Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Playback Resumer (Matrix+ , v2.0.1+)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Honestly no idea, not sure I have one of those.  Best thing to do would be to boot your Kodi, play one for a couple of minutes, then send me a full *debug* log of that.   Maybe I can work something out, although in theory I'd have thought it would work like any other video in your library (the video in question must be in your library...)
Here is the de-bug log.  I hope I did it right.  I was also wondering if I was using it right.  Do I have to do anything to get it to work?  Or does it just work automatically after installing the add-on?  What I did before was to play the image file and then turn off the unit (PI4) and then turn it back on and try to resume, but it always started back at the beginning.

HTTPS://PASTE.KODI.TV/AHEHIHIDUF
Your link is not working...

In general if you install it (and it is enabled) - it will start setting a resume point every 20 seconds in the background.   You can configure it like any other Kodi addon...so have  look in there.

(And when you paste links, don't use all caps!  But even in lower case it is not loading...)
For some reason I finally got a good upload.  Not sure what happened different, but this one seems to be working.

https://paste.kodi.tv/tehulobeba

I did the same as before.  I played an .iso file for a few minutes then tried to resume but, it just started back from the beginning.  Let me know if you need anything else.  I would love to see this working for image files.  That has been the main option I have needed Kodi to have.
Yep so the basic problem here is these are not in your library...here's a few relevant lines from that log:

Code:

2021-10-08 18:42:49.237 T:1209 DEBUG <general>: ### Kodi Playback Resumer 2.0.3 - Could not find/parse advancedsettings.xml, will use defaults
2021-10-08 18:42:49.238 T:1209 DEBUG <general>: ### Kodi Playback Resumer 2.0.3 - Using ignoresecondsatstart: 180, ignorepercentatend: 8

2021-10-08 18:44:25.646 T:1209 DEBUG <general>: ### Kodi Playback Resumer 2.0.3 - Executing JSON-RPC: {"jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "Files.GetFileDetails", "params": {"file": "smb://192.168.1.106/Public/Television/Americans/The Americans_S03D04.iso", "media": "video", "properties": ["playcount", "runtime"]}, "id": "fileDetailsCheck"} 2021-10-08 18:44:25.647 T:1209 DEBUG <general>: CUtil::GetMatchingSource: no matching source found for [smb://192.168.1.106/Public/Television/Americans/The Americans_S03D04.iso]

2021-10-08 18:44:26.323 T:1209 DEBUG <general>: ### Kodi Playback Resumer 2.0.3 - JSON-RPC Files.GetFileDetails response: {"id": "fileDetailsCheck", "jsonrpc": "2.0", "result": {"filedetails": {"label": "The Americans_S03D04.iso", "type": "unknown"}}}
2021-10-08 18:44:26.323 T:1209 DEBUG <general>: ### Kodi Playback Resumer 2.0.3 - Unsupported type of video unknown for smb://192.168.1.106/Public/Television/Americans/The Americans_S03D04.iso

2021-10-08 18:48:26.375 T:1209 DEBUG <general>: ### Kodi Playback Resumer 2.0.3 - No/invalid library id (None) for smb://192.168.1.106/Public/Television/Americans/The Americans_S03D04.iso so can't set a resume point

So, playback resumer can't really help you here - these things need to be properly in your library for it to set a resume point.

This doed not prevent Kodi from setting it's own file related resume point (when you stop the video, and if the timer is >180 seconds and less than 8 percent from the end, as per Kodi default settings - but that's an entirely separate thing to this addon which auto-sets resume points along the way but needs a library ID to do so.

As general advice, in my experience, Kodi only has limited/not great support for containers like .iso - they have to be 'mounted and parsed' to be used.  If you're ripping your own DVDs, then much better to rip to separate episodes, if you can.
Hi I couldn't quite get this to work for my needs. I think the main problem for me currently is that the Xbox version of Kodi has recently been updated and has load of bugs and problems that I'm having to circumnavigate.

I use Plex Kodi Connect this adds the content from my local Plex Media Server so I can run it on the main Kodi player instead of the regular built in Plex addon which launches its own version. I do this mainly because I like to use the Kodi .m3u playlist editor to make playlists with both Plex Kodi Connect and the YouTube addon content so that when played It goes straight through what I'd like to watch, and I prefer this so I don't have to launch multiple applications and navigate through several playlists that are constantly interchanging. I usually build the playlist before I go to bed and then have them automatically play with my home automation with Google Home at certain times of the day.

