Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Transcoding 7.1 audio to 5.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got an LG C9 OLED TV, an Nvidia Shield Pro 2019, and a Vizio SB3651-E6 soundbar with 5.1 surround sound.
The Shield is plugged into one of the TV's HDMI ports, and the soundbar is attached to a different HDMI port that supports ARC.

Whenever I play a video with 5.1 sound, it works great and I get the proper surround sound (Vizio's app shows it as "DTS 5.1" or "AC3 5.1" or similar). However, if I play a video that only has 7.1 sound, only 2 channels play, and Vizio's app shows it as "CDDA, 2.0". This sounds quite bad as the center channel is missing.

How do I get Kodi to transcode the 7.1 audio to 5.1 rather than the sound bar just treating it as 2.0?

What I've tried so far:
  • Number of channels is set to 5.1 in Kodi.
  • I've tried disabling the DTS-HD and TrueHD passthrough options in the Nvidia Shield options.
  • I've tried toggling the "passthrough" option in Kodi on and off
Any ideas?

Thanks!
Set speaker channels to 2.0! Enable passthrough. Enable AC3 and enable dolby transcoding.

That's it.

People are confused with the PCM channel settings since the beginning of time. Soundbars mostly only support 2 pcm channels, but support virtual formats like Dolby, which tunnel 6 chanels via two PCM transport channels. Think of it like a truck. While only one vehicle is allowed to drive on a lane, it packs 20 cars on his back.

PS: if your box does not properly implement AC3, you are Out of luck.
(2020-09-14, 08:38)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Set speaker channels to 2.0! Enable passthrough. Enable AC3 and enable dolby transcoding.
I can't find the options to enable AC3 and Dolby transcoding. From what I've read elsewhere on the forum, these should appear if I set number of channels to 2.0... I did that, restarted Kodi, and the option still doesn't appear.
Just figured out that I had to change the settings level to "advanced" to see those settings... Just changed that, and now I'm seeing 5.1 audio! Thanks for your help Smile
(2020-09-14, 09:07)Daniel15 Wrote: [ -> ]Just figured out that I had to change the settings level to "advanced" to see those settings... Just changed that, and now I'm seeing 5.1 audio! Thanks for your help Smile

same soundbar but using a 4k fs
same settings?

also with dts streamsĀ  i only get audio if i disable passthrough?
(2020-09-14, 08:08)Daniel15 Wrote: [ -> ]I've got an LG C9 OLED TV, an Nvidia Shield Pro 2019, and a Vizio SB3651-E6 soundbar with 5.1 surround sound.
The Shield is plugged into one of the TV's HDMI ports, and the soundbar is attached to a different HDMI port that supports ARC.

Whenever I play a video with 5.1 sound, it works great and I get the proper surround sound (Vizio's app shows it as "DTS 5.1" or "AC3 5.1" or similar). However, if I play a video that only has 7.1 sound, only 2 channels play, and Vizio's app shows it as "CDDA, 2.0". This sounds quite bad as the center channel is missing.

How do I get Kodi to transcode the 7.1 audio to 5.1 rather than the sound bar just treating it as 2.0?

What I've tried so far:
  • Number of channels is set to 5.1 in Kodi.
  • I've tried disabling the DTS-HD and TrueHD passthrough options in the Nvidia Shield options.
  • I've tried toggling the "passthrough" option in Kodi on and off
Any ideas?

Thanks!

have u tried the latest firmware on the e6 its 2.9.2 i find its improved the movie eq but now direct isnt what it was but overall i like the movie eq cause now i can watch regular cable tv with satelites working where as before i couldnt
i cant get sound on dts tracks unless i disable passthrough same soundbar

best match
pass output device iec packer recomm
ac3 enabled
ac3 trans enabled
dd+ disabledĀ 
dts-hd disabled