Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 3d-output & Lubuntu ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys, just a short question about 3d-possibilities of Kodi under Lubuntu.
My configuration looks like the following:

ASRock J5005-ITX with Intel Pentium Silver J5005 and UHD Graphics 605
Lubuntu 20.04
Kodi 18.7
Projector Panasonic pt at6000 (3d-ready)

I try to playback a half-SBS-mkv, but do not succeed in getting a proper frame-packing-signal. When i choose "hardware-based" output i get a perfect picture, but 2d... Huh
As far as i understand the Kodi-Wiki, there are no problems with frame-packing in Windows. In Linux it needs an additional driver "InTru 3D" - is that true? This special driver seems to be hard to find?
So my question is: Is there a basic problem with Linux and frame-packing-signals or do i miss something here?

PS:
I already have the possibility to playback the SBS-mkv's (even MVC's...) with my stoneaged Mede8er 600, but the menus etc. are VERY restricted compared to Kodi. Big Grin
(2020-07-17, 17:17)contadino Wrote: [ -> ]So my question is: Is there a basic problem with Linux and frame-packing-signals or do i miss something here?

3D in general is on a sliding slope as far as popularity goes, lots of new TVs no longer support it.
I also have a J5005 running Ubuntu 20.04, but I'll probably have to dig deep to find a 3D movie in my collection.

Maybe I can do some testing during the weekend.
Thanks a lot for your VERY fast reply Klojum!!
So the hope stays alive, that a solution for this problem can be found... Smile
(2020-07-17, 17:34)contadino Wrote: [ -> ]So the hope stays alive, that a solution for this problem can be found

Don't get your hopes up too high yet... I'm not part of the developer team.
Okay... Sooner than later: Good news and a little bit of bad news.

Good news: 3D works with SBS on the J5005 running Ubuntu 20.04. I had to do some settings first for the USB-CEC adapter, but works now as well.
Bad news: I still have to put the (old) LG TV into 3D-mode manually. This is not very surprising, as only the Raspberry boxes were able to do this from the beginning. Apart from that minor inconveniece, 3D is quite watchable.

So, in theory, Lubuntu should work as well.
Thanks a lot for your information!
But grey is all theory... Confused
On my Panasonic there is no button to manually activate 3d. I can only switch between the modi: Auto, SBS and TAB. With SBS or TAB turned on, the projector creates a 3d-picture from the corresponding source-material. "Auto" should show a frame-packing signal automatical in 3d, but in my case just shows only 2d.
So it looks like bad luck for me.

Hard to beliefe, that it is that difficult to generate the 3d-trigger-signal. One would think, that 3d has been long enough in the HDMI specifications?!
But nethertheless, thanks a lot for your effort!
You could submit a 'bug' report to the Kodi Bug Tracker.
Perhaps it can be somehow fixed in v19.
OK,
thanks for your input!
Yesterday i created this failure-log:
LOG
I will try to create a bug-report with this. Mybe somebody is interested in it. Huh

PS:
If somebody is interested:
bug-report
Well, according to the answer in the bug-report, there is no driver for frame-packing in Linux.
It seems, the developers have forgotten to implement this HDMI-standard?! Confused
But to be honest, i don't fully understand, what the Kodi-dev wants to tell me in the bug report.

@Klojum
Interestingly enough, that you manage to get a proper frame-packing-signal in Linux-Kodi. According to the Kodi-dev this should not work out.
Really don't know, why there is so much uncertainty about this whole frame-packing thing!
I tried a SBS 3D video first, I'll have a go with a TAB video tomorrow.
(2020-07-28, 21:06)contadino Wrote: [ -> ]Really don't know, why there is so much uncertainty about this whole frame-packing thing!

There is no uncertainty. It is not supported. Xrandr has no way of setting a 3D frame packing mode. The Linux kernel driver implements the fields for it, but X11 userspace does not. There is no API to set the 3D mode.
+1

contadino: read again, Klojum had to trigger 3D manually.

The only Linux based devices which are capable of frame packing (+MVC) are Raspberry Pi's 1-3.

In the end, I doubt that there will be much development in this area. UHD/HDR is all the rage now.
Ok,
think i got the message. Tongue
The only way to playback 3d in Linux (without Rasberry) is to playback the HalfSBS (TAB) file as it is and tell the outputdevice to create a 3d-picture from the incoming 2d-signal. And for this it is, of course, necessary to trigger the 3d process at the projector.
So in the end Linux/Kodi doesn't help with anything to get a 3d picture. Right?

So last question:
Do you think it is useful to give Wayland a chance instead of X11?

Big thanks to all of you! Everythings clear now... Smile
(2020-07-29, 04:21)sarbes Wrote: [ -> ]Klojum had to trigger 3D manually.

One strange thing: I have noticed that Kodi activates the "3D selection/confirmation interface" with a SBS video, but it doesn't do that with a TAB video. Kodi simply started the 3D TAB video.

This was with v18.7, I take it will be the same with 18.8 (I'll verify it later on).