Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: YouTube
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So it looks like you can still pull a list of subscriptions from the API.  Why can't you iterate through the subscribed channels and compile a list of videos?  This would generate the same info as the "my subscriptions".
(2020-11-26, 22:58)pgordash Wrote: [ -> ]So it looks like you can still pull a list of subscriptions from the API.  Why can't you iterate through the subscribed channels and compile a list of videos?  This would generate the same info as the "my subscriptions".
Because each step incurs a "cost" for every API access, and there's is a fixed upper limit on the total quota of API `points` for a given period of time.

Doing it alternate ways is certainly *possible* but very inefficient, from a programming and also API quota point of view.
My beloved app 'NewPipe' is still working - maybe they can join forces?
(2020-11-26, 23:03)kurai Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-11-26, 22:58)pgordash Wrote: [ -> ]So it looks like you can still pull a list of subscriptions from the API.  Why can't you iterate through the subscribed channels and compile a list of videos?  This would generate the same info as the "my subscriptions".
Because each step incurs a "cost" for every API access, and there's is a fixed upper limit on the total quota of API `points` for a given period of time.

Doing it alternate ways is certainly *possible* but very inefficient, from a programming and also API quota point of view.
Going through the subscribed channels manually would mean more API calls...

That might be the solution, someone already implemented that using Python. See datails here: https://stackoverflow.com/a/23620166/646215

Concerning the API calls, let me quote:
Quote:If you have 100 subscriptions and fetch 5 videos from each channel this will result in 114 API requests and use around 500 quota units (the daily limit is 50 million units). It will also take about 2 minutes to run if you don't parallelize the API calls.
so if YouTube pulled this list because it "wasn't useful" ... why do they still have the option on their page? ;-)

hopefully you guys can figure something out soon - cuz this is how I use this addon the most and it's aggravating that huge platforms deem
small fry like this (no offense intended) not worth their effort ... how much effort would they need to extend by keeping this or would it
be just when there's a conflict that it would be noticed and cause problems for them?

thanks for the work you put into it ... 

News from the developer(anxdpanic) on Github:
Quote:The return values for this API have changed, and don't provide the necessary information anymore. Since it is undocumented, discontinued, and no longer accessible from a public interface; it is unlikely I'll be able to resolve this. Will look into it further.
Doesn't look good ;( At least not for a quick solution...
Thanks to everyone helping to relay and explain the issue, I wasn't able to keep up to both github and the forum all day.

For the record, they didn't remove something from the Data API, which is used by the rest of the add-on. The My Subscriptions, Saved Playlists and Purchases, used youtube.com/tv which was discontinued last year, and appears the API is just starting to go offline now as well. (maybe temporarily, I have no way of knowing). There hasn't been access to any of these features or a proper Recommended from the Data API since I started working on the YouTube add-on sadly.

For the API quota short comings of some of the 'make shift' workarounds, they might work in a centralized database situation but sadly will not reasonably work in our situation.

Will keep looking into, and will have some other news in the near future.
Damn i relied on the my subscriptions section too much! hopefully we can get a fix Smile
It's a bummer.
The "My Subscription" tab is the most useful thing both in the web based youtube and the addon.
Yes, basically I only use “my subscriptions”.
Unfortunate, I hope this can be rectified.
(2020-11-26, 22:58)kurai Wrote: [ -> ]I'm having a hard time understanding why Youtube got rid of this feature.

Sure - I get that the whole Youtube video delivery service is just a convenient and incidental mechanism to use as a wrapper around Google's core business activity of shovelling ever more advertising at your eyeballs, but I don't really see how this change will be of any benefit for them in this regard.

Are they trying to unsubtly nudge their users into watching more of their promoted content or increase exposure to additional channels, rather than stick with content from ones they already subscribe to ?
Will this really have an impact on advertising revenue, or reduce costs of delivering the video service ?

Who the hell knows what the mysterious Youtube Black Magic Algorithm Overlord is actually trying to achieve here.  Devil

I cannot understand their logic or reasoning either. My guess was something similar, they dont want us deciding what we watch, they want to decide what we watch and control us via their algorithm. Even searching for things has become much harder on youtube in recent years, much like google. The results are what they want to push not what I am seeking. Completely sanitized of anything they deem unfit.
(2020-11-26, 16:35)Wanderlei Wrote: [ -> ]Its insane they remove key feature. Of all the feeds to pull they choose the main one most people would use.

Youtube did make this add-on, viewing sub videos still works on the official apps and website.

They're probably aware of things like this allowing people to watch videos without adds and not very fond of it so they just crippled what is available to developers.
This API change has made the YT addon completely useless to me. Here's hoping a workaround can be found to fix it soon.
At this point, it might be easier to webscrape the youtube subscription pages lol