Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi adjustments
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi.
I have just added Kodi Leia 18.7 to my Linux Mint laptop, how do i adjust the size of the addon icons as well as the cursor pointer? 
regards
longshanks
(2020-07-11, 09:01)longshanks Wrote: [ -> ]how do i adjust the size of the addon icons
By modifying the skin
(2020-07-11, 09:01)longshanks Wrote: [ -> ]as well as the cursor pointer
By modifying the skin as well and change the icon for the mouse-pointer:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master..._arrow.png
(2020-07-11, 09:54)DaVu Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-07-11, 09:01)longshanks Wrote: [ -> ]how do i adjust the size of the addon icons
By modifying the skin
(2020-07-11, 09:01)longshanks Wrote: [ -> ]as well as the cursor pointer
By modifying the skin as well and change the icon for the mouse-pointer:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master..._arrow.png

Can you elaborate please.
The mouse-pointer is an icon. If you want to change the size of the icon, then you have to use a different one. 

One way might be to download the source of the skin in use, change the skin-name and its identity, make specific changes to that skin, put the complete content into a zip folder and install that skin as another add-on (with a different name and identity). 

If you don t know anything about skinning, then I would recommend to start reading here: https://kodi.wiki/view/Skinning

There's no setting inside Kodi where you can change the size of add-on icons or the mouse pointer using the GUI. That's all done by xml-files via "width" and "height" settings. So you have to determine which window is in use, search the matching xml file and make specific changes to specific sections. As some skins are more complex than others (and Estuary is also quiet complex) I would not recommend that skin to start learning. There are easier written skins which you can try to modify. Such as Confluence. 

I could try to point you to the right direction if you share a screenshot which section you want to change for the add-on icons.
(2020-07-12, 10:43)DaVu Wrote: [ -> ]The mouse-pointer is an icon. If you want to change the size of the icon, then you have to use a different one. 

One way might be to download the source of the skin in use, change the skin-name and its identity, make specific changes to that skin, put the complete content into a zip folder and install that skin as another add-on (with a different name and identity). 

If you don t know anything about skinning, then I would recommend to start reading here: https://kodi.wiki/view/Skinning
What a pain in the a**.
If you need to control kodi with a mouse, be aware that it's designed use case did not include this scenario at all. It's meant to run on your TV not on your desktop. Ever wondered why your Blu-ray player does not have mouse support?
(2020-07-14, 02:25)dpalmer Wrote: [ -> ]What a pain in the a**.
I never said that this is easy Wink

You asked for help and I told you how to achieve it. If it's too difficult (and I totally understand that), then either disable the mouse completely or take it as it is.
@dpalmer It's always good to receive some constructive criticism.
(2020-07-14, 21:26)DaVu Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-07-14, 02:25)dpalmer Wrote: [ -> ]What a pain in the a**.
I never said that this is easy Wink

You asked for help
Actually, he didn't - it was the other poster.

But the fact remains to do non-typical stuff with Kodi, you'll have to find some workarounds that are outside of its core functionality.  I don't have an issue with that - Kodi works pretty perfectly for what I want it to do (and what it claims to do).
Yeah - kodi was designed for a certain purpose. If you want to use it for another one, it's on you :-) fair isn't it? If you want to driver over the water with your car, don't complain to Daimler that it is not 100% water resistant from the bottom while also having a motor.
If you're a beginner then we have a wide variety of community skins in the repo to customise the look of Kodi, so pick one that most closely matches what you want. If nothing offers exactly what you want then yes you're going to have to get your hands dirty and dig into the skin xml files or change the included image files. Can identifying things to change in the skin and carry them out be a pain in the arse, then yes it can, but name one other program that has the same level of flexibility to change virtually any aspect of it's look? For the popular skins there's bound to be someone who knows what needs changing to do what you want if you ask for help on the forum as in this case. We certainly couldn't include GUI options for them all as there would be millions of settings.

On the specific subject at hand of the default point, while davu has offered one answer, there are other solutions. The easiest in my view would be to edit the pointer.xml file that contains the dimensions for the pointer images, so no need to change the image file pointer_arrow.png and if that's all you need to change then you can do it on the existing pointer.xml file in the skin.estuary/xml folder.

If you can look at the contents of pointer.xml at https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...ointer.xml

What would need adjusting are the width and height values, so for example to reduce the pointer size by 50% simply change those values to:

xml:
<width>22</width>
<height>25</height>

Make sure to do for each of the 4 control type="image" sections.