Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Naming movies as per themoviedb.org when title contains characters illegal in Windows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I am painstakingly preparing my movie collection so it can be scraped by themoviedb scraper to give metadata in Kodi.
I am looking up the title on themoviedb.org and am using a batch script in Unix to do a mass update.
However when I view the movie files via a Samba share from Windows the names are garbled... it's because Windows doesn't like characters such as the colon (:) and the question mark (?).
If I just leave those characters out of the new movie names will they still scrape correctly or will I need to use .nfo files for all those movies?

Cheers,

Flex
Thread moved to movie scrapers.

Generally omitting the forbidden characters should be OK, but for examples where the scraper does give issues then an NFO file will correct it.
(2020-07-07, 12:54)flexmcmurphy Wrote: [ -> ]If I just leave those characters out of the new movie names will they still scrape correctly or will I need to use .nfo files for all those movies?
Omit the forbidden characters and the movies will still scrape.

When you mention NFO files, I assume you are referring to a Parsing NFO file. You wouldn't need to create a full nfo file for movies already at TheMovieDB site... https://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files#Parsing_nfo