Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Put multiple small videos into single directory
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I’m probably missing something simple, but I’ve spent 4 days on this, and hope someone can help. I have a number of Instruction Video series- ex. 56 mkv files in sequence. I don’t want to combine them, and I don’t want a million different entries on the home screen. I simply want a Parent identifier ( ie “Guitar fingerpicking technique” ) that, when I click on it, displays the individual videos, with their titles ( not just the parent title ). I’ve tried 2 ways, and am getting lost.
-First, and preferable, would be to write them to an .iso file … but I seem to keep making them Data DVDs instead of Movie DVDs. For this, is there a particular software you’d suggest?
Second approach is just to import all 56 mkv files into library, and find a way to better organize them. I’ve tried “movie sets” but it seems unclear. Do I need to create 56 subfolders and put the mkv files into them, label each with the name of the single file, and a specific .nfo file in each folder? That would take forever… so would tagging- context menu and adding them one at a time ( plus, they only have the parent name then. )
This should be easy, and maybe I’m just complicating it. Thanks for the help.

Currently, I mostly want to use Kodi to host videos and music on my local network. Running CoreElec on an Odroid N2.
There are a few ways to do what you want, but they all need to be scanned into the library first. There probably is no metadata, so you will need to use nfo files.

1. Add them as a TV Show. You can have the TV show named as "Guitar fingerpicking technique" and then add all the files as episodes, either in 1 big season, or broken down into various seasons, depending on the content (My no.1 choice)
2. Add them as a movie, and create a movie set. The disadvantage with this is the extra 56 movies in your movie library as opposed to one tv show
3. Add them as a movie, and create a Smart Playlist. Same disadvantage as no. 2

See My Signature below for links to guides.

Consider the above, and let us know which one you choose. (no 1 obviously Wink )
(2020-06-13, 04:23)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]There are a few ways to do what you want, but they all need to be scanned into the library first. There probably is no metadata, so you will need to use nfo files.

1. Add them as a TV Show. You can have the TV show named as "Guitar fingerpicking technique" and then add all the files as episodes, either in 1 big season, or broken down into various seasons, depending on the content (My no.1 choice)
2. Add them as a movie, and create a movie set. The disadvantage with this is the extra 56 movies in your movie library as opposed to one tv show

Consider the above, and let us know which one you choose. (no 1 obviously Wink )

Yes, the first one seems the best. To add them as movie sets would take forever I think. I'll have to figure out how to remove them from the library and then I'll try the TV Show approach. Thanks so much. I thought I was pretty technically savy, but this process has been a challenge.
(2020-06-13, 04:45)jhjenningsiii Wrote: [ -> ]I'll have to figure out how to remove them from the library and then I'll try the TV Show approach.
A couple of ways. If you are using a keyboard, hit Del on each title.

If you have those movies in a single Source, then use the Remove Source method detailed here... https://kodi.wiki/view/Updating_or_remov...om_Library
(2020-06-13, 04:23)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]There are a few ways to do what you want, but they all need to be scanned into the library first. There probably is no metadata, so you will need to use nfo files.

I removed the files from the library, and added them back, choosing TV Show as the type. I tried it a number of different ways, but the TV Shows category in the main menu still says the library is empty. I go into Files and try to add and nothing. I think I need to rename them. Each file has a descriptive name, and not the S1-Ep1 sort of name.
(2020-06-13, 06:29)jhjenningsiii Wrote: [ -> ]I think I need to rename them. Each file has a descriptive name, and not the S1-Ep1 sort of name.
Yes, the files need to be renamed. Something like Guitar fingerpicking technique S01E01 or if you want more informative episode names, then S01E01 - Lesson 1. Use the SxxEyy format.

I assume there is no online metadata to scrape, so you also need nfo files to scan them into the library. You need 1 tvshow.nfo file and a nfo file for each episode.

Check the wiki here... https://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/TV_shows On that page is a template for both types. Copy the template and fill it out.
(2020-06-13, 06:39)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-06-13, 06:29)jhjenningsiii Wrote: [ -> ]I think I need to rename them. Each file has a descriptive name, and not the S1-Ep1 sort of name.
Yes, the files need to be renamed. Something like Guitar fingerpicking technique S01E01 or if you want more informative episode names, then S01E01 - Lesson 1. Use the SxxEyy format.

I assume there is no online metadata to scrape, so you also need nfo files to scan them into the library. You need 1 tvshow.nfo file and a nfo file for each episode.

Check the wiki here... https://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/TV_shows On that page is a template for both types. Copy the template and fill it out.

Do I need to put each file in a separate folder, or can I have all 56 files in 1 folder? But then, how does Kodi figure which nfo file goes with which episode? Jeesh. This is complicated. Think it would be easier to put burn them to an iso file, but I'm struggling with that too. Will try again tomorrow. I really appreciate your help.
(2020-06-13, 07:01)jhjenningsiii Wrote: [ -> ]Do I need to put each file in a separate folder, or can I have all 56 files in 1 folder? But then, how does Kodi figure which nfo file goes with which episode? Jeesh. This is complicated.

No, you can stuff them all in one folder. I once wrote a PHP tool to create all 96 nfo files for a webinar video series I had. The nfo files will need to be the exact same filename as each video file for Kodi to pick up.
(2020-06-13, 07:11)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-06-13, 07:01)jhjenningsiii Wrote: [ -> ]Do I need to put each file in a separate folder, or can I have all 56 files in 1 folder? But then, how does Kodi figure which nfo file goes with which episode? Jeesh. This is complicated.

No, you can stuff them all in one folder. I once wrote a PHP tool to create all 96 nfo files for a webinar video series I had. The nfo files will need to be the exact same filename as each video file for Kodi to pick up.
Thank you all so much. I renamed the files in the format S01E01-Text, added the tvshow.nfo and nfo files for all 59 "episodes" and it's working fine. I wonder if there's an easy script I could use to create the episode nfo files.
There are Media Managers that will create nfo files for you. Are they any easier than typing straight into the template. My opinion is that they are not.

By the time you install, check settings, double check guide to ensure settings are correct, learn the new interface, fix the errors you make while becoming accustomed to the new software, and then create your nfo files, you could have completed all 59 nfo files, by creating one, making 58 copies and just editing the changes.
(2020-06-14, 04:09)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]There are Media Managers that will create nfo files for you. Are they any easier than typing straight into the template. My opinion is that they are not.

By the time you install, check settings, double check guide to ensure settings are correct, learn the new interface, fix the errors you make while becoming accustomed to the new software, and then create your nfo files, you could have completed all 59 nfo files, by creating one, making 58 copies and just editing the changes.

Thanks to everyone. While it's a pain, I'm importing as TV shows, with .nfo files.