Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Set different subtitle colors for SDR and for HDR content
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Kodi 19 adds a feature to set the subtitles to Dark Grey, fit for HDR content. However, it is quite annoying currently, as it leaves the subtitles way too dark when watching SDR content. 

Kodi 19 should add a feature to select different subtitle colors for SDR and HDR content, so the subtitles are appropriately bright while watching either SDR or HDR. 

Currently you have to manually change the settings every single time you switch between watching SDR and HDR, which isn't really a viable option in practice.
(2020-09-21, 17:02)kristofferR Wrote: [ -> ]Kodi 19 adds a feature to set the subtitles to Dark Grey, fit for HDR content. However, it is quite annoying currently, as it leaves the subtitles way too dark when watching SDR content. 

Kodi 19 should add a feature to select different subtitle colors for SDR and HDR content, so the subtitles are appropriately bright while watching either SDR or HDR. 

Currently you have to manually change the settings every single time you switch between watching SDR and HDR, which isn't really a viable option in practice.
Not sure if this is possible. Use mkvcleaver (part of mkvtoolnix) to extract the subtitles, then use notepad++ to change the colour.
This is in the feature request sub-forum, not the support one.

I know it's not possible currently, that's why it's a feature request Tongue
(2020-09-21, 22:06)kristofferR Wrote: [ -> ]This is in the feature request sub-forum, not the support one.

I know it's not possible currently, that's why it's a feature request Tongue

As I assume this request will take time to implement I thought I might offer a possible solution in the meantime.
It'a actually a good idea I think as I imagine most users have to turn down the brightness on subtitles that are rendered over HDR video.

scott s.
(2020-09-22, 22:32)scott967 Wrote: [ -> ]It'a actually a good idea I think as I imagine most users have to turn down the brightness on subtitles that are rendered over HDR video.

scott s.

Yeah, I agree. It's almost shocking that services like Netflix just use blinding white subtitles (but they're exceptionally stupid with subtitles in general, like hiding subtitles)
As there been any work toward this since 2020, or another workaround than "edit subtitles externally"?
(2023-09-06, 21:44)amoniz Wrote: [ -> ]As there been any work toward this since 2020, or another workaround than "edit subtitles externally"?
In Kodi 21 alpha there is a setting to set OSD/subtitles brightness in HDR mode, as a percentage. GUI peak luminance in HDR PQ mode.

"Sets the peak luminance level for GUI Elements while the display is in HDR PQ mode. This affects all OSD, subtitles and graphics that are SDR in origin."

I am not sure what happens with PGS subtitles but maybe those are considered HDR in origin?

(the setting might be available in Kodi 20 too, I simply don't have it installed and cannot check)
It seems that it should be present in Kodi 20 if I believe the labels and milestone on the corresponding pull request, or even the wiki that says "Page updated for v20" but I just checked and I don't have this setting. Huh

I'm using LibreELEC 11.0.3 (Kodi 20.2) on a Raspberry Pi 4, could it be that this setting is unavailable on this platform?
(cannot edit my own previous post)

I'm dumb, it says right on the pull request that this is for Windows only.

Relevant LibreELEC thread
(2023-09-06, 22:38)amoniz Wrote: [ -> ]even the wiki that says "Page updated for v20" but I just checked and I don't have this setting.
https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Player/Subtitles
(2023-09-06, 22:40)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2023-09-06, 22:38)amoniz Wrote: [ -> ]even the wiki that says "Page updated for v20" but I just checked and I don't have this setting.
https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Player/Subtitles
?
You linked to a wiki page that has nothing to do with subtitles.
I gave you the correct link.
Oh OK, thanks but no, I linked to the page containing the "GUI peak luminance in HDR PQ mode" setting. 😊
(2023-09-06, 22:40)amoniz Wrote: [ -> ](cannot edit my own previous post)

I'm dumb, it says right on the pull request that this is for Windows only.

Relevant LibreELEC thread
Hopefully it can be implemented for other platforms. It make sense and works well in Windows.
Pages: 1 2