My goal is to use this addon so that when things automatically shutoff at night while I'm asleep it will track which video in the playlist I am on, and the specific time position of those videos, and then when things automatically come on in the morning it would continue playing from where it left off, hopefully with the playlist still intact and then once the video it picks up on finishes it will continue the playlist as normal, surviving through the reboot.

My first issue is with Plex Kodi Connect. As I mentioned before the service addon you've made (or continued to work on) just doesn't work with this addon, even though the content is added directly to my library. I'm not sure if this is because of the new 19.3 Matrix version update I'm using on the Xbox One, which has come packed with issues and wasn't working with addons at all until this temporary fix was made. Or if the service addon just never worked with that addon in the first place.

Since you've mentioned in a previous post this service addon is not entirely meant to work with addons at all as per one of your previous posts "these things need to be properly in your library for it to set a resume point" and I'm not sure if Plex Kodi Connect is actually putting my content in the library or just making it appear as if it is, obviously it's not downloading the content to my Xbox, it streams it from my Plex Media Server but it appears in my main library as if it were on the device.

So basically I'm here to request a few features, generally that would be to have this Kodi Playback Resumer service addon work with video addons, as there is potential that I may use others down the road, and also that others may use for their own purposes. But if this is too big of a request then I would like it to specifically work with the YouTube addon above all. I would like to be able to have a full playlist of videos survive a reboot and continue from where it left off the next boot, and continue on as normal without losing the playlist, and hopefully the position of the video it saves on, so that it picks up right from where it left off (say there is an hour long video and it gets halfway through before the reboot I'd like it to continue after the reboot from halfway through).

Previous to the 19.3 Matrix update I was using (or trying to use) another addon on 18.9 Leia that no longer works since the new update requires python 3 instead of python 2. This addon was close to doing the things I needed but had  a few problems mainly working with the YouTube addon's MPEG Dash feature. The addon is called Kodi Resume and for the most part I was able to get this one to work beside it not working with MPEG Dash; it often did not resume the exact position of the video; the mute feature was broken and would often boot muted; and sometimes it would not reboot with a playlist just a single video. I figured I'd mention this addon so you can use the code if you could not come up with one yourself with the features I requested but obviously this code is in python 2 not 3, and I have little coding experience and therefore have no knowledge of how long it would take to use that code, rewrite it, and implement the features.

Also when adding YouTube videos to the .m3u playlist editor via the queue video button in the context menu, and saving it. Then replaying them, the videos play from the music playlist section rather than the video playlist section, that's an issue for the YouTube addon guys to fix but I thought worth mentioning since when using the aforementioned "Kodi Resume" addon it would boot in the music playlist menu with weird number lettering instead of the video names, which wasn't a problem for me because after a video would play the title would go back to normal. That is of course unless it booted with an MPEG Dash video then it would have a random assortment of characters and then something along the line of .dash after it (I'm misremembering) but that is another issue that could maybe be sorted out with your help.

So I figured if you're in the middle of a rewrite anyway, or even if you aren't, I would really appreciate the features I mentioned and I'm willing to help in whatever way is possible for me as I mentioned before I have little experience coding, and none in python.

Although I wouldn't mind if a few of these weren't possible or out of reach, and I'm aware that these things take time. I appreciate your continued efforts as I'm a longtime lurker.

Sorry if I messed up my reply or came off as rude or asking a lot for it is my first time posting and I'm not entire sure of how things work around here.

But whatever help would be greatly appreciated, and if you know of any other way to obtain my goals and could point me in the right direction that would also be appreciated as I've searched the internet and GitHub frequently for something along the lines of what I've asked for, and currently this is the newest and most recent posts of what I'm looking for.

Thanks again. And if you need me to clarify anything or have any other questions you may need me to answer I'll try to get back as quickly as possible, and I'll check every couple days/hours or so.
First, definitely not rude and ...certainly comprehensive!

Looking at Plex Connect, it does say that it puts things into the Kodi library, so on the face of it, I'd expect it to work with Playback Resumer.  A full debug log (playing your file for 5 mins or so) - would help see if that is the case.

Beyond that, though, I'm really not very familiar with Kodi and playlists.  I have found them to be pretty clunky when I have tried playing with them.  I guess in theory this addon could save the current playlist and resume it, but it's probably a bit beyond the scope of what I want to do & support with this addon.  And I'm afraid I'm not going to set up a Plex server etc. to test it - I see no point in Plex, to be honest, vs. just a native library - for my needs.  That said if I can work out why it is nor generally resuming, I'd be happy to consider a fix for that (...need that debug log though).

