Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Super slow mouse pointer/gui and not full speed video playback
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I have tried searching for the solution to this, completely in vain =( While there are other posts, none of them resolves my issue.

This is about a fresh Kodi install of version 18.7 on a fresh copy of Windows 10 (may 2020 and June 9 updates), without having added any plugins or add ons or whatever they are called, (I am too new to this to have tried that yet) other than those that came pre installed of course.

I have tried both version 18.7 and 17.6 of Kodi, and the problem is the same in both:

The Kodi mouse pointer is very very slow and laggy, I would say around 3 pfs(!) and so are the menus, and the video playback is I would say not as bad, but it too lags a little bit, which is especially noticeable when the camera is moving. Even though the debug thing shows an fps of around 10+ fps at times, the mouse pointer is clearly updated much slower than that.

I have never experienced anything like it GUI wise on any program or video player in my history with working with PC's, dating back to 1992.

When using Kodi in WINDOWED mode, however, the mouse pointer becomes much smoother, but only if the window is small, but it still lags behind my mouse movements quite a bit =/ When using a big windowed mode, the mouse pointer is again super slow, and the video playback suffers greatly compared to full screen mode.

Even when I get it up to 56 fps in a small windowed mode there is strange lag on the mouse pointer, and the video stutters a bit too. Very unusual.

I know that you guys recommend using full screen mode, but see, I really like being able to multitask while watching series and movies =) So I would really like to resolve this problem altogether, both in full screen and windowed mode.

I also know the problem is most likely my hardware; I am using a stone age Intel Core2 Duo E6600 with 2 GB ram. Running Windows 10 May 2020 and June 9 updates. (And running it very well and smoothly, I must say.)

My graphics card is also a stone age Nvidia GeForce 6200 Turbo Cache. My motherboard is an Asus p5b deluxe.

My audio card (which is most likely not part of the problem) is an M-audio AudioPhile 2496.

Even though I am pretty sure my stone age hardware is to blame here, I have really never encountered anything like it, so I am hoping that Kodi still can run smoothly like all other apps on my PC with the help of you ppl Smile

You see, this really should not be happening, as when I am watching videos in Kodi, the cpu is about 40%, so there is no real reason for this incredibly slow behavior, and a bit stuttery/slow video playback.

VLC for example, can show me videos just fine, but the problem I have with VLC is that it consumes about 80% of my CPU, which I am looking to lower by switching media player, so that I can perform other tasks while watching video. 
Also I have to choose a video renderer in VLC that is called Windows GDI for smooth playback, but then the 720p upscaling is really bad (it becomes pixelated), and meanwhile Kodi seems to upscale 720p video just fine.

So, I am hoping you can help me with this problem so I can enjoy using Kodi instead on my old pc Smile

I really don't have the money to upgrade my PC for a year or so =/

Anyway, I also just want to say, that the settings for video sure seem limited when compared to other players. Which is probably what you aimed for, so it will be easy to use. But for example, there is no way to turn of hardware acceleration (as far as I know?) and other things that I do NOT have, which I suspect might just be the problem here...

So, questions:

1) Is there any way to disable hardware acceleration? Maybe from a command line?
2) And to choose output video renderer?

Here is my log file:
https://paste.kodi.tv/umebuqahol.kodi

Thank you in advance
Change your Settings from Standard to Expert & there are all kinds of Video settings you can play about with.
Well, that was a pants gfx card in 2005 when it came out.  Limited support in hardware for h.264 (cpu does most of it) and no VDPAU feature set.  As the log shows you trying to play h.265 (HEVC) video which your card has absolutely no support for it's left to the CPU to decode it (and run Windows & Kodi, and whatever else happens to be in your systray).  Not really surprising then that it can't render it smoothly.  You just don't have the ponies to decode hevc at 720p.

I have a machine from 2005 running Linux & Kodi v18.  It only has 1Gb of ram and an 80Gig HDD but Kodi runs fine and it can render HD content at 1080p no problem because it has a much more recent gfx card that can do it in hardware.  I very much doubt it'd play any HEVC stuff in a watchable way because the gfc card doesn't support decoding that itself and that old pentium 4 won't have the ponies to decode it.  Besides, it's only passively cooled anyway Undecided so I'd probably cook it if I tried.
(2020-07-01, 16:11)Mesmerized Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, I have tried searching for the solution to this, completely in vain =( While there are other posts, none of them resolves my issue.

This is about a fresh Kodi install of version 18.7 on a fresh copy of Windows 10 (may 2020 and June 9 updates), without having added any plugins or add ons or whatever they are called, (I am too new to this to have tried that yet) other than those that came pre installed of course.

I have tried both version 18.7 and 17.6 of Kodi, and the problem is the same in both:

The Kodi mouse pointer is very very slow and laggy, I would say around 3 pfs(!) and so are the menus, and the video playback is I would say not as bad, but it too lags a little bit, which is especially noticeable when the camera is moving. Even though the debug thing shows an fps of around 10+ fps at times, the mouse pointer is clearly updated much slower than that.

