Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: KODI quits playback and goes back menu suddenly all the time.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've just got a brand new Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro recently all my purpose of purchase it is to enjoy smooth KODI experience. It really flies but I've come across a problem that drives me crazy.

Whenever I open a movie or any other video from KODI library, KODI randomly gives up playing suddenly and goes back to the last menu where I opened the content. It happens just after the video being opened and sometimes middle of the movie. And then I got to re-open the thing what was playing, fortunately KODI usually remembers where it quits.

For instance; on a 2 hours movie it happens more than 5 times.

After a couple of hours online searching for what causes this I've found a few tricks on other forum and here. But nothing helped me out. So far; I follow these following tricks;
1. I disabled IP6
2. I disabled "Always scan networks"
3. Turned off all CEC

I've got Zyxel NAS (modem number 326) and my router is Asus rt ax88u. I think both are eligible for smooth local network streaming. By the way; all shares folders on NAS device are on SMB protocol. I have two other Android TVs those both have KODI installed on the same local network they're running without any problems. Only Shield behaves like this.

You can find my KODI logs here: https://paste.kodi.tv/cuwapahesa Thanks in advance.
Mine does something similar.  During live TV, or DVR programs, or any video file, it will randomly go all the way back to the Android TV menu.  I have read 2 different reasons for this:  Problems with the remote cause it to randomly send out signals, causing this issue.  Or that for some reason the video file is too much work for the android box and it crashes the program you are using, causing it to go back to a menu.  I am using a Nvidia Shield, and have not been able to solve this problem
@Roztel I had VERY similar issues on my Shield 2015 with an Asus router.  Unfortunately, it turned out to be some incompatibility between the wireless chipset (or chipset driver) that the Shield uses and Asus routers.  Ultimately I had to resolve the issue by replacing the router.  You can confirm that it's a wireless related issue on the shield by testing playback using an Ethernet cable (I ran a long one across the floor temporarily).  Below is some information I posted in another thread detailing my results after extensive troubleshooting that lead me to this conclusion (you can match up errors in the kodi and asus logs).  Good luck!
Quote:If you look at the syslog messages for your ASUS router (assuming you ARE having the same problem I did), you will see something very similar to the following in your router logs when the issue occurs on your shield:
Feb 19 21:50:38 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(386): eth2: Deauth_ind 00:04:4B:47:4B:C7, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3)

Matched with the following in your Kodi log for almost exactly the same time:
2020-02-19 21:50:40.104 T:7463 ERROR: Read - Error( -1, 103, Software caused connection abort )

I tried to no avail to make changes to my wireless settings to fix it and spent quite a bit of time scouring the smallnetbuilders Asus subforum (very active community there) looking for a root cause of that Asus error but came up empty.

My theory (based on very little) is that it's some sort of incompatibility with the driver for the wireless chipset that the Shield uses and the wireless chipset that Asus routers use (and possible some other routers as well).  I had an ASUS RT-AC88U for reference.  It's possible that a firmware update from Nvidia that changes the driver would resolve the issue.  However, Nvidia's forums are a nightmare, support seems sporadic and I had very little interest in hoping I could convince Nvidia to investigate the issue and create a firmware fix just for me.  For what it's worth, my Asus router was fantastic and I had 0 other problems with it but in order to resolve this, replacing it turned out to be best solution.