Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Artwork issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just moved from version 16.x to 18.8. A couple hours after I upgraded Kodi informed me that my thumbnail cache was too large, and asked me if I wanted to delete it (sorry I am not 100% sure it said thumbnail cache, but that's what I think I remember). At first I said no. Until after every Kodi restart it asked that question again. So realizing it wasn't going to quit asking, I looked up on Google what that meant and what to do about it. And while I didn't really understand any of the explanations, I at least did realize that deleting my thumbnail cache was going to delete all of my artwork. Which I had spent years collecting the exact artwork I wanted, so I didn't want that.

So I googled what to do about it and I did find one sort of helpful article from howtogeek.com which explained how to store your Kodi artwork in the same folder as your videos. So I followed this article. Feeling as though I had the problem solved I then agreed to delete the thumbnail cache. And upon restarting Kodi, everything seemed to be going as planned, only for some reason Kodi didn't reload most of the artwork. I did go check the folders and they all do have an .nfo file and artwork files. But for some reason Kodi isn't loading the local files. Is there a setting with 18.8 I have to set to use local? Or what can I do about it.

Sorry if this question has been asked, I tried to search for help with nfo but I guess you can't for words that are less than 4 characters long? I also checked your FAQ to see if there was an answer there, and that page is currently down to be rewritten?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really have exhausted my limited knowledge to the point where I really don't even know what I would do a google search for.
(2020-08-07, 01:39)Dabil Wrote: [ -> ]A couple hours after I upgraded Kodi informed me that my thumbnail cache was too large, and asked me if I wanted to delete it
There is no function in Kodi that would display a message like that. Are you sure you are using Kodi? Maybe you have a fork or Build installed.

A Debug Log might help.
(2020-08-07, 02:11)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-08-07, 01:39)Dabil Wrote: [ -> ]A couple hours after I upgraded Kodi informed me that my thumbnail cache was too large, and asked me if I wanted to delete it
There is no function in Kodi that would display a message like that. Are you sure you are using Kodi? Maybe you have a fork or Build installed.

A Debug Log might help.
I am pretty sure I am using Kodi, mostly for the following reasons:
1) I downloaded the official 18.8 software installer for windows from the Kodi.tv website
2) It says in giant letters on the upper left hand part of the screen "Kodi"
3) The icon I click to start it is the official blue and white diamond and when I hover over it, it says "Kodi".

There absolutely is a message like that in the official Kodi build. But you will only see it if you have a decent size local library. I started getting that message years ago and have been slowly increasing the cache size in the settings.xml to compensate it. The message is triggered by the following line in settings.xml
Quote:        <setting id="filesizethumb_alert" type="slider" label="Max Folder Size MB" default="2000" range="100,50,1500" option="int" />
As you can see I have the default set as 2000 MB (ie 2GB). You can see what the message looks like here: filesizethumb_alert message

So I am just wondering why the .nfo files are not being read to load the artwork I have selected. I am assuming this is a bug? Or is it a new feature that needs to be enabled. All the descriptions I have read about the way Kodi scrapes for artwork says that if a nfo file is present in the media directory where the movie is at, then it will select that and load the local artwork for that movie. However I can't seem to get it to work. I have updated all the addons I have including the scraper addons just to make sure to eliminate using old outdated addons as a possible problem. Unless of course the scraper addon is not currently up to date with Kodi 18.8? Maybe I will try reverting to an older version of Kodi and see if that helps.
Ok, you are using Kodi, but I must admit I have never, ever seen that setting.

Which setting.xml file did you get that from? Kodi does not use a "settings.xml", but addons do. I don't even know why you would need it as you are on Windows with, presumably, a good sized hard drive.

As for your question, you did not explain which artwork was not loaded, but I guess it is the Extended artwork like discart, clearlogo, clearart etc, but your poster and fanart are fine. If that is the case, then you need to add code to your advancedsettings.xml file to automatically scan that artwork. See code in section 1... https://kodi.wiki/view/Movie_artwork Also needs to be done for TV Shows.
(2020-08-07, 05:19)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, you are using Kodi, but I must admit I have never, ever seen that setting.

Which setting.xml file did you get that from? Kodi does not use a "settings.xml", but addons do. I don't even know why you would need it as you are on Windows with, presumably, a good sized hard drive.

As for your question, you did not explain which artwork was not loaded, but I guess it is the Extended artwork like discart, clearlogo, clearart etc, but your poster and fanart are fine. If that is the case, then you need to add code to your advancedsettings.xml file to automatically scan that artwork. See code in section 1... https://kodi.wiki/view/Movie_artwork Also needs to be done for TV Shows.

No the artwork that is not loading is the poster and fanart. Which of course are the most important pieces of artwork.

hmmm. You bring up an interesting point about the setting.xml file. I wasn't aware that Kodi didn't have a settings.xml or that that file was from an addon. After researching that setting I see that the settings.xml in question is from C:\Users\TUF\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\plugin.program.Gorillawizard\resources

I am not sure what that addon would be for. I remember when I first got into Kodi years ago a friend loaded a Gorilla skin which made it look really nice. Maybe that has something to do with that? That was probably way back in Kodi 13 or 14 maybe. Looking through my addons I seem to have a ton of them, not sure what even 90% of them are for. I just assume most of these addons are for services that run in the background? The only addon I can think of that I actually installed was "The Movie Database". I use that to scrape for movie data and populate the poster and fanart, or at least I think I do. But other than that, I don't actively use any addons. I don't stream or watch live tv, or have weather apps or anything like that. The only thing I really do with Kodi is use it to play my local movie and tv shows which are kept in media files on my hard drive(s). I have 12 TB of hard drive space for local media so yeah I have an above average amount of secondary storage I would say.   Any ideas?
(2020-08-07, 05:51)Dabil Wrote: [ -> ]I am not sure what that addon would be for. I remember when I first got into Kodi years ago a friend loaded a Gorilla skin which made it look really nice. Maybe that has something to do with that? That was probably way back in Kodi 13 or 14 maybe. Looking through my addons I seem to have a ton of them, not sure what even 90% of them are for. I just assume most of these addons are for services that run in the background?
Yep, certainly sounds like you have a lot of junk installed that is most likely banned from this forum and not supported by us. It is one of the reasons we ask people not install those Builds/Repos/Addons. In your case it has led you astray and made you do things to Kodi that were absolutely not required.

