Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Stuttering during usage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After starting Kodi, the whole GUI becomes very jerky\stuttering as I move the cursor around and navigating through the UI menu. Loading a movie results in jerky playback as well.

This behaviour only started a few weeks ago, and I first thought it might be the Library update running when Kodi starts. So I turned that off, no change.

I don't know if it is due to the latest firmware and HD Station updates. I'm using a NAS Qnap box.
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
(2020-06-05, 13:09)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum

Hopefully I did it right
https://paste.kodi.tv/gudohufica
Yes and a little no. I had to change the URL to lower case.
Also it's recommended to restart Kodi when you enable debugging, so debugging can start from the beginning.

I don't see any videos being played, though. So it's just the GUI that is stuttering?

(2020-06-05, 13:05)DoctorJellybean Wrote: [ -> ]This behaviour only started a few weeks ago

Hmpf... Perhaps an Ubuntu update that went sour?!?

The J1900 board did have problems in the past, I just hope those got fixed ultimately.
You could also try installing Ubuntu 20.04.

I do see plenty of screensavers... Could you try and rename your .kodi folder to something else temporarily, and restart Kodi, and see if the stuttering is still there with clean/new settings? Don't install add-ons just yet.
Ubuntu? Screensavers? I think something went wrong somewhere, as this is a QNAP NAS TS-251+ running QTS 4.2. I used the Kodi Logfile Uploader.

I'll do it again, and play a video as well this time. But yes, the GUI is stuttering as well.

One thing though: according to the instructions, one has to press Ctrl + Shift + d and restart. I did that, but saw no counters running after the restart. It only started after I pressed the keys combination. I did skip creating an entry in the advancedsettings.xml file as the counters started running when I pressed the keys combination.

Rename the .kodi folder? Err, which one is that?

Thanks for your help so far.
(2020-06-05, 19:25)DoctorJellybean Wrote: [ -> ]Ubuntu? Screensavers? I think something went wrong somewhere

Then you'll have to provide a new kodi debug log file.
The original link didn't work, and I thought I had fixed it.
Judging by the log, I'd say @Klojum fixed it correctly.
Quote: 2020-06-05 15:05:23.544 T:140087224113280 NOTICE: Running on Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS, kernel: Linux x86 64-bit version 4.14.24-qnap

That's running a qnap version on Ubuntu18.04.
Even the advancedsettings.xml file references the qnap NAS stuff
Quote:<cputempcommand>/opt/kodi/bin/get_NAS_temperature.sh</cputempcommand>

Sooo @DoctorJellybean , it appears your NAS is running Ubuntu 18.04 as a base OS.
(2020-06-05, 19:25)DoctorJellybean Wrote: [ -> ]Rename the .kodi folder? Err, which one is that?
This one /opt/Kodi18/.kodi
(2020-06-05, 20:53)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]Sooo @DoctorJellybean , it appears your NAS is running Ubuntu 18.04 as a base OS.
(2020-06-05, 19:25)DoctorJellybean Wrote: [ -> ]Rename the .kodi folder? Err, which one is that?
This one /opt/Kodi18/.kodi
Thank you.

Now I just have to figure out how to get to it to rename.
I haven't renamed the .kodi folder yet, but I repeated the debug with a video playback.

https://paste.kodi.tv/usizunuxuv
I renamed the .kodi folder, and the issue appears to be still there. I'll have a look at the Kodi settings later, perhaps it is a display issue?
(2020-06-06, 16:52)DoctorJellybean Wrote: [ -> ]perhaps it is a display issue?

It's always possible. Have you also checked the QNap forums, as this seems to concern of their NAS products.
Well, I'm not sure what happened but it behaved normally when I used it tonight. Weird.

Thanks for all the help.