Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: CEC on new Philips TV?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all

I installed latest LibreELEC on a RPi4 for a friend.
At first CEC was not working but somehow (switching on/off, switching HDMI, switching Easylink on/off, ...) it worked but this was very short lived.
Since it's a new TV in a new cabinet, he had to make changes to cables and stuff.

Now I cannot get CEC to function anymore, whatever I do.
Any idea how to solve this, where to look?
TIA
Rool
Cannot find an option to change my post, so this way: I forgot to mention that the RPi keeps the TV switched on, impossible to switch off.
Might this be related to the other problem?
(2020-07-08, 12:10)Rool Wrote: [ -> ]Cannot find an option to change my post,

You are experiencing the anti-spam measures that are in place for new Kodi forum users. The measures will vanish over time.

(2020-07-08, 12:10)Rool Wrote: [ -> ]I forgot to mention that the RPi keeps the TV switched on, impossible to switch off.

CEC is a difficult beast to handle, as each TV manufacturer has its own views on how to incorporate CEC. They all have a different name for CEC to begin with...
But you can try and change some settings in Kodi's GUI. Go to Settings / System / Input / Peripherals, and select your CEC adapter.

(2020-07-08, 11:53)Rool Wrote: [ -> ]Now I cannot get CEC to function anymore, whatever I do.

Perhaps turning CEC off and on again on the TV may help, as well as rebooting your RPi4.
Hi Klojum!

I think I tried all your suggestions but I'm going over right now and will have a look at it again.

Thanks!
R.
Note: some cheap hdmi cables don't connect all the wires. If CEC line is not connected it won't work.
If the cable changed between it working and not working that may explain it.

Personally I'd disconnect all hdmi cables from TV. Unplug TV from mains for a minute
(may sound surprising but that has fixed a lot of issues where TV is remembering incorrect information about the state of attached CEC devices).
Connect Pi by HDMI (ideally using the cable you'd seen work before) and then power on Pi.
It probably will work immediately, but if not try accessing the EasyLink menu and see if you can select the Pi device.

Only when it's working connect the other hdmi cables one at a time (in case another device is interfering), testing it still works after each one.
Hi popcornmix!

I followed your instructions and in 1 occasion I got that fly-out message that CEC was connected to 'TV' but Kodi was not responding to the remote...  Angry
Regarding EasyLink, it has only 2 options:
- 1 to turn EasyLink on/off
- 1 to use the remote over EasyLink to control connected devices
so not much I could do from that side.

On the RPi, I tried many options as well to reset the CEC settings to default again, but to no avail.
I also tried different HDMI ports, but for sure 1 & 2 are the same (with ARC).
What is the effect/reason to change the physical address of the HDMI port in Kodi?

Other suggestions I can try?
TIA
R.
(2020-07-09, 20:25)Rool Wrote: [ -> ]What is the effect/reason to change the physical address of the HDMI port in Kodi?

The EDID describes the HDMI port number the display is connected to.
That means kodi can send messages to it (like become active source).
Only reason to change it is if the edid is wrong (not something I've come across).
So the fact that the message appears that the CEC adapter is connected to the TV does not mean anything (whereas in other situations I did not get that message)?
In my working config that physical address is '0', that's normal/default and should be working?

Any other suggestions?
TIA
R.
(2020-07-14, 14:26)Rool Wrote: [ -> ]So the fact that the message appears that the CEC adapter is connected to the TV does not mean anything (whereas in other situations I did not get that message)?
What exactly does the message say? I think kodi shows a popup saying the CEC adaptor is connected (not necessarily the TV). But knowing the exact message would help.
(2020-07-14, 14:51)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-07-14, 14:26)Rool Wrote: [ -> ]So the fact that the message appears that the CEC adapter is connected to the TV does not mean anything (whereas in other situations I did not get that message)?
What exactly does the message say? I think kodi shows a popup saying the CEC adaptor is connected (not necessarily the TV). But knowing the exact message would help.
Sorry for getting back at you so late: it is solved and was due to the HDMI cable... Blush
The best reason for PI's to have a regular size hdmi port is the amount of bad mini-to-regular cables on the market. And how much the good ones cost. Two poor cables and then splashing out 22$ on a proper one (4k@60) in my case cost almost as much as the PI itself.