Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Do anyone had any success with LIRC using USB/COM converter with receiver TSOP4838?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to use IR control over Kodi but all I could do until now is to buy some keyboard emulator remote. Unfortunately there is a problem with that - brand remotes cost $200 or more which I consider too much for such device and cheap ones are, you know, cheap ones. Thinking it should be possible to use lirc I bought cheap receiver TSOP4838 and USB/COM converter based on pl2303 chip. Converter is recognized, receiver also seems working, at least I can see some unreadable data when listen /dev/ttyUSB0 using minicom on each remote key pressing but device /dev/lirc0 is not created. If I do modprobe serial_ir then said device is created but mode2 does not recognize anything at all anyway.
Kernel: 4.13.0-26.
I really want some success but have no idea what to do, I really like to make it possible use some nice TV or mediaplayer remote out of wide choice around instead of buying some pretty expensive one (and pay a lot for international shipping, yeah) without any choice at all.
(2020-06-25, 01:19)LStranger Wrote: [ -> ]I want to use IR control over Kodi

Have you considered something like this?
Find yourself an MCE receiver.  Once you have one you should be able to program pretty much any IR remote to work kodi via lirc.  Something like this for instance https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIM-remote-To...SwhrFe6w1O