Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Visualization plugins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,
back in the XBMC days there used to be plenty of Visualization plugins (which were basically spectrum analyzers drawing neat visual effects based on the audio playing).
What happened?

Is this something I could install somehow?
https://github.com/xbmc/visualization.mi...2/releases
Anyone cares to provide some rudimentary instructions?

Thank you!
(2020-06-02, 22:01)Csimbi Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there,
back in the XBMC days there used to be plenty of Visualization plugins (which were basically spectrum analyzers drawing neat visual effects based on the audio playing).
What happened?

Is this something I could install somehow?
https://github.com/xbmc/visualization.mi...2/releases
Anyone cares to provide some rudimentary instructions?

Thank you!

I don't remember if milkdrop comes preinstalled. If not, it's definitely available through the standard repos. So you should be able to get it by going to System -> Add-ons -> Install from Repository -> Kodi Add-on repository -> Look and Feel -> Visualization -> MilkDrop 2

Install it, then configure it to activate when you play music by going to System -> Player -> Music -> Visualization and selecting Milkdrop 2.
Hi there,
thanks!

I got this far except there is no "Visualization" anywhere in the Add-ons menu (not on top level and not under "Look and Feel" either).
If you are using a Linux distro then certain addons such as Visualisations can only be installed via the distros package manager.

For example for Ubuntu see https://kodi.wiki/view/Ubuntu_binary_add-ons
@jjd-uk 
Thanks, that helps.
Seems they need to be installed using APT.
Gonna try kodi-visualization-spectrum tonight.
Any ideas how to install MilkDrop (name of package?)
Thank you!
Milkdrop is Windows only, the equivalent for non-Windows OS is ProjectM.

List of PPA visualisation packages at https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc/+archiv...ies_filter=
Just to add for your info, addons come in 2 types, the normal python addons that are cross platform and typical installed via the Kodi gui, then there's binary addons which are tied to specific OS and architecture types, these can also be installed via gui on the non-Linux OS's e.g. Windows, but for Linux it's always via the package manager e.g. apt.

If you go to page I linked above you can see all packages, note I linked to a filtered list to show only visualisation packages, so to see everything where it's got

Package name contains: kodi-visualization

remove the kodi-visualization part to get the complete listing.
(2020-07-17, 12:35)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]Milkdrop is Windows only, the equivalent for non-Windows OS is ProjectM.

List of PPA visualisation packages at https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc/+archiv...ies_filter=

Very useful, thanks!

Funny thing.
Code:
csimbi@kodibox:~$ sudo apt-get install kodi-visualization-spectrum
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
kodi-visualization-spectrum is already the newest version (3.0.3-1).
kodi-visualization-spectrum set to manually installed.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 29 not upgraded.
Yet I can't select Spectrum in the settings.

Here is the other.
Code:
csimbi@kodibox:~$ sudo apt-get install kodi-visualization-projectm
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package kodi-visualization-projectm

I sense something is either missing or broken.
How would I go on about troubleshooting this?

Thank you!
Linux is not my thing, but from the wiki link I posted earlier you should do

Code:
sudo apt-get update

before anything else.

If you did that but just didn't say or makes no difference, then what type of device is it? does it have a x86/x64 based CPU from Intel/AMD as those packages can't be used for ARM architectures.
Yes, that's how I started.
But, it was not even necessary.
According to apt, the spectrum addon is already installed:
Code:
kodi-visualization-spectrum is already the newest version (3.0.3-1).
Yet, I can't select it: when I tap on the box to select the music addon, the dialog simply disappears.
This should not happen because there is at least one plugin installed.

As for projectm, I am not sure.
The PPA might be wrong, or it does not support Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (Focal Fossa).

I am puzzled as to why I can't select at least the spectrum addon - it is installed after all.

It's an older Asrock H81M-ITX board with an i3-4150 CPU (3.5Ghz) plus 8GB RAM.
No GPU.

Code:

Linux kodibox 5.4.0-42-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 10 00:24:02 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=20.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=focal
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS"
projectm is available, some others like spectrum and waveform failed to build for a while. I'm working on it
@wsnipex 
Hi there,
good to hear from you.
And good to hear it's being worked on, thanks!