I have never experienced anything like it GUI wise on any program or video player in my history with working with PC's, dating back to 1992.

When using Kodi in WINDOWED mode, however, the mouse pointer becomes much smoother, but only if the window is small, but it still lags behind my mouse movements quite a bit =/ When using a big windowed mode, the mouse pointer is again super slow, and the video playback suffers greatly compared to full screen mode.

Even when I get it up to 56 fps in a small windowed mode there is strange lag on the mouse pointer, and the video stutters a bit too. Very unusual.

I know that you guys recommend using full screen mode, but see, I really like being able to multitask while watching series and movies =) So I would really like to resolve this problem altogether, both in full screen and windowed mode.

I also know the problem is most likely my hardware; I am using a stone age Intel Core2 Duo E6600 with 2 GB ram. Running Windows 10 May 2020 and June 9 updates. (And running it very well and smoothly, I must say.)

My graphics card is also a stone age Nvidia GeForce 6200 Turbo Cache. My motherboard is an Asus p5b deluxe.

My audio card (which is most likely not part of the problem) is an M-audio AudioPhile 2496.

Even though I am pretty sure my stone age hardware is to blame here, I have really never encountered anything like it, so I am hoping that Kodi still can run smoothly like all other apps on my PC with the help of you ppl Smile

You see, this really should not be happening, as when I am watching videos in Kodi, the cpu is about 40%, so there is no real reason for this incredibly slow behavior, and a bit stuttery/slow video playback.

VLC for example, can show me videos just fine, but the problem I have with VLC is that it consumes about 80% of my CPU, which I am looking to lower by switching media player, so that I can perform other tasks while watching video. 
Also I have to choose a video renderer in VLC that is called Windows GDI for smooth playback, but then the 720p upscaling is really bad (it becomes pixelated), and meanwhile Kodi seems to upscale 720p video just fine.

So, I am hoping you can help me with this problem so I can enjoy using Kodi instead on my old pc Smile

Anyway, I also just want to say, that the settings for video sure seem limited when compared to other players. Which is probably what you aimed for, so it will be easy to use. But for example, there is no way to turn of hardware acceleration (as far as I know?) and other things that I do NOT have, which I suspect might just be the problem here...

So, questions:

1) Is there any way to disable hardware acceleration? Maybe from a command line?

Here is my log file:

Thank you in advance
Hi,
What’s your windows refresh rate setting? 
Is this the 1st time you install Kodi on this machine?
Your CPU Intel core duo 2... pretty prehistoric.
It’s likely your CPU issue. 
With your CPU/Mobo and GPU, i don’t think you can run any 4k videos smoothly.
I can only share my experience that I was looking for those android boxes to run kodi.
None of them are able to run 4k videos, always buffering and play.
Mouse cursor is laggy, very difficult to move cursor to specific locations.
I think those cpu of the android boxes would be higher processing power than your core duo2.
(2020-07-01, 16:59)Waterbottle23 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-07-01, 16:11)Mesmerized Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, I have tried searching for the solution to this, completely in vain =( While there are other posts, none of them resolves my issue.

So, questions:

Here is my log file:

Thank you in advance
I can only share my experience that I was looking for those android boxes to run kodi.
I would think a Shield could run 4k, and most half decent android boxes running CoreELEC can also play 4k. Ugoos X2 Cube running CoreELEC will play 4k @ 60 fps no problem.
(2020-07-01, 17:30)FXB78 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-07-01, 16:59)Waterbottle23 Wrote: [ -> ]

So, questions:

Here is my log file:

Thank you in advance
I would think a Shield could run 4k, and most half decent android boxes running CoreELEC can also play 4k. Ugoos X2 Cube running CoreELEC will play 4k @ 60 fps no problem.
Shield is ok. 
I brought a 4k iso file to test on quite a few android boxes. 
All will have buffering every now and then.
@Waterbottle23

I think it's really not necessary to quote the entire (opening) post. It feels lazy plus it's annoying for others to read larger & useless blobs of text.

On this forum you can select a text portion which will give a Reply action at the left bottom of the post you are reacting to.
When you click on that, the selected text will be pasted into your "Quick Reply" text box as the quote you react to.

Clean & simple. Smile
OP, have you ever found a solution? I'm experiencing EXACTLY the same:
Quote:I have never experienced anything like it GUI wise on any program or video player in my history with working with PC's, dating back to 1992.

When using Kodi in WINDOWED mode, however, the mouse pointer becomes much smoother, but only if the window is small, but it still lags behind my mouse movements quite a bit =/ When using a big windowed mode, the mouse pointer is again super slow
J4125 8GB ram no-name SoC running windows 21H2
"Movies & TV" native app can play 4k videos, as well as mpc-be/mpc-hc/vlc/mpv
kodi.log
the pc is super fluent in general, I haven't even tried to play a video on Kodi because the mouse slugginess jerky mouse cursor movements are too annoying to even interact with the app forther
*further

I don't see a edit post button