Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: YouTube
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The alpha 2 version was working fine for a couple of days but now buffering/stuttering issues returned. I went to videos I just played and they were  buffering/stuttering when I played them minutes ago with no problem. I have tried with mpeg-dash on/off it makes no difference.
Installed Alpha1 a few days ago and it completely solved the stuttering problem, but a few minutes ago between one video playback and another it came back with a vengeance. Came here and got the Alpha2 build but it was still stuttering horribly and unusable. Deleted my function and data caches and restarted Kodi and it seems to be ok again. If Alpha2 doesn't work for you try killing those two caches.
(2021-10-12, 19:24)arsMOBILIS Wrote: [ -> ]Installed Alpha1 a few days ago and it completely solved the stuttering problem, but a few minutes ago between one video playback and another it came back with a vengeance. Came here and got the Alpha2 build but it was still stuttering horribly and unusable. Deleted my function and data caches and restarted Kodi and it seems to be ok again. If Alpha2 doesn't work for you try killing those two caches.

I'm on alpha 2, and I was about to suggest the same thing as I also got hit with the same issues a few minutes ago. Videos were also broken and giving 403 errors in the log. Clearing those two caches has fixed everything.
(2021-10-12, 19:37)snesmaster40 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm on alpha 2, and I was about to suggest the same thing as I also got hit with the same issues a few minutes ago. Videos were also broken and giving 403 errors in the log. Clearing those two caches has fixed everything.

Where can I find these caches? Alpha2 worked fine yesterday, but today it's unusable for me.
(2021-10-12, 20:20)Temar Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-10-12, 19:37)snesmaster40 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm on alpha 2, and I was about to suggest the same thing as I also got hit with the same issues a few minutes ago. Videos were also broken and giving 403 errors in the log. Clearing those two caches has fixed everything.

Where can I find these caches? Alpha2 worked fine yesterday, but today it's unusable for me.

From the Youtube plugin, go to Settings and then the Maintenance tab.
(2021-10-12, 12:12)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]Neither watch later or the history are made visible to the API by Google, so the addon can't access them.

The workaround is to make a normal playlist instead of Watch Later, and use that in the same way (save things to it rather than the watch later list). The addon can be configured to use that new playlist as a source, and as it is visible to the API (it's just a normal playlist, not a special one like watch later) then it will work.

The route above could be another option (as a way to make the playlist visible to the API), but I haven't tested it to see if it works or not (Google have an annoying tendency of breaking things like this, just because they can).

The work around for the official Watch Later works. I use it daily, including adding embedded videos via 3rd party websites. But a playlist does need to be made for History.

There are better instructions for the work around in the thread but I don't have time to find them at the moment. Seraching my posts would do it though.
(2021-10-12, 19:37)snesmaster40 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-10-12, 19:24)arsMOBILIS Wrote: [ -> ]Installed Alpha1 a few days ago and it completely solved the stuttering problem, but a few minutes ago between one video playback and another it came back with a vengeance. Came here and got the Alpha2 build but it was still stuttering horribly and unusable. Deleted my function and data caches and restarted Kodi and it seems to be ok again. If Alpha2 doesn't work for you try killing those two caches.

I'm on alpha 2, and I was about to suggest the same thing as I also got hit with the same issues a few minutes ago. Videos were also broken and giving 403 errors in the log. Clearing those two caches has fixed everything.
Had this stuttering on a load of videos recently, on pre-alpha1/2, then I upgraded to alpha2 and cleared the caches but it didn't fix anything unfortunately.

It's random, some videos just won't load at all, some loads but stutters, some that stutters work if you reload them, some never work...

On Kodi nightly build btw, 20.0-ALPHA1 (19.90.101) 2021/10/11
I just registered to comment here, I was having the aforementioned buffering problems and installing alpha 2 solved the issue immediately. I was so glad I didn't have to setup my YouTube API settings again! I'm now watching 2160p60fps youtube content with no buffering at all! Yay! Thank you.
I just downloaded Alpha 2 and 3 seconds into the video it is stuttering and stopping. I closed Kodi and restarted but no luck. I am still using 18.9. Let me know if you have any more suggestions for success. Cleared my cache but not sure what else can be helpful.
Thanks!
I just wanted to add, if I let it buffer it plays fine.
Same issue here. Restarting the video helped in the past, eventually it would run flawlessly, it has been like that for me for years.
But now it seems it's unfixable.

It's as if I was getting terrible routing and at some point, eventually got a good one.

I am surprised this is a larger issue many people seem(ed) to have.

Edit: Used Alpha2 and deleted caches.
Installed Alpha2, deleted function and data caches, still stuttering and buffering.
(2021-10-13, 09:07)russco Wrote: [ -> ]Installed Alpha2, deleted function and data caches, still stuttering and buffering.
The frustrating thing is that there is nothing in kodi.log that could be used to route info back to the developers for debugging this. You only see kind of the end result in the log, that the MPG decoding pipeline doesn't get any new frames to show. Is there a way to enable the youtube plugin for detailed logging somewhere?
FWIW I have the same issues for the last year (since using Kodi 19) on and off but much worse of late. I even create a new user on linux and clean install - same issue

1. I have created a new clean install with nothing else - stuttering / buffering persists.
2. Moved the MediaC to another house - stuttering / buffering persists.
3. Changed to different API keys - stuttering / buffering persists.

Like the others have said it's inconsistent but becoming worse and the majority of clips. Heck even 480p buffers and stutters.

Yet I can play Vimeo 4k and etc that don't buffer at all and start playback within a second.
Yet if I open Firefox I can play those same videos instantly through YouTube and at max res without any issues.