Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Skin Helper Service Error, new install (Kodi version 18.7, Add-on repository 1.13)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I have a nearly constant message on my screen "Skin Helper Service Error". I have 3 skins installed (Estuary, Rapier and Aura). I see the error flashing on all 3 skins. In Rapier, I see extreme delays (screen freezing for up to 15 seconds) at the time I see the errors in the log. I see the errors on multiple screens and areas of the app. I tried uninstalling Kodi and reinstalling from scratch twice, always same results. I tried reinstalling the add-on from the Kodi version 1.1.3 Add-on repository, no luck.

From the log:

020-09-17 17:35:54.491 T:2383409360   ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting plugin://script.skin.helper.service/?action=alphabet&reload=0
^[2020-09-17 17:38:58.670 T:2742018256   ERROR: Previous line repeats 1 times.
2020-09-17 17:38:58.670 T:2742018256   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                             - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                            Error Type: <type 'exceptions.ImportError'>
                                            Error Contents: No module named functools_lru_cache
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "/home/pi/.kodi/addons/script.skin.helper.widgets/plugin.py", line 9, in <module>
                                                import main
                                              File "/home/pi/.kodi/addons/script.skin.helper.widgets/resources/lib/main.py", line 18, in <module>
                                                from metadatautils import MetadataUtils, process_method_on_list
                                              File "/home/pi/.kodi/addons/script.module.metadatautils/lib/metadatautils.py", line 9, in <module>
                                                from helpers.animatedart import AnimatedArt
                                              File "/home/pi/.kodi/addons/script.module.metadatautils/lib/helpers/animatedart.py", line 6, in <module>
                                                from utils import get_json, DialogSelect, log_msg, ADDON_ID
                                              File "/home/pi/.kodi/addons/script.module.metadatautils/lib/helpers/utils.py", line 12, in <module>
                                                import arrow
                                              File "/home/pi/.kodi/addons/script.module.arrow/lib/arrow/__init__.py", line 3, in <module>
                                                from .api import get, now, utcnow
                                              File "/home/pi/.kodi/addons/script.module.arrow/lib/arrow/api.py", line 10, in <module>
                                                from arrow.factory import ArrowFactory
                                              File "/home/pi/.kodi/addons/script.module.arrow/lib/arrow/factory.py", line 18, in <module>
                                                from arrow import parser
                                              File "/home/pi/.kodi/addons/script.module.arrow/lib/arrow/parser.py", line 15, in <module>
                                                from backports.functools_lru_cache import lru_cache  # pragma: no cover
                                            ImportError: No module named functools_lru_cache

020-09-17 17:40:07.810 T:2707534032   ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting plugin://script.skin.helper.widgets/?action=next&mediatype=episodes&limit=20&reload=

2020-09-17 17:40:15.300 T:2707534032   ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting plugin://script.skin.helper.widgets/?mediatype=favourites&reload=

2020-09-17 17:40:17.563 T:2689700048 WARNING: CPythonInvoker(1, /home/pi/.kodi/addons/script.extendedinfo/plugin.py): the python script "/home/pi/.kodi/addons/script.extendedinfo/plugin.py" has left several classes in memory that we couldn't clean up. The classes include: N9XBMCAddon7xbmcgui10DialogBusyE

I can't automatically update to 18.8 because 18.7 is the latest version in my distro repo. I can't manually update Kodi, the Kodi downlaod page for Raspberry Pi isn't functional (https://kodi.tv/download-thanks). It says "Download started" but no file every downloads (no direct link is provided). I tried it in 3 browsers.

I am a new user and this has been a very frustrating experience. I can't really use Kodi with these errors flashing constantly on the screen. Is Kodi broken out of the box? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I have an update, I have been monitoring the logs and it looks like these error messages are flooding the log. Kodi is using 300%+ of the CPU and it overheating my Raspberry Pie 4B to 85c.

This is after a clean install plus installing the the Aura and Rapier skins. I have not customized the skins at all or installed any other add-ons or plugins.

How could this skin helper service be causing such problems? I tried installing the private repo for the skin helper service but it was several years old. Is there a way to troubleshoot or fix the issue?
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
(2020-09-18, 05:05)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
Thank you for the info, I appreciate your help.

