Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi won't run in Mint 20
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just completed the upgrade from Mint 19.3 to Mint 20. It was not the smoothest ever, but everything appears to be working... except Kodi. The animation shows that yes, I clicked on the icon. Then nothing happens.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Start with a debug-enabled debug log (wiki) file. You can enable debugging via the advancedsettings.xml file.
Any output when you start Kodi via a terminal session?
Personally I never upgrade a full OS, a clean install of the new version tends to avoid problems.
(2020-07-11, 05:04)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]Start with a debug-enabled debug log (wiki) file. You can enable debugging via the advancedsettings.xml file.
Personally I never upgrade a full OS, a clean install of the new version tends to avoid problems.

Running it in a Terminal session, it says Kodi Not Installed, try running sudo apt install kodi...

I would guess this means that the upgrade disabled the installation and it need to be reinstalled or at least re-enabled.
(2020-07-11, 23:16)zaivala Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-07-11, 05:04)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]Start with a debug-enabled debug log (wiki) file. You can enable debugging via the advancedsettings.xml file.

Running it in a Terminal session, it says Kodi Not Installed, try running sudo apt install kodi...

I would guess this means that the upgrade disabled the installation and it need to be reinstalled or at least re-enabled.
I ran the install, and it is back to working normally... although with the version 18.6 from the Debian repos, rather than 18.7 from the PPA.
(2020-07-11, 23:20)zaivala Wrote: [ -> ]I ran the install, and it is back to working normally... although with the version 18.6 from the Debian repos, rather than 18.7 from the PPA.
Probably because you missed fundamental steps to install Kodi from our PPA:

https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Ko...tributions

get me the content of: apt-cache policy kodi

That will tell us more.
I haven't upgraded now, but sure the ppa and attached application was removed by the upgrade process. If another member can confirm...
Question is now for personal settings ( the .kodi directory is it remaining after upgrade ? )
(2020-07-14, 11:23)enigma7 Wrote: [ -> ]I haven't upgraded now, but sure the ppa and attached application was removed by the upgrade process. If another member can confirm...

Most likely yes.  Certainly with Ubuntu, all third party PPA's are disabled on upgrade to prevent version conflicts etc.
(2020-07-14, 11:23)enigma7 Wrote: [ -> ]Question is now for personal settings ( the .kodi directory is it remaining after upgrade ? )

Yes, it should be.
But as always. A backup won't hurt:

mkdir ~/test && cp -r ~/.kodi ~/test/kodi-backup

If Kodi still looks the same after the update, then delete the backup-folder.