Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 5.1 Audio with only soundbar question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Windows 10
Kodi 18.4

I ordered a Samsung HW-MS650 soundbar with the wireless rear speakers. I did some reading and it looks like Kodi passing DTS thru a soundbar even when it's capable of 5.1 can be hit and miss. I don't have a reciever, I'm wondering if anyone here runs Kodi with an HW-MS650? My soundbar's not coming for a week or so and I'm trying to figure out before hand if I'll need a reciever to get DTS.

Another question, I read how Kodi doesn't work with HDMI ARC for 5.1, is that a Kodi limitation? I know a lot of televisions don't either, but my LG supports DTS over ARC. Would Kodi still not passthru anything above 2ch audio to my TV without a receiver?
I have an old LG TV and looking at the specs, I didn't see anything about ARC but I do connect with my AVR which does support ARC and appears to work for the analog 2 channel support the TV outputs. If your TV does support digital ARC output or passthrough, then the type of signal might be useful.
(2020-09-22, 10:53)quebert Wrote: [ -> ]Kodi doesn't work with HDMI ARC for 5.1
This thread might be a bit more informative.