The best advice I can give you is to wipe Kodi. Uninstall the program and delete the Kodi data folder. See here... https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Ko...lling_Kodi

Install Kodi fresh and try again. Remeber to also add the advancedsettings entries I mentioned above.

(2020-08-07, 05:51)Dabil Wrote: [ -> ]I use that to scrape for movie data and populate the poster and fanart, or at least I think I do.
I am certain you do.
(2020-08-07, 06:13)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-08-07, 05:51)Dabil Wrote: [ -> ]I am not sure what that addon would be for. I remember when I first got into Kodi years ago a friend loaded a Gorilla skin which made it look really nice. Maybe that has something to do with that? That was probably way back in Kodi 13 or 14 maybe. Looking through my addons I seem to have a ton of them, not sure what even 90% of them are for. I just assume most of these addons are for services that run in the background?
Yep, certainly sounds like you have a lot of junk installed that is most likely banned from this forum and not supported by us. It is one of the reasons we ask people not install those Builds/Repos/Addons. In your case it has led you astray and made you do things to Kodi that were absolutely not required.

The best advice I can give you is to wipe Kodi. Uninstall the program and delete the Kodi data folder. See here... https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Ko...lling_Kodi

Install Kodi fresh and try again. Remeber to also add the advancedsettings entries I mentioned above.
(2020-08-07, 05:51)Dabil Wrote: [ -> ]I use that to scrape for movie data and populate the poster and fanart, or at least I think I do.
I am certain you do.
Thank you, thank you!

Yes following that wiki to uninstalling Kodi and the data folder you were talking about worked great at getting all the poster art and fanart to load. I had to go back and re-set all my media folder locations, and it had to recreate the movie database, but then the artwork populated in right away. 

But now the Kore remote isn't working anymore on any of our families cell phones. But I am hoping that is just a configuration issue since all the settings got deleted. When I get some time tomorrow or Saturday I will do a google search to see if I can figure that out. Hopefully that will be an easy fix. I only messed with the new Kodi for a few minutes given I am on the east coast and its very late. Hopefully there isn't anything else that is going to need set. I set all the settings they way I liked them years ago, and haven't had to do much with the settings really in years. Every new version of Kodi just used the old settings.

But hey, we have artwork again. So for that I thank you very much.
So just to update. Spent a few hours figuring out the remote control issue. As it turns out it was being blocked by my firewall. I use Eset Internet Protection, so I had to go in and unblock the phones as a source and then unblock Kodi ports as destination and viola that started working. Only minor issues from there. I wish there was an easy way I could restore what foreign language sub-titles each movie used. The only way I know is to turn on subs and select them for each movie individually. But other than that things are even better than they were before. Kodi is way more responsive now.

One thing I have a question about, on this fresh install I went to the addons tab, it doesn't look like I am using a single addon. Is that right? Before I had tons of addons, not that I knew what they did, but now there is none. So Kodi doesn't need any addons at all to function? I mean surely there is some addon I need or that would make Kodi better isn't there? And by addons, I am only talking about legit addons. I don't want to add any illegal addons.

Anyway, thanks again Karellen for your help. I would mark this solved, but I don't see how to do that.
(2020-08-10, 03:50)Dabil Wrote: [ -> ]I wish there was an easy way I could restore what foreign language sub-titles each movie used. The only way I know is to turn on subs and select them for each movie individually.
That is the only way I know of also.

(2020-08-10, 03:50)Dabil Wrote: [ -> ]But other than that things are even better than they were before. Kodi is way more responsive now.
Great to hear. Yep, some of those addons are very resource hungry, and if you had a lot installed, it can slow Kodi down.

(2020-08-10, 03:50)Dabil Wrote: [ -> ]One thing I have a question about, on this fresh install I went to the addons tab, it doesn't look like I am using a single addon
There are some system addons in use which are shipped by default with Kodi. You can find them in Settings>System>Add-ons then choose Manage dependencies and also Running which will both show addons currently in use.

(2020-08-10, 03:50)Dabil Wrote: [ -> ]I mean surely there is some addon I need or that would make Kodi better isn't there?
There sure are, but it depends on your usage and preferences. As an example I have the following installed...
Light IMDB for updating ratings of movies and tv shows... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=316342
ARtwork Beef... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=258886
CU LRC Lyrics... from the kodi repo and used to display lyrics while paying music
manageTags... to quickly apply a tag to a movie or tv show
Metadata Editor... to edit library data like plot, genres, studio etc found in kodi repo... Settings>Add-ons>Install from repository>Program add-ons>Metadata Editor

(2020-08-10, 03:50)Dabil Wrote: [ -> ]Anyway, thanks again Karellen for your help. I would mark this solved, but I don't see how to do that.
You are welcome. Your account is too new so some functions and privileges are not available to you yet, so I will mark it solved for you. But feel free to continue posting in the thread.
Thread marked solved.