Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Issues adding gif files artwork without an additional add-on in Matrix
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm in Matrix nightlies trying to add extended artwork from local information only, with the advancedsetting method. My advancedsetting.xml contains this:

xml:

<movieextraart>
      <arttype>fanart1</arttype>
      <arttype>fanart2</arttype>
      <arttype>fanart3</arttype>
      <arttype>fanart4</arttype>
      <arttype>fanart5</arttype>
      <arttype>fanart6</arttype>
      <arttype>fanart7</arttype>
      <arttype>fanart8</arttype>
      <arttype>fanart9</arttype>
      <arttype>characterart</arttype>
      <arttype>characterart1</arttype>
      <arttype>characterart2</arttype>
      <arttype>characterart3</arttype>
      <arttype>characterart4</arttype>
      <arttype>characterart5</arttype>
      <arttype>characterart6</arttype>
      <arttype>characterart7</arttype>
      <arttype>characterart8</arttype>
      <arttype>characterart9</arttype>
      <arttype>poster1</arttype>
      <arttype>poster2</arttype>
      <arttype>poster3</arttype>
      <arttype>poster4</arttype>
      <arttype>poster5</arttype>
      <arttype>poster6</arttype>
      <arttype>poster7</arttype>
      <arttype>poster8</arttype>
      <arttype>poster9</arttype>
      <arttype>poster10</arttype>
      <arttype>animatedposter</arttype>
      <arttype>banner</arttype>
      <arttype>back</arttype>
      <arttype>spine</arttype>
      <arttype>clearart</arttype>
      <arttype>clearlogo</arttype>
      <arttype>discart</arttype>
      <arttype>landscape</arttype>
      <arttype>keyart</arttype>
    </movieextraart>

All of them get added except animatedposter. They're of course gif files, and they do show when I add them manually in Kodi, one by one. Is it impossible for now to add gif files through this method? I also tried with  <arttype>animatedposter.gif</arttype> but to no avail... 

Thanks!
Were you able to auto add animated posters using Leia?  I've always had to add them one by one manually no matter the build and it's time consuming and requires the user to remember which titles have them and which don't.  However, I did use a custom skin for a time that had a "Prefer Animated Poster" setting that applied every single one of them automatically if they were local.  The skin I'm using now doesn't and the author apparently doesn't want to tackle adding the code to implement them.  I too have been using <arttype>animatedposter</arttype> in my advancedsetting.xml since its inception and it does nothing.
(2020-07-26, 16:40)brazen1 Wrote: [ -> ]Were you able to auto add animated posters using Leia?  I've always had to add them one by one manually no matter the build and it's time consuming and requires the user to remember which titles have them and which don't.  However, I did use a custom skin for a time that had a "Prefer Animated Poster" setting that applied every single one of them automatically if they were local.  The skin I'm using now doesn't and the author apparently doesn't want to tackle adding the code to implement them.  I too have been using <arttype>animatedposter</arttype> in my advancedsetting.xml since its inception and it does nothing.
I just gave it for granted that under Leia it worked, but now that you say that, I remembered that I had to use Artwork Beef addon to get them added, since it has an option to add just local artwork... unfortunately there's no Matrix version of Artwork Beef, but if you're still with Leia I think that you coul use it to add animated posters automatically...

If we are still in time to make requests for Matrix, this would be mine... Wink
I'm already using Artwork Beef with Leia.  I'm not aware of any setting in it to auto add animated posters?  What it (did) was to scrape animated posters but the site it scraped from has been abandoned.  Even then, once scraped, you had to add them manually even though they downloaded into the title folder where every other artwork lives and is applied.
Maybe @rmrector might know why
I would assume because poster.jpg is always going to take precedence and be the default.  You can't have both without an option in a skin or somewhere else to tell the library to default to animatedposter.gif in place of poster.jpg.  Titan skin used to do it when I used it.  You can see the switch right in the middle of the options.  I miss this feature using the skin I've migrated to.

This is Artwork Beef options in Leia...

I think that if you select those two options, your animatedposter.gif will be added to the database... after that you'll obviously also need a skin that display them...
Animatedposter - no web service I do have enabled already.
Your first picture with setting to only use local files is no good for me.  I use artwork beef to get the files in the first place but thanks for the suggestion anyway.
(2020-07-26, 14:09)manfeed Wrote: [ -> ]All of them get added except animatedposter. They're of course gif files, and they do show when I add them manually in Kodi, one by one.
I understood this to mean that the animatedposter was not being cached when using <animatedposter> tag, which is a different issue to what artwork skins have been coded to display.
(2020-07-26, 23:44)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-07-26, 14:09)manfeed Wrote: [ -> ]All of them get added except animatedposter. They're of course gif files, and they do show when I add them manually in Kodi, one by one.
I understood this to mean that the animatedposter was not being cached when using <animatedposter> tag, which is a different issue to what artwork skins have been coded to display.
You understood right. Aeon Tajo has the option to display animatedposter, both in Leia and Matrix, so that's not the problem.

- I have animatedposter.gif in some movie folders.
- I don't scrape artwork, all my artwork is local.
- In Leia and Matrix, advancedsetting method doesn't work for animatedposter.gif
- In Leia, thanks to Artwork Beef options, you can add all of your animatedposter.gif to the database automatically.
- In Matrix, Artwork Beef is not available, so you're left to your own devices, only option it's adding animatedposters one by one manually... that's the issue.
There is an in-progress PR that will pick up .gif files that match the whitelist. It won't be in alpha 1.
Great, thanks @rmrector

Will that PR also fix the issue where animated does not work across networks?
Nope. https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/18072, mostly unrelated to animated artwork, it just happens to expand file extension filter to match the music library.
Forgive me.  What does "pick up .gif files that match the whitelist" mean?
whitelist = the <artworktype> tags in your advancedsettings.xml
pick up = Kodi scanning your folder containing the artwork files, comparing the artwork to the whitelist and when it matches it, caches the image.