the contents of the website.  Playback takes forever to start and when it does the box can't maintain continuously playback.  The attached log complains about "Readrate 340000 is too low with 442077 required" however this is well within the capabilities of my internet connection.   Checking against my windows rig upstairs (which i confess is a much faster machine), the add-ons are instant, and playback is silky. 

I've checked the download speeds of both boxes to eliminate any network issues and both run internet speed tests and nearly identical rates.

I've attached a log in pastebin here: https://pastebin.com/XSSzbdi5

I have a few questions I was hoping someone could shed some light on:
  1)  Are their any known issues with my combo?  Does anything jump out at anyone?
  2)  Could this be a curl or video inputstream issue?  Are there any additional packages I should be installing from sources other than the PPA and Ubuntu updates?
  3)  Could it be that reusing my old user add-on folder is causing issues?  I do see a lot of "trying to load setting definitions from old format." issues in my log
  4)  Should I bite the bullet and go to xubuntu 20.04?

Thanks, and I appreciate the help!