Here is the link: https://paste.kodi.tv/zuviceqigu.kodi

For this log, I opened Kodi and navigated around a bit, changed the skin from Aura or Rapier. I saw this "Skin Helper Service Error" on all skins in this session. My Pi started to overheat (85c) after a few minutes and I closed Kodi. Note: I can get 350% cpu usage and a stream of error notifications on the screen just idling as well (not interacting with Kodi)-- it seems to get stuck in a loop.

Once the CPU spiked it does not come back down again unless I exit Kodi.

I had the same issues yesterday, I uninstalled the application completely and reinstalled with the same results.
You should try downgrading addons from marcelveldt's repo to the official versions from Kodi's addon repo.

That will probably remove most of the addon errors.

- script.tv.show.next.aired
- script.module.thetvdb
- script.module.metadatautils
- script.skin.helper.widgets
- script.skin.helper.service
- script.skin.helper.skinbackup

Make sure the development repo doesn't auto update the addons to the development versions.
(2020-09-18, 05:58)ioo+kod Wrote: [ -> ]Here is the link: https://paste.kodi.tv/zuviceqigu.kodi

For this log, I opened Kodi and navigated around a bit, changed the skin from Aura or Rapier. I saw this "Skin Helper Service Error" on all skins in this session. My Pi started to overheat (85c) after a few minutes and I closed Kodi. Note: I can get 350% cpu usage and a stream of error notifications on the screen just idling as well (not interacting with Kodi)-- it seems to get stuck in a loop.

I had the same issues yesterday, I uninstalled the application completely and reinstalled with the same results.

Have you installed "script.module.backports.functools_lru_cache" that is required.
Your log says "Error Contents: No module named functools_lru_cache".

If you don't have it installed, try it with script.module.backports.functools_lru_cache
I just looked at your protocol again. You installed "script.module.backports.functools_lru_cache".

I use the skin.helper.service version 1.1.32 in connection with the skin "Titan MOD" from the Bingie repository.
That should work for you too.

Your version numbers of the individual modules from the skin.helper.service are already very out of date.
(2020-09-18, 05:58)ioo+kod Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-09-18, 05:05)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.

Thank you for the info, I appreciate your help.

Here is the link: https://paste.kodi.tv/zuviceqigu.kodi

Hi,

Thanks for the info.  You mentioned "You should try downgrading addons from marcelveldt's repo to the official versions from Kodi's addon repo."

Are you saying I should use the official version from the Kodi's addon repo to fix the error? If so, I think I am and it is broken right out of the repo. Here is what I did:

1. Uninstalled Kodi, removed .kodi folder from /home
2. Reinstalled Kodi.
3. Immediately went to Add-on,  installed Skin Helper Service.
4. It installed 5 or 6 dependencies correctly then throws an error:

ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                            - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                           Error Type: <type 'exceptions.ImportError'>
                                           Error Contents: No module named functools_lru_cache

This is all unconfigured Kodi defaults. I am using Version 1.13 "Kodi Add-on repository". Aren't I using the official Kodi add-on repo?

I have no idea what to do next. Does this essential add-on not work right out of the official repo?
(2020-09-19, 02:01)Fuchs2468 Wrote: [ -> ]I just looked at your protocol again. You installed "script.module.backports.functools_lru_cache".

I use the skin.helper.service version 1.1.32 in connection with the skin "Titan MOD" from the Bingie repository.
That should work for you too.

Your version numbers of the individual modules from the skin.helper.service are already very out of date.
Thanks for your assistance.  I think I am using the official Kodi add-on repo version. Is the official version out of date?

Is it possible to install the version you are using from the Bingie repository without installing the Titan MOD skin?
If you install the Bingie repository or Marcelveldt's repo (which was in your log), you will get all the development versions and experimental features.
That's some of the reason for the errors.

Some of the addons in that repo is not working properly (eg. script.tv.show.next.aired).
The ones in the official Kodi addon repo does.

Can you please provide a debug log from after the Reinstall?
(2020-10-02, 00:02)Gade Wrote: [ -> ]If you install the Bingie repository or Marcelveldt's repo (which was in your log), you will get all the development versions and experimental features.

