Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Watching Kodi at work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got the latest version of Kodi installed and everything setup for viewing. I can access the web interface locally, namely from the machine that's running Kodi. The whole purpose of this is so I can watch movies at work. I work in a seasonally retail location, and we get about 3-4 customers on my shift total, if we're lucky. So how can I use the web interface and view movies from remote locations. I've been searching for several hours now and can't find a thing. All anything talks about is the local interface.
Kodi is primarily designed to work locally so you won't find a lot of information trying to get Kodi to stream to locations outside your local network.

You best look at another solution to meet your needs. I believe Plex does what you need.
(2020-09-18, 06:57)Aknight2015 Wrote: [ -> ]So how can I use the web interface and view movies from remote locations.

Perhaps you can be a bit more specific on the "remote locations" part?
While its totally possible to get Kodi to work remotely, its technicality difficult for most people (either running your own VPN server so you can securely access your home network, or trying to access your media via a protocol that a lot of corporate networks would probably filter/block)

Plex does this all for you, securely and easily, not to mention all the adaptive transcoding options

Kodi is best when used locally, it is a media player, not a media server
You can setup Emby Server at home, add your libraries, sign up to NO-IP.org and create a url. Then Setup Emby to use that url. At your remote Kodi, setup the Emby plugin to connect to the url from NO-IP that you created before and then you can watch your movies at work! Remember that you have to have a good upload rate at your home line in order to achieve all of the above....

Forgot to mention that you will also have to forward port 8096 at your router, to point to the IP of the PC that you have Emby Server running.
Dare I suggest a portable external drive, loaded up for bear? No bandwidth issues, No privacy concerns, No buffering, and better choices?