Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: YouTube
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Now I get 401 - invalid_client. 

I tried many times. What can I do about it?
Here is my "me too" experience with Youtube API problem:
- couple of weeks ago I did receive the email that 'Access to YouTube API Services disabled due to inactivity', where it could have been effectively true that I didn't access the API services for 90 days.
- after that email, I had only an occasional usage of the addon, but I could still watch my subscriptions, but e.g. videos didn't have any thumbnail, etc.
- about 3 days ago, after watching a couple of videos in a raw, I got the 'Quota exceeded' error, so I decided to proceed to create a new project with new credentials (which anyway was somewhat due as my API was already a few years old)
- once I done that (and with no reinstall of the addon), it's a couple of days that for me the Youtube addon works just fine again.
(2020-11-09, 23:41)poppascoop Wrote: [ -> ]Hello, I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and a fresh install of KODI and this YouTube add-on. But now when I try to watch videos they will pause for a split second every minute or two. It makes it impossible to use.
I tried lowering the stream quality to 480 and increasing the cache but neither of these helped. Any help would be appreciated.

Give or take the same problem.
It  seems that how much it stops and where it depends on each video.

Some are pretty much unwatchable cause they stop for long seconds and then skip forward without the audio. Have to stop and start the video once again.

Other videos literally start and then hang there, freezing kodi too for a minure or so.

I wonder if it is tied to the commercials in the stream flow and the current version of the plug in is not designed to address that
Trying to enter the API Key, Client ID, and Secret into You Tube settings with your remote will drive you insane. Videos on You Tube which attempt to show how its done are confusing or don't work.
There is a better method which I have found that is simple and works. I used a Windows PC but most any OS should work as well.

Find (or search with IP)  your Kodi device in your Network.
Click to open and display Kodi folders.
Select "addon_data" folder.
Select "plugin.video.youtube" folder.
Right click on "api_keys,json" and open with Notepad (I used Notepad++) Do not open in any browser.. it will not edit!
Copy and paste your 3 settings between the displayed " "
Save and exit.
Reboot Kodi and verify your settings appear.

How to get your API Key, Client ID, and Secret is beyond the scope of this post.
Good luck and stay safe.
@Wingfat - your post above has been merged into the main YouTube addon support thread (this current one) for correct consideration.

Just in case you were wondering where it had gone...
Hey, I'm getting more and more failures to play videos recently, here's output from Kodi log for one of the videos, it's just getting HTTP 503, but everything AFAIK is set up correctly including API keys

https://paste.kodi.tv/natudacuso.kodi
(2020-11-15, 19:22)marki Wrote: [ -> ]Hey, I'm getting more and more failures to play videos recently, here's output from Kodi log for one of the videos, it's just getting HTTP 503, but everything AFAIK is set up correctly including API keys

Me too actually, hitting the context menu and choosing to "play (ask for quality)" does allow me to play the content albeit at a lower quality. I am on a raspberry pi, I'll post logs soon and also an example vid.
(2020-11-16, 10:38)klendool Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-11-15, 19:22)marki Wrote: [ -> ]Hey, I'm getting more and more failures to play videos recently, here's output from Kodi log for one of the videos, it's just getting HTTP 503, but everything AFAIK is set up correctly including API keys

Me too actually, hitting the context menu and choosing to "play (ask for quality)" does allow me to play the content albeit at a lower quality. I am on a raspberry pi, I'll post logs soon and also an example vid.

Log here https://github.com/anxdpanic/plugin.vide...-727841599
I finally bit the bullet and bought a 4K TV, a 58" Insignia Fire TV edition. Prior to this I have been running Kodi and the YouTube addon on various devices, most recently a couple of Fire TV 4K Sticks (on a 1080P TV), but prior to that various Chinesium OTA TV boxes. With Fire TV built in on the new TV I just installed Kodi directly and copied over my configuration from the Firestick. Everything works perfectly at 4K except the Kodi YouTube addon. I have MPEG-DASH set up so if a YouTube video has 4K available it plays that way, but the colours are red/magenta shifted. It looks like faces and hands have rosacea. This does not happen with 4K content from Netflix, Prime Video, or any other 4K streaming or local files using Kodi.