For me the number one feature of this addon is that it sets resume points in the background to allow easy resume in the case of misadventure.  The auto-restart etc I ported over because it was there, but I don't actually use any of that and I don't see myself spending a bunch of time working on things I don't use.  I'd be very happy to look at a pull request, though.  If you're at the point of Google home automations etc, then the Python involved for this is probably not too far away from your skills, and would be a great learning exercise (I'd be willing to help along the way with guidance etc).
(2021-11-09, 01:58)bossanova808 Wrote: [ -> ]First, definitely not rude and ...certainly comprehensive!

Looking at Plex Connect, it does say that it puts things into the Kodi library, so on the face of it, I'd expect it to work with Playback Resumer.  A full debug log (playing your file for 5 mins or so) - would help see if that is the case.

Beyond that, though, I'm really not very familiar with Kodi and playlists.  I have found them to be pretty clunky when I have tried playing with them.  I guess in theory this addon could save the current playlist and resume it, but it's probably a bit beyond the scope of what I want to do & support with this addon.  And I'm afraid I'm not going to set up a Plex server etc. to test it - I see no point in Plex, to be honest, vs. just a native library - for my needs.  That said if I can work out why it is nor generally resuming, I'd be happy to consider a fix for that (...need that debug log though).

For me the number one feature of this addon is that it sets resume points in the background to allow easy resume in the case of misadventure.  The auto-restart etc I ported over because it was there, but I don't actually use any of that and I don't see myself spending a bunch of time working on things I don't use.  I'd be very happy to look at a pull request, though.  If you're at the point of Google home automations etc, then the Python involved for this is probably not too far away from your skills, and would be a great learning exercise (I'd be willing to help along the way with guidance etc).

I can't speak directly for Plex Connect but I maintain the Mezzmo Kodi addon, which is similar in concept but a different DLNA server.  I suspect Plex is writing to the Kodi database mainly to use the built-in relationships between the Plex video URLs, actors, episodes and similar.  This is what I do with the Mezzmo addon.  But when it comes to bookmarks and such I suspect they have them on the Plex server so that they can be shared across the Plex clients.  Those bookmarks are likely then used to do things like setting the bookmark icons, resume points and similar in the Kodi GUI.  The Kodi database bookmarks, resume points and similar are likely ignored.  At least that's how the Mezzmo addon works.  I also do things like saving the Kodi resume point to Mezzmo every 30 seconds, have context menus to allow marking / unmarking the watched flag in Mezzmo, user ability to restart a stopped video from 0 - 30 seconds back, pause stopped video playback and much more). 

I am not sure if I helped or not but just wanted to point out that bookmarks, resume points and similar may live on the Plex server. 

Jeff
Hi,
Any chance that this could be made to work with music player also? I’m using a Pi 4 in the car for audio, and the Kodi Remote app to direct it, which at least keeps your last place in the library structure, but it’d be great for it to pick up the song where I leave it when I get out of the car.
Currently using a Mausberry circuit that does a safe shutdown when accessory power is cut, so there’s about 10 or so seconds before everything shuts down completely.

Thanks. I used a previous iteration for a time, but it wasn’t all that useful with just video.
Probably wouldn't be that hard to add audio support.  I'll have a look sometime - open a feature request issue here so that I remember this next time I have some time to look at this: https://github.com/bossanova808/script.s...mer/issues
Hi,

Thank you for the addon. I've enabled "auto-resume playback at startup", although when I close kodi while playing a video and then re-run kodi, it opens into its home page. Shouldn't it start playing that same video from last resume point right away with this setting enabled?
It should (if it's a video in your library, anyway). 

Cant help without a full debug log, though.  In you case, two really - one as you shutdown Kodi, and one as it comes back up again (most systems preserve the previous log, so this should not be too hard to do)
(2022-08-05, 01:35)bossanova808 Wrote: [ -> ]It should (if it's a video in your library, anyway).

Oh, I see now. I thought it would autostart any video, even selected from a file system. It starts playing anything added to the library, thank you.
Hello,
I too would like to see resume work for music playlists. There are a couple of old addona that used to contain this capability but they were written in  python 2 so no longer work. 

Here's the links to the old python addons.
https://github.com/drax68/kodi-resume
https://github.com/idorel77/kodi-resume
It looks like they are both forks from the same branch.
For what it's worth I am having a addon here that I am using to resume audio books after a hard shutdown:
https://github.com/verybadsoldier/kodi-s...ableresume
Pages: 1 2 3 4