Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi used as a digital picture frame - How to extend image staytime to more than 100s
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everybody,

I've build a nice Digital Pictureframe based on a RASPI4.
I've started with framen.io. I don't like it because it stores images on cloud and have no blending

So I tried it with KODI.
It's very nice but why it's impossible to show images longer than 100 seconds?

It's impossible to edit the settings.xml (read only) for tweaking the slideshow.staytime value on a Linux Installation

It can be done easily and without any problems on a windows 10 installation. Simply edit the settings.xml and set 600 seconds for example.

Is there any chance to increase this 100 sec. value to 300 sec. for example?

With 100 sec. it's absolutely useless for me :-(

At the moment the picture frame runs with raspbian and pi3d.
That's very cool, but I have no webinterface for complete control (Show special images, skip an image,...)

So I think KODI will be the best but 100 sec. staytime is a  crap.

I hope there is a (simple) solution for  this issue?!

Thx in advance

Martin
Can't you just copy the modified settings.xml onto your RPi? I know you say it's read-only but there must be a way to change the permissions.
(2020-08-18, 14:26)FXB78 Wrote: [ -> ]Can't you just copy the modified settings.xml onto your RPi? I know you say it's read-only but there must be a way to change the permissions.

As I know there is no way to do that...
I've searched for hours but found no solution.
On Windows 10 it's very simple.
You'll need to say what distribution you are using to get any help.
(2020-08-18, 14:49)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]You'll need to say what distribution you are using to get any help.

I use the latest xbian image with kodi. But I think that's the same problem on all Linux Kodi distributions.
If you are going to use linux I suggest you learn some basics first.
The file /usr/share/kodi/system/settings/settings.xml is NOT read only on xbian.
Your user doesn't have the permissions to write to it but that is different to read-only.
You need to use sudo (research what is sudo and what it does) in order to edit system files.
Login via ssh and sudo nano /usr/share/kodi/system/settings/settings.xml it may ask for a password which is the same as your user's password.
(2020-08-18, 14:57)Ksm67 Wrote: [ -> ]But I think that's the same problem on all Linux Kodi distributions.
A bold statement ... but a very wrong one.
It's not a "problem" it's the way most linux distros work, you can't edit system files as a simple user. Period. You need to become root (superuser, administrator) in order to do that, yes, that's what sudo does.

Can you edit "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts" without running your text editor as Administrator on any recent enough windows? Same logic applies here, simple users can't touch system files.
(2020-08-18, 17:02)asavah Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-08-18, 14:57)Ksm67 Wrote: [ -> ]Thank'S to all. I'll try itBut I think that's the same problem on all Linux Kodi distributions.
It's not a "problem" it's the way most linux distros work, you can't edit system files as a simple user. Period. You need to become root (superuser, administrator) in order to do that, yes, that's what sudo does.

Can you edit "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts" without running your text editor as Administrator on any recent enough windows? Same logic applies here, simple users can't touch system files.
Thanks to all. I'll try it :-)
(2020-08-18, 17:21)Ksm67 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-08-18, 17:02)asavah Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-08-18, 14:57)Ksm67 Wrote: [ -> ]Thank'S to all. I'll try itBut I think that's the same problem on all Linux Kodi distributions.

Thanks to all. I'll try it :-)
Thanks to all. I'm a idiot!
Normally I try everything by myself. I know sudo and some more but I've googled about this setting and found another idiot that tells the world that's not possible to change the settings within settings.xml
Meanwhile I've setup another sdcard with pi3d, so I was unable to test the tweaking of settings.xml by myself.

So. I can tell you ... it'S very easy to change the slidwshow.staytime.
Now it works perfect for me.

Next time i'll try by myself before write such a idiotic post. Sorry again.

Kind regards

Martin
Thread marked solved.