Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HDCP 2.x
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I see more and more storries about HDCP

but does it really gives a problem with not legal content ?  wat will it do?

And will a HDMI splitter help ?

can somebody help ?
(2020-06-21, 14:29)NiekN Wrote: [ -> ]I see more and more storries about HDCP

but does it really gives a problem with not legal content ?  wat will it do?

And will a HDMI splitter help ?

can somebody help ?
We don't discuss 'not legal content' here.
What is legal and what is illegal ? At some point in time it was considered to be a violation of USA DMCA to circumvent CSS on DVD, but since i think Kodi 17, it does include libdvdcss, and thus "cracks" DVDs. It doesn't do the same thing for BD/UHD, but only does decoding when you feed it decryption keys (from somewhere). In all of these cases, any officially licensed hardwareplayer who does this (not Kodi), is forced by license agreement to send the signal out only with HDCP AFAIK. HDCP 1.0 for DVD/BD, 2.2 for UHD. Kodi does not do that.

I think the explanation for Kodis choice here is that circumventing CSS is not considered to be effective copy protection aymore, wheras AACS still is considered to be effective, and effectiveness seems to play into the consideration what is and what is not in violation of DMCA. But i can not find an official explanation about this from Team Kodi. I thought there as one. Maybe i should ask ChatGPT ;-)

In any case, HDCP is never a problem for anything you can play back from Kodi, because Kodi does not create HDCP signaling. Plugins that may use browser engines under the hood excluded. So effectively, if you have where you run Kodi, the HDCP problems will solely be with other programs, such as browsers that you may use to wach streaming programs that you are paying fees for. HDCP 2.2 specifically on windows is in my experience the biggest problem here. Terrible..