Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Confirm whether Kodi traffic is being routed through the configured proxy server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Rekindling an old topic, here: [how] can we confirm whether Kodi traffic is being routed through the configured proxy server?

Please note that I am not asking what a Proxy Server is, nor what the difference between a proxy server and a VPN service is.  I really just have a simple question: can we confirm whether the configuration is actually working?

As many others have noted in similar posts, changing the hostname of the proxy server makes no difference.  Addons work regardless of whether the specified proxy hostname is actually resolvable.  When I turn on debugging, the log shows DEBUG: Using proxy specified.proxy.tld, type 5, regardless of whether a valid proxy server is specified.

Why do I care about using a proxy server with Kodi, even though it's [as many will jump to say] "antiquated" technology?  Well, it's the only solution Kodi seems to natively support for "alternate" Internet access.

My client configuration:
  1. Windows 10 Professional version 2009
  2. Kodi 18.8 (18.8.0)
  3. Xanax build v2.6
  4. IPVanish VPN paid service
  5. SOCKS5 proxy
For the purpose of answering the posted question, I believe the information provided should suffice.

I'm looking forward to helpful comments.  Stay safe, folks!
(2020-09-24, 23:18)mia2wa Wrote: [ -> ]Rekindling an old topic, here:
(2020-09-24, 23:18)mia2wa Wrote: [ -> ]I'm looking forward to helpful comments. 

Allow me to rekindle our forum rules (wiki) for you: no support for setups that have any type of add-ons or builds onboard that facilitate video piracy.

Also, we do have a VPN policy (wiki) here.
Thank you, @Klojum.

To be clear, nobody said anything about video piracy. Whether good or bad, having the ability to do something should not imply that you have or will have done it. That said...

Mea culpa. I should have read the VPN policy.

Believe it or not, this did end up being a helpful comment. 👍
(2020-09-25, 00:44)mia2wa Wrote: [ -> ]nobody said anything about video piracy.

Yes, actually you did: Xanax build v2.6. It's one of those well-known packages that provides not-100%-legal video solutions.
And sure, we cannot and will not tell you what to do with your Kodi device. But we can however choose whether or not to give support.

(2020-09-25, 00:44)mia2wa Wrote: [ -> ]Believe it or not, this did end up being a helpful comment.

Well, imagine that.