Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Bit of (quick) advice?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If anyone could please comment on this I would be grateful.

I have a 2015 Shield and have recently purchased an LGC9

I've been playing with both the Kodi settings and the shield settings (whilst scouring these forums) to see whats the best setup. In the "INFO" menu on the C9 it will show me the display settings of whatever content i'm playing.

I think I've got this right but want to confirm.

I've set Kodi to 1080p and whitelisted all the resolutions to allow the switching.

If i set the shield to 4K 59.4 am i right in saying the shield is doing the up-scaling? If i check the info section on the c9 it always shows 2160 no matter what content is playing so i think that's right.

Where i'm a little confused is I think i'd like the TV to handle the up-scaling as its newer tech, so I set the Shield to 1080p (120hz is avail) with a view to changing it back 4k viewing.

when i play 1080p content the info tab shows 1080p which i think is expected as thats the signal being sent from the shield and the TV is up-scaling afterwards.. i'm ok with this...

Where i'm confused is despite the shield being set to 1080p if I play 4k content (including HDR) the info panel shows 2160 (and HDR if that's playing) how can this be if i've set the shield to be max 1080p 120Hz?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
(2020-07-25, 12:08)stret Wrote: [ -> ]Where i'm confused is despite the shield being set to 1080p if I play 4k content (including HDR) the info panel shows 2160 (and HDR if that's playing) how can this be if i've set the shield to be max 1080p 120Hz?
1080p is the GUI Resolution, 4k content will always be played at it's native resolution regardless of what is set as the resolution in the UI. 1080p content will be as you said upscaled by the TV in this scenario.
(2020-07-25, 13:30)FXB78 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-07-25, 12:08)stret Wrote: [ -> ]Where i'm confused is despite the shield being set to 1080p if I play 4k content (including HDR) the info panel shows 2160 (and HDR if that's playing) how can this be if i've set the shield to be max 1080p 120Hz?
1080p is the GUI Resolution, 4k content will always be played at it's native resolution regardless of what is set as the resolution in the UI. 1080p content will be as you said upscaled by the TV in this scenario.

Understood.

So setting the shield to 1080p 120Hz and playing a 4k HDR film will always mean its played in native 4k HDR....

Thank you for your response