Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Poster resolution is not correct
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all, I am new to Kodi so need some direction. I have problems with having the sides of my movie posters cut off due to the resolution of my laptop. It is not 16:9 so while viewing my library, it really puts me off. If i change my screen resolution to 16:9, the poster seems fine but then i have to view it in a lower resolution than what my pc is capable of. Is there a way i can fix it and keep my laptop's resolution unchanged?
Thanks
Thread moved to the Estuary skin section.
(2020-08-26, 01:18)abhinavhira Wrote: [ -> ]If i change my screen resolution to 16:9, the poster seems fine but then i have to view it in a lower resolution than what my pc is capable of.

Are you perhaps using a 16:10 monitor? Or something with another different aspect ratio?
The system skin (Estuary) is based on a 720p/1080p screen, a 16:9 ratio.

Screens with a different resolution may have some deviations, as we cannot set up the screen for every possible screen resolution.
Estuary is also 21:9 aware, but there too can be a problem with different aspect ratios..
You will likely need to get your hands dirty and do some editing of the skin xml file. The method below I would advise trying is not something I can not test as I don't have any devices that aren't 16:9 ratio so I can't guarantee the following will work.

Locate the Kodi installation folder (you don't mention the OS so I can't be precise where this will be see https://kodi.wiki/view/Special_protocol and the install path for various OS's can be found where special://xbmc is mentioned) then in here can be found the addons folder under which will be the skin.estuary folder. In this folder you will find the file addon.xml open this in a text editor and find the following section

xml:
<extension point="xbmc.gui.skin" debugging="true">
<res width="1920" height="1440" aspect="4:3" default="false" folder="xml" />
<res width="1920" height="1280" aspect="3:2" default="false" folder="xml" />
<res width="1920" height="1200" aspect="16:10" default="false" folder="xml" />
<res width="2040" height="1080" aspect="17:9" default="false" folder="xml" />
<res width="1920" height="1080" aspect="16:9" default="true" folder="xml" />
<res width="2560" height="1080" aspect="21:9" default="false" folder="xml" />
<res width="2338" height="1080" aspect="19.5:9" default="false" folder="xml" />
<res width="2160" height="1080" aspect="18:9" default="false" folder="xml" />
</extension>

If your resolution is not covered by one of these then add it and save the file.