Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Comic Book Library
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi I have MQ8 on Win7 pc.I want to set up a Comic Book library but I don't know how to.
Can kodi handle .cbr files or do I have to run a program from kodi.
I would like it so that when you click on Comics in main menu you would then have list (or icon) for subject eg. Spiderman , Superman.
When you click that it would display the front covers.
Also  is there a meta data scraper that would add more info and backgronds.
How do the files have to be named.
(2020-08-02, 16:40)aceuk Wrote: [ -> ]Can kodi handle .cbr files or do I have to run a program from kodi.

As per Kodi's wiki:

Code:
XBMC/Kodi handles all common digital picture/image formats with the options of panning/zooming and slideshow with "Ken Burns Effect", with the use of CxImage open source library code. XBMC/Kodi can also handle CBZ (ZIP) and CBR (RAR) comic book archive files, this feature lets users view/read, browse and zoom the pictures of comics pages these contain without uncompressing them first. Viewing CBR files in Kodi 18 Leia for Windows and upwards will require you to install the RAR Support add-on.
(2020-08-02, 16:58)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-08-02, 16:40)aceuk Wrote: [ -> ]Can kodi handle .cbr files or do I have to run a program from kodi.

As per Kodi's wiki:

Code:
XBMC/Kodi handles all common digital picture/image formats with the options of panning/zooming and slideshow with "Ken Burns Effect", with the use of CxImage open source library code. XBMC/Kodi can also handle CBZ (ZIP) and CBR (RAR) comic book archive files, this feature lets users view/read, browse and zoom the pictures of comics pages these contain without uncompressing them first. Viewing CBR files in Kodi 18 Leia for Windows and upwards will require you to install the RAR Support add-on.
I installed RAR archive support and no files show up only empty folders
Did you restart kodi ?

It works

You have just too add your EBOOK directory as a new pictures source
I was gonna tell you to have a look at the Kodi wiki for info on how to add the .cbr extension via the advancedsettings.xml file,
but apparently someone had one big brainfart and deleted/moved the page.... Stare
(2020-08-02, 17:57)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]I was gonna tell you to have a look at the Kodi wiki for info on how to add the .cbr extension via the advancedsettings.xml file,
but apparently someone had one big brainfart and deleted/moved the page.... Stare
I did'not need to modify any kodi file.

Only rar add-on, restart kodi and adding EBOOK source in pictures menu

But for my test, inside cbz file, was jpg files.
No display for pdf file for now.
Yeah, I don't see .pdf support coming anytime soon for that matter.
Okay I restarted kodi  and now I can see some files.
How do I get the thumb to be the cover of comic as it is several images (small)
How do you get the comic to display full screen and turn pages at the moment I'm on Right List view and have a small pic where the thumb image is and a file for each page.
(2020-08-02, 19:15)aceuk Wrote: [ -> ]How do I get the thumb to be the cover of comic as it is several images (small)

I was asking myself the same question.
Folder.jpg doesn't work.
(2020-08-02, 19:15)aceuk Wrote: [ -> ]How do you get the comic to display full screen and turn pages

I use Yatse (Android) with my Phone and it is very easy.
You have left and right arrows and button in the middle allows to commut from Gallery to full screen.