Some of the addons in that repo is not working properly (eg. script.tv.show.next.aired).

Are you sure that the cause of the addons that are not working is due to the third party repo addons? I added those repo after I had the error in an attempt to research and get it working. I would have no reason (or knowledge)  to add them unless there was a problem in the first place. I am a new user just trying to get one of the default out of the box skins working. I have been working on this for hours.

I wiped everything away and started fresh, as I mentioned and with no media added, and no third party repos and configuration at all I get those errors right from a fresh install.

I suspect the addons in the official Kodi repo are not working. I don't know what else to do at this point. A fresh Kodi install and as soon as I try to install one of several skins or even just install the skin helper service alone and I get an error that ends up overheating my pi. I have attached my new log.

Here is exactly what I did, step by step:

1. uninstall Kodi (from Add/Remove Software)
2. delete.kodi folder from /home
3. Reinstall Kodi (from Add/Remove Software)
4. Start Kodi
5. Click on Gear icon, Event Log -> Settings ->Enable debug logging
6. Exit Kodi (Power button)
7. Start Kodi
8. Add-ons->Enter add-on browser-> Download->Look and Feel->Skin->Rapier->Install
Notification that "The following additional add-ons will be installed."
- Skin Helper Service 1.13 is one of them
9. Click Ok, Downloading...
-Several dependency Addons are installed...

"Skin Helper Service error (a big red x on the screen)"
Check the log for more information.

The error keeps flashing on the screen over and over.

10. Exit Kodi-> Power button Exit.

Here is the log, you can see the errors at the bottom: https://paste.kodi.tv/emupehitey.kodi
(2020-10-02, 00:41)ioo+kod Wrote: [ -> ]"Skin Helper Service error (a big red x on the screen)"
Out of the blue, I started getting the same error several days ago.

Did you ever find a solution?
(2020-10-02, 00:41)ioo+kod Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-10-02, 00:02)Gade Wrote: [ -> ]If you install the Bingie repository or Marcelveldt's repo (which was in your log), you will get all the development versions and experimental features.

Are you sure that the cause of the addons that are not working is due to the third party repo addons? I added those repo after I had the error in an attempt to research and get it working. I would have no reason (or knowledge)  to add them unless there was a problem in the first place. I am a new user just trying to get one of the default out of the box skins working. I have been working on this for hours.

I wiped everything away and started fresh, as I mentioned and with no media added, and no third party repos and configuration at all I get those errors right from a fresh install.

I suspect the addons in the official Kodi repo are not working. I don't know what else to do at this point. A fresh Kodi install and as soon as I try to install one of several skins or even just install the skin helper service alone and I get an error that ends up overheating my pi. I have attached my new log.

Here is exactly what I did, step by step:

1. uninstall Kodi (from Add/Remove Software)
2. delete.kodi folder from /home
3. Reinstall Kodi (from Add/Remove Software)
4. Start Kodi
5. Click on Gear icon, Event Log -> Settings ->Enable debug logging
6. Exit Kodi (Power button)
7. Start Kodi
8. Add-ons->Enter add-on browser-> Download->Look and Feel->Skin->Rapier->Install
Notification that "The following additional add-ons will be installed."
- Skin Helper Service 1.13 is one of them
9. Click Ok, Downloading...
-Several dependency Addons are installed...

"Skin Helper Service error (a big red x on the screen)"
Check the log for more information.

The error keeps flashing on the screen over and over.

10. Exit Kodi-> Power button Exit.

Here is the log, you can see the errors at the bottom: https://paste.kodi.tv/emupehitey.kodi
I have the same problem, raspbian fresh installation and kodi was the first software installed using apt-get.
All was ok, but when I installed Rapier (that I love Wink ) Skin helper service error starts to blink.
I tried, and tried to solve the issue but in the end, I had to uninstall/reinstall Kodi. No more third-party repos for me. Not worth the trouble.
(2021-01-13, 19:41)jeffshead Wrote: [ -> ]I tried, and tried to solve the issue but in the end, I had to uninstall/reinstall Kodi. No more third-party repos for me. Not worth the trouble.

I do not use 3rd party repos 🤔