Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Personal Channel Groups
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have several KODI boxes that all look to my NAS for their databases.  I've added a personal channel group to my IPTV on my one KODI box, but they don't show up automatically on the other KODI boxes so my added personal channel group must not get stored in the TV#.db file.  I've looked under addons and addon_data directories as well and cannot find where KODI is storing my personal channel group entries.  Can someone point me in the right direction as to where KODI stores these?  I don't want to have to recreate my entire list of channels in my personal group for every KODI box I have.
These should be stored in the DB like any other group I think.

Can you check with DB Browser for SQLIte or similar to see if the custom group is stored there?

Or are you using MySQL to store the DBs?
(2020-08-16, 12:12)phunkyfish Wrote: [ -> ]These should be stored in the DB like any other group I think.

Can you check with DB Browser for SQLIte or similar to see if the custom group is stored there?

Or are you using MySQL to store the DBs?

Yes, I'm using similar to MySQL on a Synology NAS Station.  Videos and Music databases are currently shared to multiple KODI boxes and work flawlessly.  So did some more research and playing around today.  Good news & bad news.  Good news is that I realized I needed to add <tvdatabase> tag information to the advancedsettings.xml file even though https://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml wepage says that "using <tvdatabase> is highly experimental/unstable and no practical benefit for most users. Avoid using."  Adding the tag allowed KODI to re-create the database file over on my NAS instead of using the local file.  Perfect!  I can even manually enter a group name in my database under TV32 on the NAS server and all KODI boxes see it just fine.  Bad news is KODI doesn't appear to write the new personal group that I add to the database from the KODI interface itself so when I restart KODI, the personal group that I added is gone.  I actually opened up the TV32 database on my NAS Station and can confirm it never creates the personal group.  I had a similar problem initially using the local TV32 file until I turned off "Synchronise channel groups with backend(s)" under PVR Settings.  I believe this setting was removing my personal group every time I restarted KODI because it didn't reside at the backend.  After turning this setting off, everything worked fine locally, and KODI would not erase my personal group on startup.  The setting is still off but now making the change to redirect KODI to use TV32 file on my NAS instead of locally seems to change how it behaves as it's not remembering my personal group.  Seems taking the <tvdatabase> tag out of advancedsettings.xml and using the local TV32 file allows KODI to retain my personal group just fine.  My only option right now is to go back to updating the TV32 file locally again and when I get the personal group the way I want, manually copy the TV32 file over to all of the other KODI boxes.  I guess I'm left scratching my head on this one.  Is this a bug of some kind, or am I missing something obvious?
This feels like a bug to me. I can't see why a custom group would not be created like any other group. Although that may also be why it is noted as experimental.

Let me clarify something with you. Are you saying that a custom group is not persisted anywhere when you use the <tvdatabase> tag? But if you don't use the <tvdatabase> tag it works in a local TV32.db?

What's annoying me is that why it would work locally but not remotely. Although that may also be why it is noted as experimental.

Last question, and this one will be more work to figure out. Have you tried this on the latest Matrix alpha build? As Kodi 18 has had its final release it probably makes sense to verify, reproduce and fix this on Kodi 19. I have not used mysql before but if you can provide detailed set up instructions I can try to do so if you find no solution in v18.
(2020-08-18, 10:13)phunkyfish Wrote: [ -> ]This feels like a bug to me. I can't see why a custom group would not be created like any other group. Although that may also be why it is noted as experimental.

Let me clarify something with you. Are you saying that a custom group is not persisted anywhere when you use the <tvdatabase> tag? But if you don't use the <tvdatabase> tag it works in a local TV32.db?

What's annoying me is that why it would work locally but not remotely. Although that may also be why it is noted as experimental.

Last question, and this one will be more work to figure out. Have you tried this on the latest Matrix alpha build? As Kodi 18 has had its final release it probably makes sense to verify, reproduce and fix this on Kodi 19. I have not used mysql before but if you can provide detailed set up instructions I can try to do so if you find no solution in v18.
Yes, exactly.  Not persisted when I use the <tvdatabase> tag but works as expected when I use the local TV32.db.  That's what makes me scratch my head.  I would think it would work exactly the same way.  I'm questioning whether it's still writing the custom group locally while using the <tvdatdabse> tag while the backend items work as they should.  I have not tried this with any alpha builds.  I'm on 18.

I still have the link to the setup instructions I used many years ago to get the NAS set up.  I'm sure there are newer guides out there but this is the one I used to set mine up:
https://web.archive.org/web/201603290539...-for-xbmc/

I'm curious to see how things work on your box.
Can you check the local SQL lite file to see if it’s writing it locally?

From the code I’m not seeing seeing where an exception is being made for MySQL vs SQLite.