Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Correct Audio Settings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys, I'm using CoreELEC as my media player (Mini M8S ii) and it's connected to Denon AVR S510BT. I'm using a 3.1 audio setup.
My question is, What is the right audio settings I must be using to get the best audio quality from these speakers? (To get HD Audio passthrough) I tried searching but I couldn't get a clear answer.
Is it 2.0 or 3.1 or as stated on CoreELEC forums 7.1?
Thank you in advance for your help..

@wrxtasy hope to hear from you too [emoji4]
(2020-08-10, 02:33)Nimasha Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys, I'm using CoreELEC as my media player (Mini M8S ii) and it's connected to Denon AVR S510BT. I'm using a 3.1 audio setup.
My question is, What is the right audio settings I must be using to get the best audio quality from these speakers? (To get HD Audio passthrough) I tried searching but I couldn't get a clear answer.
Is it 2.0 or 3.1 or as stated on CoreELEC forums 7.1?
Thank you in advance for your help..

HD Audio passthrough is independent of the 2.0/3.1 speaker setting in Kodi, as HD Audio passthrough will just 'pass through' the bitstream untouched for your Denon AVR to handle the processing.  You need to ensure you've enabled passthrough AND enabled the codecs your Denon supports to be passed-through.

The speaker/channel settings are for use cases where Kodi decodes multichannel audio codecs like FLAC, AAC etc. (or plays back PCM) multichannel content to PCM multichannel and Kodi needs to know how to handle this.  It also comes into play when your AVR or TV doesn't support HD Audio codecs, and Kodi has to decode DTS HD MA/HRA or Dolby True HD to PCM 2.0/5.1/7.1 etc.
This wiki page is quite helpful.
Thank you very much guys.
(2020-08-10, 02:33)Nimasha Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys, I'm using CoreELEC as my media player (Mini M8S ii) and it's connected to Denon AVR S510BT. I'm using a 3.1 audio setup.

Hi,
In CE Kodi audio settings select:

Audio Output device = HDMI Multi Ch PCM
Number of Channels = 3.1

Allow Passthrough = Enable
Passthrough Output Device = AUGESOUND, HDMI

Than select whatever Audio codecs your AVR supports (Set - Advanced - Bottom Left of screen to reveal more)

That way audio codecs that are able to be passed though to AVR will be eg, AC3/DD, DTS, DD+ etc.

AAC or FLAC audio will be decoded to Multichannel LPCM and output as 3.1 automatically as well.

If your AVR does not support HD audio the lossy Core audio components of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA will be output as DD or DTS.

Smile
(2020-08-11, 09:07)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]

Hi,
In CE Kodi audio settings select:

Audio Output device = HDMI Multi Ch PCM
Number of Channels = 3.1

Allow Passthrough = Enable
Passthrough Output Device = AUGESOUND, HDMI

Than select whatever Audio codecs your AVR supports (Set - Advanced - Bottom Left of screen to reveal more)

That way audio codecs that are able to be passed though to AVR will be eg, AC3/DD, DTS, DD+ etc.

AAC or FLAC audio will be decoded to Multichannel LPCM and output as 3.1 automatically as well.

If your AVR does not support HD audio the lossy Core audio components of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA will be output as DD or DTS.

Smile
Thank you very much mate! I'll try and trouble you if I encounter any problems [emoji106]