My Google-fu found some references to some content not reporting the 4K colorspace so that Kodi player has to guess and it assumes the 2020 space when it is actually 709 (or vice-versa), but I don't know if this is what is happening since the posts I found about that were experiencing problems with all 4K playback, not just with the Kodi YouTube addon. Other posts I found suggested that it is related to hardware acceleration, and to try turning off the acceleration in the Kodi settings to see if it improves. Turning off "Allow hardware acceleration - MediaCodec" has no effect but disabling "Allow hardware acceleration - MediaCode (Surface)" does indeed correct the colours but then the video playback stutters and I lose HEVC playback so it's clearly not a viable solution.

This is my first 4K TV so I don't know if this happens on all Ultra-HD TVs but the fact that playing 4K from any other streaming app or Kodi addon works fine suggests there is something strange going on with the YouTube addon specifically. Has anybody seen this before?

UPDATE: Just did a quick test using the Fire TV X-Ray tools to see what colour space is being reported. With 1080p videos X-Ray reports the colour space as BT709, but as soon as I run 4K video it shows BT2020. If I turn "MediaCode (Surface)" acceleration off though X-Ray shows BT709  colour space for 4K videos so it definitely looks like the hardware accelerator is trying to play back with the wrong space. I can't leave it this way though because the video playback gets a bit jerky and the audio sync is off by a couple of seconds.
(2020-11-09, 23:41)poppascoop Wrote: [ -> ]Hello, I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and a fresh install of KODI and this YouTube add-on. But now when I try to watch videos they will pause for a split second every minute or two. It makes it impossible to use.
I tried lowering the stream quality to 480 and increasing the cache but neither of these helped. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm getting this intermittently too. Any solutions?

Sometimes stopping and restarting the stream fixes it. Other times videos play perfectly. Other times it'll buffer every few seconds and is unwatchable.

It's not a bandwidth issue, same videos will play perfectly on mobile or laptop.

It's appeared at some point over the last few weeks.
I recently got a HDMI-CEC adapter and since I added that to kodi I can only use youtube via the old method NOT using inputstream/dash. Is there something I need to config to make this work?

Hello everyone,
does it exist or is it planning to add variable speed rate function of video playback?

Thanks for your continued support of this great addon
Hello.

I am using youtube plugin from Simple PVR IPTV client to play live stream, and its working great. This is good way for videos with constant ID. I am trying to open youtube channel to see latest video, but can't find how to to this from m3u list for Simple PVR IPTV. For example you youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2eX4VN...OJVrKWb0Ew I am trying to use this entry:
#EXTINF:-1, YT test
plugin://plugin.video.youtube/channel/UC2eX4VNOdYtYaOJVrKWb0Ew/

Is it possible to open latest videos from youtube channel directly from m3u list in Simple PVR client?

Thank you.
(2020-11-11, 19:44)bitbanger Wrote: [ -> ]Here is my "me too" experience with Youtube API problem:
- couple of weeks ago I did receive the email that 'Access to YouTube API Services disabled due to inactivity', where it could have been effectively true that I didn't access the API services for 90 days.
- after that email, I had only an occasional usage of the addon, but I could still watch my subscriptions, but e.g. videos didn't have any thumbnail, etc.
- about 3 days ago, after watching a couple of videos in a raw, I got the 'Quota exceeded' error, so I decided to proceed to create a new project with new credentials (which anyway was somewhat due as my API was already a few years old)
- once I done that (and with no reinstall of the addon), it's a couple of days that for me the Youtube addon works just fine again.
me, too

does someone has a sample command available for integrating it into a cron job, to avoid the deactivation in the future?

Have you tried turning on mpeg dash? I just did, and it worked for me Smile

https://github.com/anxdpanic/plugin.vide...-729456225